Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:58 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
I love working with wood but am willing to learn any skilled trade. ? I love working with my hands and knowing that I actually helped produce something.? (boy that statement flung my mind straight into the gutter...lol)

In all reality I looked into the painting, welding, carpentry, cabinetry, and machinist training...they all said I was too old.( I am 70 yrs old) First choice is wood, second is metal.

I went to college because I want my son to go to college. I want a job because I like being productive. I find pleasure in anything I do and am constantly learning. I am willing to relocate anywhere for a job but no matter what I do, no one is interested.
My responce is where I highlighted in your ststements,
What I suggested as an area for you to solve your situation has no age , gender, or special education requirements , only a persons willingness to suceed in our troubled times. As I have stated there is this type of work out there all over the country. There is nothing to be ashamed of doing this , in fact a women will suceed better doing it than a male, and may even get a tip doing it.
With an Investment of about $350.00 down the road should a job of your liking come along , the equipment needed to get started could be put in storage ( Garage) for later security. The need for this referbishing of the H/lamps is not short lived , as long as the Manufactures keep using the clear covers the sun will cloud them in 2 - 3 yrs. Additionally the ones you do now will need the same process in 6-8 months( repeat business). I know I don't plan on quiting doing it for quite a while ( Easy money !) .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:05 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
My responce is where I highlighted in your ststements,
What I suggested as an area for you to solve your situation has no age , gender, or special education requirements , only a persons willingness to suceed in our troubled times. As I have stated there is this type of work out there all over the country. There is nothing to be ashamed of doing this , in fact a women will suceed better doing it than a male, and may even get a tip doing it.
With an Investment of about $350.00 down the road should a job of your liking come along , the equipment needed to get started could be put in storage ( Garage) for later security. The need for this referbishing of the H/lamps is not short lived , as long as the Manufactures keep using the clear covers the sun will cloud them in 2 - 3 yrs. Additionally the ones you do now will need the same process in 6-8 months( repeat business). I know I don't plan on quiting doing it for quite a while ( Easy money !) .
How do you do it? Do you just drive up to truck stops and bug random truckers to get their headlights polished?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
How do you do it? Do you just drive up to truck stops and bug random truckers to get their headlights polished?
YES its that easy ! Well you need to prep a little , First as I have stated in other work posting areas. You need to go to a auto salvage yard and find a head light that is clouded ( Cheep) and practice on one half only ( your sample of your process) your advertisement, then you need a buffer ( Like they use in the body shops) , avaliable at many pawn shops for about $35.00, then you need some automotive sand paper, 320 and 400 grit or 500 grit, an rubber sanding block, some automotive buffing compound ( the brown kind) , you sand all the yellow cloud that has formed on the lights first with the 320 then finish with the 400 grit or 500 grit paper , when the finish it ready it will be smooth and all white ( no yellow showing, then using the buffer and compound you carefully polish the lense until it is clear and like new. You then wipe it down and apply a good auto wax. and the job it complete. this should take only about 30 min. for both. the only other thing you will need is a small 2000 wt generator, again at most Pawn shops for about $150.00 or most truckers have a inverter on their trucks to run the microwave's and TV's. When doing cars you can go to the customers home and use their power. Look in the Truck Stops, local mall's and Shopping centers for business. A business card made on your computer will make you look like a serious business person. Dm me If you need more info I will give you a number so we can talk more.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:53 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
YES its that easy ! Well you need to prep a little , First as I have stated in other work posting areas. You need to go to a auto salvage yard and find a head light that is clouded ( Cheep) and practice on one half only ( your sample of your process) your advertisement, then you need a buffer ( Like they use in the body shops) , avaliable at many pawn shops for about $35.00, then you need some automotive sand paper, 320 and 400 grit or 500 grit, an rubber sanding block, some automotive buffing compound ( the brown kind) , you sand all the yellow cloud that has formed on the lights first with the 320 then finish with the 400 grit or 500 grit paper , when the finish it ready it will be smooth and all white ( no yellow showing, then using the buffer and compound you carefully polish the lense until it is clear and like new. You then wipe it down and apply a good auto wax. and the job it complete. this should take only about 30 min. for both. the only other thing you will need is a small 2000 wt generator, again at most Pawn shops for about $150.00 or most truckers have a inverter on their trucks to run the microwave's and TV's. When doing cars you can go to the customers home and use their power. Look in the Truck Stops, local mall's and Shopping centers for business. A business card made on your computer will make you look like a serious business person. Dm me If you need more info I will give you a number so we can talk more.
Ugh, and you probably earn a pretty penny too! Took me years of learning and over 5K invested in tools just to do my job... Shoulda thought of this before!

Old 03-30-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Just thought I would add one other piece of advice to those that plan to try this and that is , You don't "BUG random truckers" You act and dress as a professional maner, you have a business card that explains you are in the referbishing business, Example.... JOHN DOE ( headlight refinishing ) ,with your number because when you do a Truckers lights, the truckers will spread the word about you ,if you do a good job! and be looking for you when they come back to the Truck Stop again. ( REPEAT BUSINESS). This process will need to be repeated in 8 - 10 months. Just some friendly advice as to how its done . good luck. Got to go just got 2 more trucks to do be for I quit for the day.

Last edited by Fighter 1; 03-30-2012 at 06:41 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Well Just thought I would check back in to see how many people gave a thought to doing this rather then complain they can't find a Job. Additionally I would like to explain a little more as to how to get started . I did get one responce who did not know what to say to the people he approched . This is how I do it . Hi my name is ( John Doe ), I have a process that will restore your clouded headlights and make them like NEW! and I only charge $25.00, would you like me to do it on your truck/vehicle, it only will take about 30 minutes?. Would you like to see a sample of before and after the process is done ? then you show the sample of your work/processon the light you got at the salvage yard or local body shop. Now how can it be any easier? Several people have asked , why doing i sell this process and make money on it ? Well let me tell you , money can't but the feeling you get from a simple "THANK YOU" from some one that just been pulled out of the mud after not working for 1 or 2 yrs with not help in sight and being able to keep their heads above water and in many cases making more then their prior work. That feeling is worth a million dollars, besides at 70 yrs . I have what i need just playing around with this , I get to meet some great people as I travel , I have fun, I don't have to go to the gym to get excersize( save money there) and most importantly , All those people that say there is nothing free in this world ! I can prove them wrong too ( ha ha ) This process is TOTALLY FREE , so go out there and start making money YOURSELF.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:21 PM

7 posts, read 9,084 times
Quote:
Well Just thought I would check back in to see how many people gave a thought to doing this rather then complain they can't find a Job. Additionally I would like to explain a little more as to how to get started . I did get one responce who did not know what to say to the people he approched . This is how I do it . Hi my name is ( John Doe ), I have a process that will restore your clouded headlights and make them like NEW! and I only charge $25.00, would you like me to do it on your truck/vehicle, it only will take about 30 minutes?. Would you like to see a sample of before and after the process is done ? then you show the sample of your work/processon the light you got at the salvage yard or local body shop. Now how can it be any easier? Several people have asked , why doing i sell this process and make money on it ? Well let me tell you , money can't but the feeling you get from a simple "THANK YOU" from some one that just been pulled out of the mud after not working for 1 or 2 yrs with not help in sight and being able to keep their heads above water and in many cases making more then their prior work. That feeling is worth a million dollars, besides at 70 yrs . I have what i need just playing around with this , I get to meet some great people as I travel , I have fun, I don't have to go to the gym to get excersize( save money there) and most importantly , All those people that say there is nothing free in this world ! I can prove them wrong too ( ha ha ) This process is TOTALLY FREE , so go out there and start making money YOURSELF.
Do you just walk around approaching people that are hanging around their trucks at truckstops?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment