Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 AM

831 posts, read 2,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckyfan25 View Post
Thanks for your input. I am a salaried employee so my hours aren't really relevant ( I did work more than required for my position). I guess I need to be more aggressive in following up with HR now. In terms of holding back two weeks pay until the end of my employment...can they do that? Can I insist that I be paid now for that? I don't think they should be able use my money until I leave the organization.
Yes. That's a common practice, so when you leave, you'll get a check after your last day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 03:17 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckyfan25 View Post
Thanks for your input. I am a salaried employee so my hours aren't really relevant ( I did work more than required for my position). I guess I need to be more aggressive in following up with HR now. In terms of holding back two weeks pay until the end of my employment...can they do that? Can I insist that I be paid now for that? I don't think they should be able use my money until I leave the organization.
They probably are not holding back that first pay but the one before the current pay period whenever that may be.

At a previous job we were paid for the current week but deductions were in arrears, so if you took a day off this week NEXT week's check was short(or showed use of a personal day), so it really worked out the same except when you started you didn't have to wait a month to get your first check(we were paid every two weeks).

You will receive your final check (probably by mail) the pay period after you left of your final week's pay.

This really is not as complicated as some want to make it.

Isn't some form of Business Math required for graduation any more? PLEASE, do not see this as a knock on any one poster.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
This is the main reason why someone should not stop unemployment until they get their first paycheck.

You need something to keep you afloat until the NEW MONEY rolls in

Old 04-06-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
This is the main reason why someone should not stop unemployment until they get their first paycheck.

You need something to keep you afloat until the NEW MONEY rolls in
Your UI check is a week behind too so you will get your first paycheck the week after you get your last UI check, there will be no gap.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:05 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Your UI check is a week behind too so you will get your first paycheck the week after you get your last UI check, there will be no gap.
It depends on when your start date is for the job. If I start a new job on Monday, April 9th, that may mess me up because I will not get another pay until maybe the end of the month
since I wouldn't be able to file for another check next sunday.

But if I start a new job on Monday, April 16th, I can file for my last check the sunday before I start and then will get that check on Wednesday and it would tie me over until I get my first check.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
It depends on when your start date is for the job. If I start a new job on Monday, April 9th, that may mess me up because I will not get another pay until maybe the end of the month
since I wouldn't be able to file for another check next sunday.

But if I start a new job on Monday, April 16th, I can file for my last check the sunday before I start and then will get that check on Wednesday and it would tie me over until I get my first check.

You will not report you are working until you have for a week, well that is how it works here anyway.

If I start Monday they will not know about it until I report the following Sunday, "yes I got a job" so no check that week but I will get one from my new job.

Why would you wait a month? We get our UI checks every week, except the first and it is for two weeks.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
You will not report you are working until you have for a week, well that is how it works here anyway.

If I start Monday they will not know about it until I report the following Sunday, "yes I got a job" so no check that week but I will get one from my new job.

Why would you wait a month? We get our UI checks every week, except the first and it is for two weeks.
What I'm saying is my next scheduled file date is Sunday, April 15th. So if I got a call today saying I start my new job on Monday, April 9th, I could not file next sunday because that would mean I was lying when I said I didn't work the week ending April 14th.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
What I'm saying is my next scheduled file date is Sunday, April 15th. So if I got a call today saying I start my new job on Monday, April 9th, I could not file next sunday because that would mean I was lying when I said I didn't work the week ending April 14th.
Well that's great news that you finally got a new job. So you're now just waiting for the start date? Excellent. I don't understand all the ins and out of the UE filing dates but I'm sure you'll get it all worked out and a real pay cheque coming in will be such a relief.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:00 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Well that's great news that you finally got a new job. So you're now just waiting for the start date? Excellent. I don't understand all the ins and out of the UE filing dates but I'm sure you'll get it all worked out and a real pay cheque coming in will be such a relief.
I didn't say anything about starting a new job I was giving an exmple

Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Such great news, now maybe he won't be so crabby. He might even stop running to the mods and having threads closed any time someone disagrees with him. I know, it's just a dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment