Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 02:14 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,355,323 times

Advertisements

I like Indeed and use it frequently. I've also gotten a few jobs from there. A 2-day old ad is not an issue for me. If I feel qualified, I apply. But I don't use it as the only source for job searching. I also check Monster, Careerbuilder and Craigslist daily and actually find at least one unique job on each site.

OP, its seems you have a million and one excuses for why so many job search tactics don't work and so very few that do. Weren't you a career or job counselor of some sort? Its just funny that so many things you pan and frown upon actually do work for some people.

I mean, what is working for you?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,889,737 times
Who hires the first, OP? Seriously, the best will get hired, and all ads run many days to accumulate sufficient responses, so as to obtain tons of qualified candidates.

BTW, indeed is an aggregator, and all aggregators will not post new jobs in real time, as they simply update their queries from other sites, at various times of each day.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:17 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,782,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I like Indeed and use it frequently. I've also gotten a few jobs from there. A 2-day old ad is not an issue for me. If I feel qualified, I apply. But I don't use it as the only source for job searching. I also check Monster, Careerbuilder and Craigslist daily and actually find at least one unique job on each site.

OP, its seems you have a million and one excuses for why so many job search tactics don't work and so very few that do. Weren't you a career or job counselor of some sort? Its just funny that so many things you pan and frown upon actually do work for some people.

I mean, what is working for you?
I never said I ONLY USE indeed.com and after thinking about how every interview I have gotten never had anything to do with indeed.com, I just came to the conclusion that the site serves me no purpose at all.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Who hires the first, OP? Seriously, the best will get hired, and all ads run many days to accumulate sufficient responses, so as to obtain tons of qualified candidates.

BTW, indeed is an aggregator, and all aggregators will not post new jobs in real time, as they simply update their queries from other sites, at various times of each day.
Well that explains why the one job the site sent me today was no longer posted?? See what i mean?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:19 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,429,325 times
So what site does work for you?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:21 PM

Hardly see what you mean. I have yet to work for a corp that looks at the first resume less than 1 week after initially posting an ad. We will not waste our time looking at 25 responses a day for 2 weeks; get them all together, than we start our end of the process.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Hardly see what you mean. I have yet to work for a corp that looks at the first resume less than 1 week after initially posting an ad. We will not waste our time looking at 25 responses a day for 2 weeks; get them all together, than we start our end of the process.
Come on Bob, 48 hours?-lol If I saw a job on craiglist today that I had interest in would I say...."I think I will wait until wednesday at 3:30pm" to apply?-lol

Old 03-26-2012, 02:30 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,429,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Come on Bob, 48 hours?-lol If I saw a job on craiglist today that I had interest in would I say...."I think I will wait until wednesday at 3:30pm" to apply?-lol
Your response bears no relationship to what was said but still defies all logic whichever way you meant it.

Anyway, there's really little point in explaining it to you. Even before you started this thread you'd become miffed with the website and had removed it from your browser so it's all a moot point. Maybe when you have something positive to share would be a good time to do so.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:31 PM

Like I said, most corps start reading about 1-2 weeks later. They don't even sort them by date received. When they were received via mailed resumes, answering on day 1 mattered. Not now. They are simply accumulated in a database, and volla, employers peruse them when they wish.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:43 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,942,033 times
Quote:
I don't depend soley on it because it's been deleted from my browser and I have no more use for it. And if there is a job I feel I'm a good fit for and it's posted today I want to apply today not on wednesday. That's how I am.
That's good that you want to be prompt in applying for positions but bare in mind that companies often wait at least a week or more to allow sufficient applications/resumes to come through before sorting through them. I once applied for a position that has been advertised over a month and I barely got the application in prior to the closing date. I currently work in this position.
Quote:
I never said I ONLY USE indeed.com and after thinking about how every interview I have gotten never had anything to do with indeed.com, I just came to the conclusion that the site serves me no purpose at all.
Just because you personally have never gotten a job offer through an ad on Indeed does not mean that you never will. As I've stated previously, a friend of mine once worked for a company whose ad she found on Indeed. As long it isn't the sole site you use, I would not disregard the site altogether. Besides, I have found more quality listings through Indeed versus Monster and Career Builder in my experience.
Quote:
Well that explains why the one job the site sent me today was no longer posted?? See what i mean?
That's just ONE job ... Maybe the company retracted the listing or who knows, it may have been an outdated listing. I also use sites like Indeed to gather leads ... Even if the job you saw on Indeed is no longer there does not mean that the company may not have OTHER positions that you can apply to. How would you have heard about the company if you haven't found it on Indeed?
Quote:
This sounds like standard practices in most businesses.
Quote:
Of course you don't wait. As soon as you hear about the position, you should apply. So if you found out about a great position that fits you to a tee, would you just say "forget it" if the listing is only a mere 3 days old? That would be foolish!
Quote:
Like I said, most corps start reading about 1-2 weeks later. They don't even sort them by date received. When they were received via mailed resumes, answering on day 1 mattered. Not now. They are simply accumulated in a database, and volla, employers peruse them when they wish.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.