Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,320 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I am doing one full time job and I got offer another full time job ..
I just want to know that ..if you are doing both full time at the same time did you see any problem so far or did any of the employer got that you are doing two job ?

Please reply ...thank you .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,004 times
I am working as a logistics assistant now and im planning to work at night as call center agent. Is it legal in terms of paying my tax, insurances and other benifits by both company?

Old 10-20-2016, 02:11 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
eman16, nothing illegal about it. One or both employers may not like it and can certainly fire you for it if they choose to.

As for taxes, if your an w-2 type employee your taxes will be deducted and you'll be issued the w-4 to file.
If you have health coverage from both it's likely you'll be paying a portion for each, I'd look at declining coverage from and note reason for decline is that you other available coverage.

Benefits are additional advantages over what's legally mandated, shouldn't be any conflicts there.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:25 PM

216 posts, read 372,882 times
It would be legal but double check the company's policy regarding second jobs. At my company I need to declare and get prior authorization if I want to work a second job.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:09 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,799 times
legal yes. against company policy? probably.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:33 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
Have a friend that does contract merchandising work for several different companies. She'll work Tuesday at X mall doing all 4 or 6 lines, Wed at Z mall ect. Most of these type of jobs pay for 2-3 hours per store, so she can actually do all the work needed.

But the best part is each pay mileage and give a phone allowance. She makes more weekly on the mileage than hourly.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:47 AM

29 posts, read 73,486 times
Ok so this thread is really old, but it's a high google result so I'm going to reply.

First, you should try and get the 2nd job to hire you as 1099. This is much better as job #2 can't say you were under any kind of rulebook that constrains you. Then you should inform your Job #1 that you have an unrelated side business that you do outside of working hours just as a courtesy. This shouldn't be an issue.

If you do it secretly, it seems like it's destined to fail. One that came to mind is you'd obviously want to get the 401k match at both companies, but what if they both had the same 401k provider? Busted!

It goes without saying you can no longer exist on Linkedin, facebook, and you can never attend any kind of conference again. That kind of living, at least for most people, is untenable.

It's worth finding a second job as a 1099 or corp to corp employee so you can keep your life.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
I'm not adding anything new here, but I think this is at the very least unethical if you are not transparent with both companies. At my company we are required to disclose all other employment. That isn't to say all other employment is prohibited, but we are required to disclose it, largely for conflict of interest reasons. Many posters have urged utmost secrecy. There's a reason for that. If it was something you should be doing, there would be no reason for secrecy.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I'm not adding anything new here, but I think this is at the very least unethical if you are not transparent with both companies. At my company we are required to disclose all other employment. That isn't to say all other employment is prohibited, but we are required to disclose it, largely for conflict of interest reasons. Many posters have urged utmost secrecy. There's a reason for that. If it was something you should be doing, there would be no reason for secrecy.
I respectfully disagree. And my reasoning is this: companies can fire/terminate you for any reason whatsoever, simply to save money, add to shareholder's value or to meet a budget. Is that ethical? Moral? I say no.

It's kill or be killed in Corporate America. Do what you can to get ahead. If that means working for 2 different companies in different non-competing industries, go for it. More power to you.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:30 AM

44 posts, read 83,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomarn View Post
Hi-

I am doing one full time job and I got offer another full time job ..
I just want to know that ..if you are doing both full time at the same time did you see any problem so far or did any of the employer got that you are doing two job ?

Please reply ...thank you .
I know its an old thread but I wanted to write about a strategy you could use to do 2 (or more jobs) and win.

Rather than 2 jobs on W2, try to get both on corp to corp, open a company using legalzoom and bill both via your company. Pay yourself a small wage and the income from the business flows back to you as a K1 taxed at capital gains rate and you have only 1 W2. Future background checks will not reveal 2 jobs.

Say you earn 100k (50$/hr) , 2 jobs makes that 200k. You are taxed at ~40%.
So net income is 120k.All this hassle for 120k!

Now lets say you do as I suggest, you bill at around 80$/hr (contracting usually pays 20-30$ more than FT) , 2 jobs makes it 160/hr i.e. 320k a year. (assuming 2000hrs a year)

Now you pay yourself 100k,then expenses are taken out of your gross revenue and the balance is passed through back to your 1040.
320 -100-(100k expenses, healthcare, IRA, credit card, etc) = 120k This is your K1.
Now this is considered pass through income taxed at 15%.
Now your 100k is taxed at say 20% ordinary income tax =80k
120k taxed at 15% = 102k

Net income = 182k!

You made more money, reported only 1 W2 and worked 2 jobs!

<Disclaimer I am not a tax professional, this is just a wage and financial engineering suggestion, contact your CPA for accuracy>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment