Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have just the opposite, I can think of at least 10 mom's in my neighborhood who would love a job with hours like this!

I'll second this. I want "Mom's hours" but can't find any so I settle for full-time hours. 20 hours is not enough but 30 hours is. I can make up the difference in side jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 08:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
If you were a couple thousand miles closer, I may apply ...

When I was looking, I applied for jobs doing exactly what I had been doing for years(purchasing/data entry, etc.) and was told I wasn't "qualified" because I didn't have the correct degree, mine is technical not administrative.

I don't doubt the "only part time until" part, I have been told by many persons interviewing that when they ask applicants when they can start they say "oh next week sometime, I have things to do" or the like REALLY

When asked, I say "tomorrow".
We weren't requiring any degree, just a diploma or GED! The woman that was hired told the person who interviewed her that she could start "right now," but if we wanted her to begin immediately, she would like to run to the 7-11 and get a soda first. (She's adorable without even trying!)

Old 03-29-2012, 08:04 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I would bet it's the hours. They don't fit in to the typical mold. Allow me to elaborate.

If i'm looking for Full Time work, I'm going to pass, as it's 6 hours a day. It pays by the hour and most people need more than a 30 hour work week to get by. So those looking for 40 hours a week are more than likely going to pass on this position. So you're basically left with the Part Time worker. Part Time workers are usually 1 of 2 people. Students who go to college during the day, and Full Time employees looking for some extra income they can acquire by working nights and weekends. A 9-3 schedule eliminates both of these leaving your pool of applicants very very thin. I'm guessing those completely out of work are thinking "If I get that job, I'm just going to have to keep looking for Full Time work. But with the hours of 9-3, I'm not left with enough time to setup interviews".

That's my theory anyway.
These hours would fit perfectly into an elem school schedule. I know I'd jump on a job with those hours if it were close enough to home. It would keep me from having to pay for before and after school care.

Quote:
I have just the opposite, I can think of at least 10 mom's in my neighborhood who would love a job with hours like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
I'll second this. I want "Mom's hours" but can't find any so I settle for full-time hours. 20 hours is not enough but 30 hours is. I can make up the difference in side jobs.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Quote:
We weren't requiring any degree, just a diploma or GED! The woman that was hired told the person who interviewed her that she could start "right now," but if we wanted her to begin immediately, she would like to run to the 7-11 and get a soda first. (She's adorable without even trying!)

Years ago in a final interview with the VP of the company he asked when I can start and was surprised when I said tomorrow, he too told me about those that seem to have more important things to do than work ... He said it seemed the longer they were not working the "busier" they were.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:20 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
We've had several positions over the past few years with that wide (or wider!) of a range. We recently hired an accounting clerk and had a $15K range, depending on knowledge and potential willingness and ability to cross-train into other departments.
Who cares about the pay ranges for your position/opening when your company is not comparable to the OPs company. OP's position has 15 people in the office. That is way different than your company that has many departments.

The pay range for this position at OP's COMPANY is probably very narrow regardless what they do at your company.

OP - What is the pay range and why isn't it posted in the ad?

Last edited by sware2cod; 03-29-2012 at 09:29 AM..

Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Who cares about the pay ranges for your position/opening when your company is not comparable to the OPs company. OP's position has 15 people in the company. That is way different than your company that has many departments.

The pay range for this position at OP's COMPANY is probably very narrow regardless what they do at your company
Not necessarily. I think the smaller a company is, the more likely they are to have a fairly wide range for a lot of jobs. If a "jack-of-all-trades applies that they can use in several departments, a small company will see a lot of value in that person and often find the cash to offer them a much higher salary than they originally were planning on offering.

I'ts far less expensive for a small company to hire one employee than two p/t employees, especially if there are benefits involved. Just saving on worker comp premium can make up the difference in pay in some cases.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:36 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
The job sounds extremely entry level. I'd be interested in learning about the 10 applicants and what disqualified them.

A bright HS grad may not apply because when they read "financial services" company, they probably think a college degree is a prerequisite. Is it?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
I'd also be curious about what would happen if someone with an advanced degree applied.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I'd also be curious about what would happen if someone with an advanced degree applied.
I think it's going to entirely depend.

If the person had been working in their field until a year ago when they were laid off, I'd be worried that they were looking for "a job" and would leave as soon as they found something in their field. But if the person had voluntarily left the workforce a number of years ago to raise a family and were now looking for something that would be a good fit with their kids schedules, it wouldn't phase me.

It would be all in the presentation in the cover letter.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:33 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
Guess I better start saying I voluntarily left the workforce a few years ago. I have had periods of time where I needed to be home [elder care responsibilities, working to refurbish a property we own that recently sold, etc.] and have incorporated those into my "story."

Leaving the degree off basically creates an even larger gap than I already have, so that isn't an option.

I'm outnumbered by people who have at most a 2 year degree and I think I'm losing out to them most of the time. It' s just less of a headache for employers to just hire someone whose education is a fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment