Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 PM

428 posts, read 900,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
What you could do is work up there from May-September (five months) out of that old van when temperatures are okay and then move south in winter.

$8k per month for five months out of the year is $40k. During the time that you are working, you are just paying for gas and food. Move back south in winter and live off the fat until you have to work again next spring. Not a bad deal.

I tried to convince the boyfriend to go and I would stay here and send money back he wasnt having any of that LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
To be completely honest I wish I could drop out, but then I'd have to worry about paying back loans, dealing with my parents, and possibly being exiled pretty much. They are paying for it, and it's impossible for me to just say "**** it, I'm dropping out". Can't be done.
Well there are yet other options. You may have a student health service which offers free or very low cost counseling. That can help.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
When I was in high school, I went to a para-vocational school as well. It was one semester of switching between plumbing, masonry, carpentry and electrical, and then you picked which you wanted to concentrate in (I picked masonry). Want to know what was in those classes with me? Future felons, D and E students, drug addicts, etc. It was basically everyone who probably would have no other option in life. It was not someplace that people "willingly" were flocking to. Out of all of the high schools in the city, which probably accounted for nearly 15k kids, about 150 were enrolled in the program.
The trades have been the dumping ground for the "at-risk" youth over the past 20 years. That's kind of how school counselors planned it. No wonder it's hard to get good quality trade work done It's very difficult to find good candidates for entry level trade jobs because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I have no doubt they are skilled, but they cant even fill apprenticeship programs that specifically teach you how to do this stuff. Thats why the shipyards are constantly raiding each other for workers.
Actually, same problem out here. The entry level machinist jobs are going for around $14-$15 an hour to start for the high value shops, and no takers. Problem is, that kind of work takes a fair bit of smarts, and people with the brains to do it generally avoid it. And most high value work requires a climate controlled work environment, so they are even air conditioned. I'm wondering where the next generation of machinists will come from, because I have seen very few hard working smart kids willing to give it a try. Been good to me, couldn't ask for a better job, although it can be challenging at times.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
most people want a college education.
most just need a trade.
my favorite pick is RN but there are lots more.
jr college or military low or zero cost.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
most people want a college education.
most just need a trade.
my favorite pick is RN but there are lots more.
jr college or military low or zero cost.
RN is a trade? I attended a 2 year program for RN. Ended up dropping out because most of the graduating classes were not finding jobs. Most ended up working as low paid nurse techs. Some got $14/hr nursing jobs. Not worth it for all the stress. Glad I went back to my actual trade, can make a lot more money in it with 1/2 the stress.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Actually, same problem out here. The entry level machinist jobs are going for around $14-$15 an hour to start for the high value shops, and no takers. Problem is, that kind of work takes a fair bit of smarts, and people with the brains to do it generally avoid it. And most high value work requires a climate controlled work environment, so they are even air conditioned. I'm wondering where the next generation of machinists will come from, because I have seen very few hard working smart kids willing to give it a try. Been good to me, couldn't ask for a better job, although it can be challenging at times.
Ill tell you what, if I was in better health, Id probably try to get in one of these more "blue collar" professions. The only thing the white collar world has done is laid me off twice in 8 years.

People like to say that blue collar jobs arent stable, but from my experience, there is absolutely no stability in the white collar world, but every "blue collar" worker I know that isnt a construction worker (ship board construction/iron working, pole climbers and linemen for the electric company/cable company, I dont know any machinists because its not something really done in the area, but I know precision equipment is one of the few industries the US is still leading the world in), have stable careers and seem content.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:43 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
RN is a trade? I attended a 2 year program for RN. Ended up dropping out because most of the graduating classes were not finding jobs. Most ended up working as low paid nurse techs. Some got $14/hr nursing jobs. Not worth it for all the stress. Glad I went back to my actual trade, can make a lot more money in it with 1/2 the stress.

I agree with the sentiment here. Everyone keeps going on about the demand for RN's, but, I never see the corresponding jobs that are supposed to be every where.

What I do see a huge demand for are LPNs and CNAs. For those that dont know about the healthcare field, these amount to little more then janitors/companions for old people, and they make around minimum wage (LPNs make slightly more).

Old 04-11-2012, 07:52 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,283 times
The armed services are USELESS for people over the age they accept you.
Besides the fact you can wind up shot or shooting and killing others. Moral dilemma there for many of us.

What about people who are squeamish and don't like medicine or the idea of dealing with illness?

I agree people need to start doing more with their hands because a lot of people HAVE NO IDEA how to make or build anything.

Everyone should be able to do something/create something by hand.

I can make cakes/pies/desserts that are good tasting. I can also sew and make simple clothes.

I used to think being book smart was the best thing I could in life but I realized practical skills have served me much better during my life, especially once I have had limited income.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I used to think being book smart was the best thing I could in life but I realized practical skills have served me much better during my life, especially once I have had limited income.
The way I see it, there are two types of jobs... Those that depend on what you know, and those that depend on what you can do. In many cases, those that depend on what you know can be done by anyone in the world these days. Your competition may be working for a bowl of rice at the rate things are going... In many cases, the jobs that depend on what you can do require someone to do that within the country. Little more security as far as I can tell.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:37 PM

155 posts, read 244,366 times
The key to success in 2012 America is to be good looking[at least not ugly], extroverted, and have limitless physical energy. I'm convinced you don't even need to be smart. I've met many people in life who are supposedly in "smart" professions[like doctors] and they never seemed all that smart to me. They are just good talkers. It all runs on BS my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment