Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:54 PM

224 posts, read 545,906 times

Advertisements

My husbands employer of the last years, last month changed hands and we got our first paycheck from them last week ( and we'll only get 2 more since we are MOVING ) and we noticed it was more than 300 less than what we had carefully negotiated.

They denied any problem at first and said they couldn't give us a check stub we would have to wait until it came in the mail.

We got it and they put down 0 deductions!!

We filled out the paperwork ( and they later confirmed) that we had filled it out for 8 deductions.

They now say there is nothing they can do, the money is gone and won't reimburse us. What recourse do we have to get them to pay it back to us?
Is there a way or a law or something to compel them?

Thanks! And oh my gosh we are so glad to be getting away from this place in 19 days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgandjsmom View Post
My husbands employer of the last years, last month changed hands and we got our first paycheck from them last week ( and we'll only get 2 more since we are MOVING ) and we noticed it was more than 300 less than what we had carefully negotiated.

They denied any problem at first and said they couldn't give us a check stub we would have to wait until it came in the mail.

We filled out the paperwork ( and they later confirmed) that we had filled it out for 8 deductions.

They now say there is nothing they can do, the money is gone and won't reimburse us. What recourse do we have to get them to pay it back to us?

Thanks! And oh my gosh we are so glad to be getting away from this place in 19 days!
The amount that your employer withholds is pretty much irrelevant. What matters is what you pay/get back when you file your income tax return.

It is his mistake, but if he does not want to correct it, there is nothing you can do. Sorry.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
You will get it back when you file your taxes. Not sure there is anything else you can do.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 PM

224 posts, read 545,906 times
Well snot. I get so aggravated when stuff like that happens. Especially when you are on a TIGHT budget. *sigh

Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 PM

878 posts, read 1,652,939 times
Stuck till tax time.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:02 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,010 times
Unless you do indeed have EIGHT dependents you could be committing attempted tax fraud.

The money isn't "lost" you will get it all back when you file, but you knew that already is why you listed EIGHT deductions.

They can't pay you back, they send the money to the Feds based on whatever paperwork they have on file.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:16 AM

878 posts, read 1,652,939 times
Ahhh now I remember the OP. There was another thread about her husband's job but everything was "we" and "us" too.

Anyway... is 8 deductions the magic number for a tax free paycheck?

Old 04-05-2012, 04:16 AM

166 posts, read 789,980 times
The amount of deductions taken from your pay check is an internal payroll thing. It can be changed. You won't get the money back already taken out and there is very little effort on your employers part to change the numbers. I can tell you that from my past experience. I spoke to our payroll person on a problem I had and she made the changes in front of me on the computer in minutes. If they don't want to change them is another story.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:34 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Unless you do indeed have EIGHT dependents you could be committing attempted tax fraud.

The money isn't "lost" you will get it all back when you file, but you knew that already is why you listed EIGHT deductions.

They can't pay you back, they send the money to the Feds based on whatever paperwork they have on file.
Not fraud. You can have them hold out however much or little you want. It doesn't matter until April 15th.

In this case, OP, I don't think there is much you can do.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:41 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgandjsmom View Post

If you want to do some math calculate how your tax should be and adjust your withholding to be less the next couple of weeks until you are even. Or just wait till return time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment