Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times

Advertisements

college(noun)- going to school in the belief that they're gonna have a better life, and we know that all were doing is breeding a whole new generation of buyers and sellers, BUYERS AND SELLERS! Pimps and wh**es,! and indoctrinating them into a life long hell of debt and indecision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:15 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
That is obviously not a practical example. What about the young person who wants to be a carpenter, a pipe fitter, an electrician, etc? Sure, the economy sucks right now for those folks, but it doesn't mean it will stay like that forever, and it doesn't mean these won't be rewarding careers for the right person. People need to quit worrying so much about the "hot" careers and find the one that is right for them.

I would not recommend general construction trades for anyone. In every down economy in modern history, the first people to go are construction workers.

Thats not counting the fact that construction has always been sporadic employment. If you arent involved with 100% interior work, you can look forward to not working at all for large swaths of the year.

If you have some construction/mechanical aptitude I would recommend welding, because with some adaptation, its applicable in many industries.

I agree with your original statement, thats its pretty pointless to chase whats "hot", because that can change before you are even done training for it, but on the other hand, we have tons of people who went to school for what they wanted to do, and they will NEVER get a job doing that, ever, and are on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars in loans.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Its vital to avoid chasing what is "cold", but one cannot simply chase what is "hot", unless it also matches their abilities and interest. In the 21st century, disinterested employees will not last.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:37 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
A genuine career counselor will not just mouth "college or not."
A friend of mine who was completely up the creek about making a living (living at the Y and working for his room and board) took a battery of tests and they suggested accounting, something he never would have thought of. He took one college class at community college and got some kind of office job at a large grocery chain, and that worked for him.
I think thinking of *wants* when you are below zero in plans/ideas, "What would you do if you won the lottery" kind of thinking, that's not very productive, especially with some depression. There is what I call "circling the airport," where you do something, not perfect or ideal or any such, but something that is a step better than nothing or than what you are doing. Then you circle the airport in a slightly better flight path and work on whatever is next for you.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:39 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
I'm a 21 year old college student, and I'm having a tough time trying to decide on a college major or any career for that matter to focus on.

I've been going to college since 2009, first attending a University in Brooklyn then transferred to a Community College back in 11'. I have a tough time with Math, failing the remedial match course twice. I joined the EMT program and became an EMT, now I'm planning on becoming a Paramedic. The thing is, I'm not too sure if that career is for me either as of this point. I asked my parents to let me take a semester break (since they are paying for it,). I moved out and live closer to my new school with roommates.

The thing is, I don't think college is for me, but the biggest issue I have is the fact that I have no career interests whatsoever as of this time. Pretty much, I just need any type of job that will enable me to make a living and take care of myself. I also suffer from depression, I go to counseling at my school but I really do not enjoy going there the least bit.

What type of programs should I join to get myself back on track?
WOW ! it seams like every day there are more and more of people posting the same questions ,. Don't know what I will be good at or I am not interested in this or that type of work! When are the young people or the older ones looking for a job going to understand that you might just have to think out side the box, no jobs out there then you make one , self employment ( just like in the old days) if people would just sit and look at what will bring in a little money ( there are lots of things out there). Now I am not trying to say I am really smart , I only went to the 10 grade , but I though while working in my fathers garage/ service station ) I would like to do auto body work , so I had no money to go to school as many talk about here so I went to a small shop and told the owner of my plan and that I would work for free untill he though I was worth something . well that only took 3 weeks and then I started getting paid. 34 yrs later I retired form autobody work, thought it would be fun to get into the food business, I had no real experance but the camping group I joined though my cooking was great, so I used my auto body experance to build a Bar-B -Que trailer , started advertising and surprise!! I was self employed in the "Catering business", 5 yrs later I sold both of the trailers I had built and retired again, Yea that didn't last long, about 2 yrs , now I still travel but I have found 2 things I can do as i stop along the way at campgrounds and truck stops . One is referbishing the clouded headlights on all those new auto's and trucks. but the next thing is the easyist product to sell I have ever seen. I saw at a fair in Arizona when I was there, It Is called "OPTIC GUARD" you can see it at www.opticguard.com. It is a eye glass polish, it cleans and removes most of the scratches from them . it comes in a 1oz container, so it doesn't take a lot of room , it sell it self ( I just sit at the dinner table each night and before eating I take it out and clean my own glass's, no sooner do I do that when everyone at the table and others next to me ask what's that ??, after I explain then the money starts flowing , The easiest $80.00.-$100.00 a day I have ever made. Now the reason for this long winded post is this , so many people say they can't find work? well this is not the fancyist job , and there may not be any job security( there really is if your not really afraid to work) you set your own hours, you sell as mony hours a day as you like and as mony days a week as you like , the more you work, the more you will make and the cost, Well! even if you are out of work it will not take your food off the table ,but it most certainly will put food there if you work at it. I have fun doing these differnt things as I travel as I would like to offer a few samples ( 25 jars) of this product, thats $250.00 worth when you sell it ( Also pls let me say, I don't sell for this company) to the first 3 people that DM me with their addresses so you can see what I am talking about . There is really no good reason for some people out there to not be working weather you are young or old, just think out side to usual box. What better way for the young to have some sales experience to put down on an otherwise empty resume, and who knows maybe you will make a great living selling this product ( millions of people wear glasses) I will be waiting . At 70 yrs of age, life has been good to me and it can also be for you.

Last edited by Fighter 1; 04-09-2012 at 05:04 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,372 times
In my opinion college is way overrated. It would be better to have a 4 year degree than not having one, but I don't think it is the only option for a financially stable and/or successful work life. I have a 4 year degree and it has helped me get some jobs, but it wasn't the only thing that allowed me to find work. Work experience is much more important. And who you know is important too b/c usually knowing someone that works for a certain company would be able to put in a good word for you and at least get an interview.

Look into tech schools and community college. Anything in the health/medical field is in high demand. You would get paid pretty good too. I know nurses make good money actually.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,839 times
Learn a trade.

Education is the key, College is not.\

Or try moving to North Dakota. That's why my cousin did. Arrived Friday, had a job Sunday. You can make 8k a month apparently out in the oil fields.

You'll be working like, 80 hours a week but hell. My cousin works inside 8 hours a day and makes like, 15 bucks to apparently just clean up.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:28 AM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I would not recommend general construction trades for anyone. In every down economy in modern history, the first people to go are construction workers.

Thats not counting the fact that construction has always been sporadic employment. If you arent involved with 100% interior work, you can look forward to not working at all for large swaths of the year.

If you have some construction/mechanical aptitude I would recommend welding, because with some adaptation, its applicable in many industries.

I agree with your original statement, thats its pretty pointless to chase whats "hot", because that can change before you are even done training for it, but on the other hand, we have tons of people who went to school for what they wanted to do, and they will NEVER get a job doing that, ever, and are on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars in loans.
I know plenty of welders who are either not working as welders, or don't have the required skills to earn good money. There IS money to be made, but you have to be good. Getting there is the challenge. Not everyone can get that good for a variety of reasons. Even still, finding those good paying welding jobs can be a challenge. Life sucks working as a welder for $13/hr in some crap hole factory, and those kinds of welders are a dime a dozen.

Also, a lot of the good paying welding work was in construction. That obviously isn't there like it used to be. There is only so much high paying underwater welding work to go around in a down economy. Naturally, not every welder is going to be making good money, even with the right skills and ability.

And yes, construction work is down, and that hampers those in the construction trades. So is nearly every other profession depending on who you talk to. There are also a lot of electricians and plumbers out there who would recommend their careers, and many who wouldn't, much like any other career choice. I would recommend my trade for those interested, but a lot of others would not for various reasons. Most of the trades are cyclical and heavily dependent on the economy. Despite this, many of us do stay employed during the downturns. Sometimes, it's a matter of working for less, and accepting that working is better than the alternative. When things start to turn around, that's when you really make your $$$.

The problem with the trades... Some guys look at what they are making in a boom economy and expect that for life. That simply is not practical. So, they finance the sports car, the big house, the boats, the hunting cabin up north... When the economy takes a dump and they are earning half or even less, they get bitter. Of course, those types have the most negative attitudes about their profession. #1 most ignored rule... Base your standard of living on 40 hours a week.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:25 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Learn a trade.

Education is the key, College is not.
Yep... no college degree but I do have 18 years experience in manufacturing... the last 12 in CNC.

My former roommate makes the same $60k I do, but he owes $100k in student loans and I don't.

Quote:
Base your standard of living on 40 hours a week.
This too.

For me I can pay all my bills on about 65% of my 40 hour take home pay per month... that leaves 35% as gravy money.

Of course, when you have been averaging 67 hours a week for 2012 all the overtime is gravy money too.

I did 73 hours this past week... 5 12's and a 13 with Friday off.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
I know plenty of welders who are either not working as welders, or don't have the required skills to earn good money. There IS money to be made, but you have to be good. Getting there is the challenge. Not everyone can get that good for a variety of reasons. Even still, finding those good paying welding jobs can be a challenge. Life sucks working as a welder for $13/hr in some crap hole factory, and those kinds of welders are a dime a dozen.
Ship board welding is so short on people that they are actually trying to lure them from other ship yards, and almost every ship yard has apprentice programs that launch you right in to making 50k a year. Nobody wants to do it because its hot, dirty, and long hours.

As for $13 an hour, I can go on craiglist right now, in the resume section, and find about 500 out of work people locally in the other trades that would take that.

Quote:
Also, a lot of the good paying welding work was in construction. That obviously isn't there like it used to be. There is only so much high paying underwater welding work to go around in a down economy. Naturally, not every welder is going to be making good money, even with the right skills and ability.
Some welding work was/is in construction, but welding is a skill used in almost everything. Nearly every commercial structure, appliance, or piece of mechanical equipment has some welding required. True, you might not be specialized to do a particuliar sort of welding, but you could build out your basic welding skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment