U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 AM

8 posts, read 118,684 times

Advertisements

I posted here a couple weeks ago about a job interview process, and 2 weeks ago I got my job offer and accepted the position...

At the time of acceptance, my summer trip was already booked so I told the HR person who made the offer and she said that it might not be possible to go with my initial dates of May (because I am only starting next Monday, which is already mid-April), but I could take it during the summer after discussing the topic with my supervisor. She also said that she will talk to him about it before I start. She never got back to me about it, should I email her? I'm afraid to sound as if I am only interested in starting the job and already wanting to going away

If not, I was thinking of bringing up the subject on my first day, but I don't really know how to approach the topic? and what attitude to have?
I really need that time off (I just left my current job last week, so I didn't have any time off), plus my ticket/hotel/attraction tours have already been paid for.

All this makes me feel less excited about this new job/opportunity because I've been planning this trip for so long, etc..

PLEASE HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 AM

156 posts, read 241,654 times
Address this issue before you start - it is normal and customary to take previously planned vacation soon after you start. Keep after the HR person and cc the hiring manager if you have their email.

There is nothing wrong with taking vacation soon after you start. Negative feelings can arise if your manager feels you were not upfront about it - so definitely get this worked out before you start. It will seem like an afterthought ( i.e. you didn't give enough warning ) if you bring this up when you start - even if it is because the HR person did not follow through.

Good Luck

Old 04-09-2012, 08:56 AM

5,103 posts, read 5,219,364 times
If it is already paid for, I think you should mention that fact to your boss and tell them you need an answer ASAP because you need to see how much of your money you can get back.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 AM

22,482 posts, read 27,048,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctecchie View Post
Address this issue before you start - it is normal and customary to take previously planned vacation soon after you start. Keep after the HR person and cc the hiring manager if you have their email.

There is nothing wrong with taking vacation soon after you start. Negative feelings can arise if your manager feels you were not upfront about it - so definitely get this worked out before you start. It will seem like an afterthought ( i.e. you didn't give enough warning ) if you bring this up when you start - even if it is because the HR person did not follow through.

Good Luck
I disagree with the bolded statements but, nonetheless, you should really have addressed this again as soon as you received the job offer. It's more than likely that it simply slipped the HR representative's mind. Can the dates be changed so you can go later on in the summer? I have suggestions for an immediate email to the HR rep but what it says is dependent on whether or not you can change those plans and, if so, how flexible you are with dates.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 AM

3,870 posts, read 5,460,967 times
Employers hate it when they offer you a job and the first thing you do is ask for time off.

Priorities
A vacation or a job.

Most places will not allow a new employee to take vacation time until you put in a year of service.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 AM

17,580 posts, read 21,138,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

Most places will not allow a new employee to take vacation time until you put in a year of service.
Really? I'm glad I never worked for a place like that.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 AM

16,981 posts, read 7,610,854 times
This should have been brought up by you with BOTH H/R and your boss BEFORE accepting the offer. Hopefully, it can be resolved to the satisfaction of all, but if not, you will have to decide what matters most to you, as snofarmer stated.

I would certain not take any time off in the first several months of employment. It sets a bad tone, and does leave a distasteful first impression.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 AM

22,482 posts, read 27,048,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Really? I'm glad I never worked for a place like that.
That's actually pretty standard where paid vacations are concerned but what many companies DO allow is for unpaid time off if a vacation has already been set prior to hire. Obviously this is something that has to be discussed up front but most employers will work something out as long as it's reasonable.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:37 AM

213 posts, read 257,438 times
They are ways around this, see if you can work extra hours during the day or weekends. That should earn you some comp time to start earning the hours needed for time off

Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 AM

2,022 posts, read 3,993,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Employers hate it when they offer you a job and the first thing you do is ask for time off.

Priorities
A vacation or a job.

I'm sure there are those that do.... but to make a general statement like that is off base. I've never had an issue taking vacation within week/days after my start. The main thing is communications. Letting them know of your plans before you accept. This allows you to be up front (and making sure things are okay), as well as understanding the policy on how those days can be treated - some will allow you to go negative on your vacations, others will just have you take unpaid leave, and there's always the chance that they won't let you go (which then will leave you with the decision on whether or not to take the job).

For the OP, its water under the bridge at this point - but it should have been discussed and dealt with before you accepted. At this point, I would make sure you get a clear answer before you actually start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment