Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:49 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,447 times

Advertisements

Ok, just trying to help.

Maybe we don't understand--I wouldn't call that narrow minded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 10:30 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No, I have no interest in teaching.

You can do a lot with a math degree. People are so narrow-minded. I was zeroing in on statistics, specifically. Lots of demand for statisticians, both in and out of government.
Why not aim for a degree in statistics or actuarial science?

Or get involved in the data side of IT in your existing IT career and then try to migrate into the business side that uses that data once you establish the relationships and subject matter expertise for that data?

Sorry if this is narrow minded to you. Just trying to help.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Why not aim for a degree in statistics or actuarial science?

Or get involved in the data side of IT in your existing IT career and then try to migrate into the business side that uses that data once you establish the relationships and subject matter expertise for that data?

Sorry if this is narrow minded to you. Just trying to help.
I was hacked off when I wrote my previous post, but my point stands...people need to think outside the box when it comes to degrees.

I already am on the "data side". It's boring and easy. I do extensive analysis, query optimization/tuning, requirements gathering to write new procs/UDFs, etc. Databases are all I do. It's not a challenge, at least not anymore. I don't want to be a DBA because I like having a life. Ditto for data warehousing-heavy roles, since those loads usually kick off at odd hours and require 24/7 support. No thanks.

I don't think I have the chops for actuarial science.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
I was hacked off when I wrote my previous post, but my point stands...people need to think outside the box when it comes to degrees.

I already am on the "data side". It's boring and easy. I do extensive analysis, query optimization/tuning, requirements gathering to write new procs/UDFs, etc. Databases are all I do. It's not a challenge, at least not anymore. I don't want to be a DBA because I like having a life. Ditto for data warehousing-heavy roles, since those loads usually kick off at odd hours and require 24/7 support. No thanks.

I don't think I have the chops for actuarial science.
If you already do that sort of work, why not work on transitioning into BI/data mining? It already requires a lot of the skills you have, it requires knowledge of statistics (buy a few textbooks/solutions manuals on your own and teach yourself), and would be more of a gradual change out of IT.

Don't go back for a second bachelor's degree. That is next to useless...figure out what specific jobs you want, make a list of the skills necessary to get them, and work on building those skills. Begin with your ideal job and work backwards to the degree/education you would need. Don't start by picking a degree and then trying to figure out a job.

Also, any salaried job will end up being 24/7. If you want a job that you always leave at work, no matter what, take a job that pays you hourly.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:25 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Any other I.T. workers here sick and tired of how the industry is going? Personally I'm sick of the outsourcing, the Calcutta sweatshop mentality, the demands on my personal time (24/7 on-call support), the stagnant wages, etc.

Personally I am thinking of getting another bachelor's degree. Mine is in a liberal arts discipline so I'm thinking of getting a BS in mathematics. Anyone here have a bachelor's in math? If so, what do you do for a living? Do you enjoy it? Anyone else desperate to get out of I.T.? If so, what are you doing to achieve that goal?

My soon to be brother in law has a masters in Math and designs websites, and does small low level coding projects, so, cant really help you there.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If you already do that sort of work, why not work on transitioning into BI/data mining? It already requires a lot of the skills you have, it requires knowledge of statistics (buy a few textbooks/solutions manuals on your own and teach yourself), and would be more of a gradual change out of IT.

Don't go back for a second bachelor's degree. That is next to useless...figure out what specific jobs you want, make a list of the skills necessary to get them, and work on building those skills. Begin with your ideal job and work backwards to the degree/education you would need. Don't start by picking a degree and then trying to figure out a job.

Also, any salaried job will end up being 24/7. If you want a job that you always leave at work, no matter what, take a job that pays you hourly.
good info here ^

Old 04-10-2012, 01:08 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,556 times
i was an MCSE network/systems admin back in the good ole days. got out of IT all together several years ago. It has been very difficult for me to career change. Ended up sucking it up and getting another bachelors in accounting. Finished last summer, have had about 10 interviews but no job yet. Figured worst case i could grind out a 25 yr career in accounting and make decent money over time. So far no one is looking to hire an entry level accounting career changer. In most if not all fields there are always tons and tons of fresh 22 yr old grads looking for entry level jobs and companies seem more comfortable hiring them or someone that was layed off yet has several yrs experience than a career changer over 30. who knows, i could be hired next week but it looks and feels very bleak at the moment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment