Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 05:55 AM

245 posts, read 519,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Maybe Jordy's high school teachers or counselor know of part-time jobs. Back in the day I did office work in my high school after class. In college, I was in a work-study program. Believe me, the money (and experience) helped.

Tried it. Doesn't work. Guidance counselor said they can only help with summer jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 05:57 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyloves View Post
Thought about baby sitting. Do I need to learn CPR for that? I feel as though I should.
You don't have to, but it'd be a good skill to learn - you can use that to set yourself apart from other babysitters that might be competing in your neighborhood. I just think it's better to focus your energies on working for yourself rather than applying and getting rejected over and over again - I don't care how strong you are, constant rejection is like acid to the soul - NOT good for your mental health.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Thought about baby sitting. Do I need to learn CPR for that? I feel as though I should.
Not for casual sitting but yes to become state licensed. of course it's always a good thing to know. One nice thing about babysitting is that it gives you people to use as references on applications who can vouch for your work ethic--you arrived on time, didn't mind staying late now and then, would make yourself available at the last minute if you were needed, cleaned up any messes the kids made, the kids loved you, etc.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 AM

245 posts, read 519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
OP I recommend Retail or Telemarketing over Fast food. Atleast with Retail and Telemarketing you will be developing marketing and communication skills on top of making money

At Mickey D's you won't develop any kind of skill.
Doesn't everybody hate telemarketers? At least I'll learn what to do when being cussed out by a customer.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,895,233 times
Quote:

I just recently gotta cake from the Cheesecake Factory.
I shop at the BBS every now and then...

Yeah, I think that's a bit too far for me, though. It would take me 4 hours to get their by bus. I would have to take a train and everything. Aye...

Thanks for your help though. Most of the retail places I want to work at only hire 18+.... and experience is wanted. I'm just looking for a starting out job.
I can almost guess where you live! I don't suggest K-Mart. See if there are ice cream places - there should be a Dairy Queen around you. There is a big hospital in your area. Do any of your friends' parents work there? Think there might be a part time job filing and such? Tough around where you live...not a whole lot of retail to explore. It's almost summer...miniature golf places, antique stores, etc. may need some help. Try Goodwill Industries, consignment stores, Salvation Army....

Old 04-01-2012, 06:03 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Someday maybe you'll read this and understand why no one will hire you. On top of everything I've said already, you sound like a spoiled, entitled, brat.
Attacking teenagers now Anne? Pathetic.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:05 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
BE a winner and find something better than working for some place that serves bad food to dumb people...the food is horrible...assembly line feeding is for cows and pigs...YOU can do better than become part of this system..You have to have ethics...and McDonalds just pretends too...like all big business..find an honest job that actually generates wealth and health.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Attacking teenagers now Anne? Pathetic.
Not an attack, the truth.

You'll notice that today she's gotten off the drama llama and is having a rational discussion, and I'm giving her positive feedback about it...

Old 04-01-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not an attack, the truth.

You'll notice that today she's gotten off the drama llama and is having a rational discussion, and I'm giving her positive feedback about it...
Why be so harsh in the first place though? I've seen you give out some good advice on here, but you also have quite a nasty streak. I wish you would stick to just doing the former. You've actually posted a lot of stuff I've even agreed with.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:13 AM

Starbucks might be a better alternative OP. From what I understand, they treat their employees better. I think just about any retailer would be preferable to McDonald's IMO. Don't feel bad about it. Their burgers are the worst anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment