U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-06-2012, 05:13 PM

19,227 posts, read 20,259,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If it's not an advice board what is the purpose of this board? Now the TV and Sports board are not advice boards but boards like this I believe were created to offer advice.
I think you may be a little confused about what a forum is. An "advice board" is something along the lines of sites such as "LoveShack" where participants are encouraged to talk about their relationship problems and solicit remedial advice from others. Maybe if you need some guidance on the difference between this forum and an "advice board" you could ask one of the moderators to better explain it. I believe the purpose of this forum, is to address and discuss a myriad of issues concerning work and employment in general but I'm sure somebody else (or a moderator) can come up with a better description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-06-2012, 05:36 PM
FBJ

31,410 posts, read 19,124,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I think you may be a little confused about what a forum is. An "advice board" is something along the lines of sites such as "LoveShack" where participants are encouraged to talk about their relationship problems and solicit remedial advice from others. Maybe if you need some guidance on the difference between this forum and an "advice board" you could ask one of the moderators to better explain it. I believe the purpose of this forum, is to address and discuss a myriad of issues concerning work and employment in general but I'm sure somebody else (or a moderator) can come up with a better description.
Whatever the board is I do know that making fun of someone's unemployed status is a violation which seems to me the norm on this board.

I will not hesitate to press the report button if I feel my unemployed status is being thrown in my face

Unread 04-06-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Whatever the board is I do know that making fun of someone's unemployed status is a violation which seems to me the norm on this board.

I will not hesitate to press the report button if I feel my unemployed status is being thrown in my face
Well that's your particular issue and I'm really not interested as all that reporting threatening nonsense seems pretty daft to me. I was simply trying to answer a question you appeared to have so hope that helped.

Unread 04-06-2012, 05:58 PM
FBJ

31,410 posts, read 19,124,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Well that's your particular issue and I'm really not interested as all that reporting threatening nonsense seems pretty daft to me. I was simply trying to answer a question you appeared to have so hope that helped.
It's a warning for the future so please take seriously, good night.

Unread 04-06-2012, 08:42 PM

14,227 posts, read 5,297,981 times
Hyper sensitivity at its finest!

Unread 04-06-2012, 11:07 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,086,276 times
Not a good trait to have as a job seeker, I can say that from experience.

Unread 04-07-2012, 06:50 AM

257 posts, read 168,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Thanks for the advice, but I actually am a licensed CPA with a year's experience with one of the Big 4. Got let go in 2009, have yet to find a new job. Hoping this gig will at least let me get some relevant experience so I can try to re-start my career. Pretty obvious at this point that public accounting is probably not in the cards since 1 year of experience is not much better than none, and almost all firms would rather recruit someone out of college [even the smaller ones.]

The firms cut a ton of people loose in 2009-2010, we are like a "lost generation" of accountants. Just wanted to respond that you can actually earn your CPA and still not get anywhere, depending on timing and what's going on in your particular market. Timing is everything as far as finding a job in accounting, and the window of opportunity closes pretty quickly.
I'm sorry that happened to you. All I can say is obviously you're a pretty smart and talented person. You will get back on your feet someday. "The Brick walls are there for a reason. They're not there to keep us out, they're there to give us an opportunity to prove how badly we want something".

Quite frankly, I think it's pretty rediculous for them to do layoffs on first year staff and then be back on campus selling the same song and dance in recruiting season for a new fresh crop. There's always a talk about having integrity in following up on your offers and how people come first blah blah blah. At the very least, they could have slowed their future hiring, continued to overwork people to death to get higher turn over, and let it work out naturally.

Letting someone go in their first year is incredibly damaging to their career, and it basically took away your chance to participate in on campus recruiting, where you could have had offers somewhere else. Some professional service firm.

Unread 04-07-2012, 06:52 AM

257 posts, read 168,438 times
I almost wonder if TVandSportsguy is like a "reverse" troll. In almost every thread of him or her I see, there's always threats about reporting people and over sensativity.

Sometimes people have different opinions than you. They may even be extreme opinions. Honestly though, the Internet can even help because people can be overly critical or say thigns more bluntly to you. I think you need to get thicker skin. There's pretty much nothing someone could say to be on the Internet that would get under my skin.

Unread 04-07-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
There's pretty much nothing someone could say to be on the Internet that would get under my skin.
But then you're probably a rational and mature adult.

Unread 04-07-2012, 12:23 PM

2,901 posts, read 2,836,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Even with a CPA, that still may happen, if my experience has been any indication. I'm about to interview for a low level bookkeeper job and hope I get it!
Good luck. We do what we have to do until something better comes along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment