Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times

Advertisements

Out pounding the pavement again for a new job after being downsized a few weeks ago. I have 3 face to face interviews and another 4 phone interviews scheduled for the upcoming week, so getting people to call me back has not been an issue.

My issue is what happened to base salaries in sales jobs? All of the jobs I am interviewing with would probably have had at least a small base salary the last time I was job hunting 5 years ago. Now everything is commission only. Commision only is okay after you have been in a job for at least 6 months and have sales coming in, but to make you commission only right from the get go seems harsh.

The other thing that I have noticed is that most of the sales jobs are now 1099 positions, not employee positions. Not going to get too worked up about it if this is the new reality, will just have to adapt. I live in the northwest, so just curious if this is a regional thing or if this is a nationwide development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
did you work in sales previously? a lot of those 1099, commission only sales "jobs" are scams. if the interview focuses on "selling" you the job, run

Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Agree with brocco. I'm in sales and most of my colleagues have a base salary plus either bonus or commission. A few have a draw against commission. I don't know anyone who is straight commission with a legitimate sales job, only vacuum sales types of jobs. And I also don't know any who work solely on a 1099. The ones who are independent are truly independent with their own company set up to represent manufacturers.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 AM

339 posts, read 975,518 times
My understanding is that now most sales jobs are 1099, commission only. My husband has a company that do business to business sales and that is the norm in that particular industry and that is how he pays his people.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM

I've been in sales for the past 15 years and right now the only sales jobs that I see that offer employee status are the high end medical/IT jobs. My background has been in selling business supplies, equipment, marketing supplies, etc... Took a detour to help manage a small business expand nationwide and spent the past 3 years cleaning up their marketing budget, buying ads, cleaning up their logo and other operational items. So it's been almost 5 years since the last time I had to look for a sales job.

Not complaining about 1099 status, just want to make sure that independent contractor is the new normal before I spend time holding out for another job.

The other thing that looks like the new normal is working for 2-3 different companies or product lines. Unless you live a large metro area, it's getting tougher to live off of selling one product. When I lived in Arizona I pretty much lived off of selling bar code labels and equipment because Arizona was a big hub for logistics warehouses. Don't think I could do that now.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
What part of the country are you in? I know of a sales position that is salary plus--They are looking for someone based in the greater Atlanta region, but would probably expand that to anywhere in the southeast for the right person. I know their Miami based customer is one of the largest in that territory. We share a customer base but don't compete so I'm familiar with their business.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
OP, You are aware as a 1099 you will be paying EMPLOYER and EMPLOYEE SS and Medicare taxes, right?

Old 04-13-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
OP, You are aware as a 1099 you will be paying EMPLOYER and EMPLOYEE SS and Medicare taxes, right?

Yep, had an interview today and it's not the perfect position but they pay a small salary and a portion of health insurance. So may just suck it up and wait for them to hire me rather than work for free for a month and have to pay 15% SS and medicare on top of my regular taxes for a 1099 job.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Yep, had an interview today and it's not the perfect position but they pay a small salary and a portion of health insurance. So may just suck it up and wait for them to hire me rather than work for free for a month and have to pay 15% SS and medicare on top of my regular taxes for a 1099 job.
IT would be 15 long-term, 13 this year due to the temporary employee only SS tax cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment