Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:05 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times

Advertisements

I've gotten the paper on and off over the past 10-15 years, and I think it's almost always been an adult delivering it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 09:09 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,111 times
Don't see it much now in the UK. Most papers are delivered to your door by a van/car now (if an evening paper) and i haven't seen a morning paper delivered by a paper-boy for ages.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:15 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgandjsmom View Post
All the papers in our neighborhood are delivered by old creepy vans and a hispanic woman who constantly runs over the flowers at the corner of the driveway. . . .

This sounds like my neighborhood! Only its couple, who glare at you, throw your paper close to your home and drive slowly down the street in an old van with no muffler.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:54 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
This sounds like my neighborhood! Only its couple, who glare at you, throw your paper close to your home and drive slowly down the street in an old van with no muffler.
What should they do, fly down the street and toss the paper a mile away from your home? A lot of couples do routes because team work makes getting it done quicker since they have to sometimes put together/bag the papers. Most of these people are poor, and the paper route itself destroys cars. Maybe they're glaring at you because you glare at them when they drive by.

Anyway, a teenager or young boy can't do paper routes anymore. Adults only.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:23 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,780 times
My paper is delivered in the wee hours of the morning (like 4 or 5 AM). I assume it's an adult in a car.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:41 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Just wondering, as that was technically my "first job".

Perhaps it's not as common now because fewer people read newspapers in the modern period?

If you had a kid, would you say advise that it's a good way to earn a little cash for them?
All the routes around me require drivers licenses and reliable transportation, so Id say no.

However, Im old enough to remember a time about 20 years ago that in this same area, kids would deliver the paper on their bikes.

Then again, thats when there were two additions of the paper each day.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:45 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgandjsmom View Post
All the papers in our neighborhood are delivered by old creepy vans and a hispanic woman who constantly runs over the flowers at the corner of the driveway.

My kids (11, 8 ) run their own buisness and have for a couple years. Leaf raking in the fall, snow shoveling in the winter, mulching in the spring, and lawn watering etc in the summer. Not big jobs, but ones that lots of people don't find time for. The older child is the foreman and does the brunt of the work, and the younger is the runner who carries the tools and holds the bags. They split it 70/30.

They make about 30-40 a month, and about 2 (yard watering) to 12 (snow shoveling) a home.
I know this post is 6 years old but this is how I wanna raise my kids. Encourage responsibility and hard work and some self reliance. Kudos to your kids, they must be 17 and 14 now.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:31 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Just wondering, as that was technically my "first job".

Perhaps it's not as common now because fewer people read newspapers in the modern period?

If you had a kid, would you say advise that it's a good way to earn a little cash for them?
Sadly not as much. I know I used to work for the one in our area as a kid, but now they only hire people with drivers licenses that are 18 or older. I can't speak for other areas, but fear it's the same as here.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:29 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,038 times
Haven't seen a kid route carrier in years and I fully support that. I had a route from ages 11-14 (in the 70's) and would never support or encourage kids to put into that position again.

It was a typical big city daily delivered 7 days a week, that offered zero flexibility, I had a rural route that was tricky in delivery and I doubt there were many routes that offered easy fill in's for any time off purpose.

I also had to "collect", go to each household every month to collect fees, that was a freaking nightmare. Amazing how many adults were ready to bully and intimidate an 11-12 year old kid.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,255,892 times
Around here it’s older people doing it to earn some extra money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment