Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 03:58 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
unemployed or underemployed and you're looking for work that you're expected to take jobs most wouldn't take themselves?

Don't get me wrong, I'm underemployed at the moment and I'm just looking for anything right now full time with a salary and I'm not picky by any means, BUT some of the jobs people suggest I take are unbelievable. I know some people are trying to help and I appreciate it, but suggestions like working at a prison or trying to suggest I go apply to another crappy job is just stupid. Why apply from one crappy job to another one? It doesn't make any sense to me.
Also, they make it sound like you can just walk in off the streets and snag one of these less desirable positions ... Uh ... Employers are reluctant to hire the overqualified because they don't want someone who will leave once better opportunities come their way AND they want folks with experience. Ignore the naysayers and go with your gut! Best of luck to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 04:10 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's not difficult to figure out. They are saying this because the conversation makes them uncomfortable, they would rather not be in the conversation, and so they are throwing suggestions out there to move the conversation along and end it.

The next question is, how are you getting to the point where this conversation is taking place with people who don't want to discuss your underemployment with you or maybe even don't want to hear about it?

I mean, I'm sure people aren't just leaping up with these suggestions out of nowhere. You must have SAID something about not liking your job or wanting another one for them even to make these suggestions. These are not the people to be having this conversation with. They don't want to hear it.
Some folks, such as family members I have, like to offer unsolicited advice that is so poorly off the target. It is easy for someone who has it all together to criticize someone who does not.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:44 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Unless you are in a state where jails and prisons are privatized, you can't just walk into a job in corrections. And not for nothing, but that's what my other half does, and you'd be lucky to have his benefits, and, given his seniority and length of service, pay.

So do us a favor and get off your high horse. It's not the easiest or most glamorous job in the world, but it definitely beats what you have. Do let us know when you retire at 47 with a pension.
If I was on my high horse, then why in the world would you think that I would take a minimum wage, part time working at Target helping to remodel(with is a lot of labor by the way)? You sound so bitter.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's not difficult to figure out. They are saying this because the conversation makes them uncomfortable, they would rather not be in the conversation, and so they are throwing suggestions out there to move the conversation along and end it.

The next question is, how are you getting to the point where this conversation is taking place with people who don't want to discuss your underemployment with you or maybe even don't want to hear about it?

I mean, I'm sure people aren't just leaping up with these suggestions out of nowhere. You must have SAID something about not liking your job or wanting another one for them even to make these suggestions. These are not the people to be having this conversation with. They don't want to hear it.
I actually rarely talk about my job with people and people like to force their opinions and suggestions on you. You don't always have to bring up something for people to force their opinions or beliefs on you.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well to be fair there are people who if they're aware of a certain situation will bring it up EVERYTIME they see you.

The OP is a recent college graduate living in a small community, paying off student loans, and working in a low paying retail job. So it is quite possible that many people who know her constantly bring it up.

Telling her what she should or should not do.

I was laid off in 2001 due to a corporate merger a couple of months before 9/11. Now I was lucky that I received a generous severance package.

But I had a neighbor who everytime she saw me the first thing out of her mouth was not "hello" it was "are you working yet". Now if you see me home on Tuesday at 2pm in a t-shirt and jeans I'm mostly likely not working.

It got to the point where if I saw her outside I would wait till she went in..LOL. I finally said to her very politely "I will let you know when I find a job, but if you see me home during the day(she was retired) chances are really good I'm not working".

She got a little offended, but I didn't care. I got tired of "Are you working yet" being shouted out including one time in the local library.

Mind you, she never offered to take a copy of my resume and show it around. She was no longer working but did a lot of civic activity.

I think she was just being nosy.

So there are people who focus on your job situtation WITHOUT being asked when someone is unemployed or underemployed.
Thank you. People don't look at the other side of it all. Sometimes others bring it up and it makes people like me feel so uncomfortable talking about so I don't and some people even get mad about it...but oh well.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Also, they make it sound like you can just walk in off the streets and snag one of these less desirable positions ... Uh ... Employers are reluctant to hire the overqualified because they don't want someone who will leave once better opportunities come their way AND they want folks with experience. Ignore the naysayers and go with your gut! Best of luck to you
I even had this one guy who made up his mind before I could say anything and told me that since I was young and a college graduate that he wouldn't give me the job because he felt like I would leave in a matter of months anyway.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Some folks, such as family members I have, like to offer unsolicited advice that is so poorly off the target. It is easy for someone who has it all together to criticize someone who does not.
I have a sister like that. She has a lot of luxuries that I can't even dream of taking advantage of right now. She's not working, she's getting a check from her accident at work, her husband is a school teacher making good money. They both have a house, handling their mortgage quite well, going on trips/vacations, eating out a lot, and doing whatever they want to do. I don't have the luxury of even eating out to Burger King if I wanted to. LOL

Old 04-14-2012, 04:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Exactly. When someone is in a difficult situation whether it is being laid off, a serious illness, or a teen with a drug problem, etc., there are people who start offering their views and opinions when no one asked them in the first place.

And the kicker is most of the time they don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.

The best thing to do is ask the person in the situation "How are things going?", and that gives them the option of whether or not they want to discuss the issue and in how much detail.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:13 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
I don't have the luxury of even eating out to Burger King if I wanted to. LOL
Maybe you don't believe this but there will come a time when things will get better for you. I know it's not easy and we are going through a lot of financial ups and downs also but there will be better days.

I don't think people understand that there is a lot of monotony when you are under or unemployed. You can't use shopping as a diversion nor can you just go out to eat and forget your troubles, even to Burger King, as you say.

Good luck.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. When someone is in a difficult situation whether it is being laid off, a serious illness, or a teen with a drug problem, etc., there are people who start offering their views and opinions when no one asked them in the first place.

And the kicker is most of the time they don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.

The best thing to do is ask the person in the situation "How are things going?", and that gives them the option of whether or not they want to discuss the issue and in how much detail.
I haven't experience someone trying to give me advice face to face which would not be a pretty situation if I didn't ask for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment