U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:24 PM

100 posts, read 99,356 times
Default Do places usually call you if you didn't get the job?

A place called a few days after my interview to tell me they filled all the positions. Um okayyy...why are you calling me? I would have been fine with a email or no response at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 12:28 PM

773 posts, read 517,495 times
Well, this is really uncommon from my limited experience.

This employer sounds like it's still a little Old School. When I first started working, it was customary to phone the applicants who interviewed but didn't get the job and let them know — or send them a letter. In fact, it was customary to thank everyone who applied for the job, via a mass mailing, regardless if they were interviewed. Only "shady" places of business didn't do these things.

I'd say that most employers would not do that these days. I think that what this employer did was extremely polite.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:35 PM

428 posts, read 334,400 times
Some do, Some dont... I think it depends how many people they interviewed... One thing I dont get it is why send a thanks but no thanks snail mail letter a few weeks after the fact. Seems like a waste of time or maybe there just wanting to give the post office something....

Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,253,552 times
I was interviewed at a small company earlier this year and the guy called to let me know they'd decided to go with someone else. I think this is about the only place that has ever done that.

I can see why most places would prefer a letter or e-mail, though, it seems like he felt pretty uncomfortable breaking the news over the phone.

I'm happy as long as they do let me know. If they take the time to have someone come in for an interview, they should have the courtesy to let them know their decision.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 PM

5,517 posts, read 5,075,847 times
Ive gotten a few cards, and one or two emails, but for the most part, you wont get anything.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:53 PM

7,213 posts, read 7,453,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltaway View Post
A place called a few days after my interview to tell me they filled all the positions. Um okayyy...why are you calling me? I would have been fine with a email or no response at all.
Why would you be fine with no response at all? You took the time and energy, and I'm going to assume made a decent appearance for the interview.

Be thankful they let you know. There are tons of posts on here by people who do 2 and 3 interviews for the same position and then hear nothing.

At least you know where you stand on this one and can keep looking.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:58 PM

4,779 posts, read 5,169,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltaway View Post
Most people are likely to complain about the opposite. Because if you don't hear back, how do you know what the outcome was? Some companies for many reasons may really drag their feet on hiring someone.

Most people I think would want a call or email back. I would.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:36 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,253,552 times
My worst was when I followed up and they said they were still in the interview process, which was taking longer than expected. Never heard from them again, but saw on their website later that they had new staff that had started there around the same time that I followed up with them. Don't know why they could not at least send an e-mail like others have done. Oh well, I don't know if they would have been a good employer anyway if they can't even be honest with job candidates I imagine the employees are treated just as poorly.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 AM

224 posts, read 216,223 times
I hate waiting and watching a website or the job posting to see if it goes away while I am still waiting for an update. That is the worst.

I would think a quick, 'Sorry we couldn't use you' call would be preferrable.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,484,575 times
While I don't care if I get a rejection letter or not, it is still nice for them to do.

I have gotten a few form letters saying "Thank for applying anyway", but that is rare.

Only one time have I ever received a personal rejection response. I had applied for a job which was similar to what I had done before, but was a little more detailed and I didn't quite have the experience he was looking for, but he did seem interested in me.

He wrote me an e-mail saying he had hired someone else. He said in the e-mail he had talked to my former boss and that person had said a bunch of nice things about me. I think if someone with a great fit hadn't applied, he might have given me a shot, but that's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment