Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:57 PM

266 posts, read 1,107,490 times

Advertisements

I work in Phoenix for a financial planning company. My boss is looking to hire someone for an assistant position and we can't find anyone. It is extremely ironic, I think. I love going on this forum and post after post I see good people who can't find a job. We are on the other side of things and can't find anyone to apply. We have received about 10 applicants over three weeks. I don't get it. I thought there were tons of available workers. Can someone tell me what is wrong with this job description? Why aren't people applying???
Seeking a detail oriented administrative assistant with a positive attitude. Job duties:

-Scanning documents
-Preparing applications to mail to clients
-Answering phone
-Scheduling appointments
-Logging checks on a spreadsheet
-Downloading statements from websites

This is a small financial planning company with approx 15 people in the office. The environment is fun and casual. Hours: 9am-3pm M-F (negotiable)
Financial industry experience a plus but not necessary. To apply, please send your resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,102,689 times
I'd work for you if you were in Denver!

Old 03-28-2012, 04:10 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,063,218 times
Where is it posted?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:15 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,646,686 times
What would the commute be from Peoria? I have a friend who owns a house there and would love to find a job and move to her house......she's in Texas right now.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:24 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,935,379 times
I've heard the same thing from a number of friends who are looking to hire people. They run ads and either get no response or only get responses from people so far off from being qualified that it would take a year to get them up to speed.

One of my friends is looking for a front desk person for her medical practice, she only got a handful of responses and most of them wanted p/t hours at f/t pay and benefits. One told her she "doesn't do filing" and she can't work Wednesdays or Fridays.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Where is it posted?
It's on careerbuilder.com

(But feel free to email me if you want to apply or know someone who does!)

Last edited by sunny AZ; 03-28-2012 at 05:43 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
What would the commute be from Peoria? I have a friend who owns a house there and would love to find a job and move to her house......she's in Texas right now.
Peoria is a large area so without knowing crossroads I am estimating a 30-40 minute drive. Phoenix is like that though, because it's so spread out. That's about average for most jobs in this town. It's right off the 51 freeway at Northern so it's pretty central to lots of areas. I wonder if people are not applying because of the commute but that doesn't quite make sense given that we're right off a main freeway.

Last edited by sunny AZ; 03-28-2012 at 04:42 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 04:44 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,501,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny AZ View Post
I work in Phoenix for a financial planning company. My boss is looking to hire someone for an assistant position and we can't find anyone. It is extremely ironic, I think. I love going on this forum and post after post I see good people who can't find a job. We are on the other side of things and can't find anyone to apply. We have received about 10 applicants over three weeks. I don't get it. I thought there were tons of available workers. Can someone tell me what is wrong with this job description? Why aren't people applying???
Seeking a detail oriented administrative assistant with a positive attitude. Job duties:

-Scanning documents
-Preparing applications to mail to clients
-Answering phone
-Scheduling appointments
-Logging checks on a spreadsheet
-Downloading statements from websites

This is a small financial planning company with approx 15 people in the office. The environment is fun and casual. Hours: 9am-3pm M-F (negotiable)
Financial industry experience a plus but not necessary. To apply, please send your resume.
What doesn't get talked about much are all the people who don't interview well and don't know how to apply to a job.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:13 PM

428 posts, read 899,544 times
I would in a heart beat if u were in Southwest Lower Michigan =) .... Although it does sound similar to what I have a interview for tomorrow...

Old 03-28-2012, 05:49 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,604,962 times
So what was wrong with the 10 applicants who did apply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment