Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 12:47 PM

104 posts, read 297,899 times

Advertisements

We are trying to do some work in our house, being long-distance. We moved a year ago, and soon will be putting our house on a market, but first want to do some simple renovations - paint a little and install new laminate in dining room and kitchen (about 400-500 sq ft total).
We had 3 contractors look at the place, one of them took 2 weeks to get back to me and say he was busy with other projects. Another two never called us back.
I don't get it - it's a standard family home in a safe neighborhood, No one wants a job?!
Flooring job would take my husband 3 days or so (he is a software engineer). We even thought about him going for a weekend and doing it, but it would cost almost as much for a plain ticket as we would have to pay for a flooring job, and he doesn't want to paint. Plus he would have to take a day or two off, and then it's really not worth it.
Is there anything we are doing wrong?

Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
No you are not doing anything wrong. That is typical for construction types.

In some cases they only want big jobs. In other cases they go out and have a big "booze up", then don't feel like calling anyone the next few days.

Keep calling. Ask around and see if anyone you know can recommend someone. Ask at construction supply businesses, lumber companies, flooring businesses, paint stores, etc.

A good place to ask is large apartment complexes - ask manager. They always need little stuff done. Or real estate agents know of good contractors to fix things.

Or go to the local bar.

If you get desperate, try Home Depot which has contractors to do this.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:02 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,682,176 times
why don't you buy your materials from a store that installs?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
why don't you buy your materials from a store that installs?
Store that installs would be Home Depot. I don't like their quality, and their overhead. All they are doing is hiring those same contractors, and all those contractors are doing is completing the job, not really caring about feedback. They don't represent themselves, they represent Home Depot. Sure, they have some minimal quality requirements, but overall, they are not doing a good job. I speak from experience, as we have carpeting installed on our stairs by Home Depot contractor - horrible.

We got yet another contact from family, this guys is my brother's neighbor, I sure hope he is at least responsive - he will take a look at the place and, hopefully, get the job done.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
No you are not doing anything wrong. That is typical for construction types.

In some cases they only want big jobs. In other cases they go out and have a big "booze up", then don't feel like calling anyone the next few days.

Keep calling. Ask around and see if anyone you know can recommend someone. Ask at construction supply businesses, lumber companies, flooring businesses, paint stores, etc.

A good place to ask is large apartment complexes - ask manager. They always need little stuff done. Or real estate agents know of good contractors to fix things.

Or go to the local bar.

If you get desperate, try Home Depot which has contractors to do this.
Good point - I think mostly it's the size of the job that is not appealing - we are small potatoes to them. Out of three we contacted so far, two came with recommendations from friends or family. My husband called yet another one, again, by family member's recommendation. I sure hope this guy will come through!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 AM

691 posts, read 771,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAndCurious View Post
Store that installs would be Home Depot. I don't like their quality, and their overhead. All they are doing is hiring those same contractors, and all those contractors are doing is completing the job, not really caring about feedback. They don't represent themselves, they represent Home Depot. Sure, they have some minimal quality requirements, but overall, they are not doing a good job. I speak from experience, as we have carpeting installed on our stairs by Home Depot contractor - horrible.

We got yet another contact from family, this guys is my brother's neighbor, I sure hope he is at least responsive - he will take a look at the place and, hopefully, get the job done.

You mean overhead like making sure the contractor actually shows up to do the work?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 11,571 times
Quote:
We are trying to do some work in our house, being long-distance. We moved a year ago, and soon will be putting our house on a market, but first want to do some simple renovations - paint a little and install new laminate in dining room and kitchen (about 400-500 sq ft total).
We had 3 contractors look at the place, one of them took 2 weeks to get back to me and say he was busy with other projects. Another two never called us back.
I don't get it - it's a standard family home in a safe neighborhood, No one wants a job?!
Flooring job would take my husband 3 days or so (he is a software engineer). We even thought about him going for a weekend and doing it, but it would cost almost as much for a plain ticket as we would have to pay for a flooring job, and he doesn't want to paint. Plus he would have to take a day or two off, and then it's really not worth it.
First, to think that it is an easy task to do home repairs and requires no skills, I would love to see the finish product of unqualified individuals trying to floor a room would look... Us PROFESSIONALS do take our work seriously. whether or not you have been presented with the "craigslist's finest" hack jobs or lost the ideal that there is 'IN FACT' skill required to complete home repair projects and that those skills cost money... I'm sure you could find ur real problem... thank you

Old 05-22-2014, 12:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Good point - I think mostly it's the size of the job that is not appealing - we are small potatoes to them. Out of three we contacted so far, two came with recommendations from friends or family. My husband called yet another one, again, by family member's recommendation. I sure hope this guy will come through!
Here at least, new construction and major remodels are all over the place. From here at my office I can see about 10 construction cranes for high rise buildings. In good times like this contractors just can't afford to jeopardize their deadlines by taking a small job so people like you suffer. Even a painting contractor that I contacted recently for an estimate told me they are booked through September. If you can find a licensed and bonded handyman, they are more likely to be available since they typically stick to small jobs.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,828 times
Quote:
did you get the job done?

Old 08-14-2016, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,628 times
What city is the work assignment in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment