Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 05:10 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Assuming you can get by for as long as it takes on unemployment, if you feel this way, why even ask what others think?
Because that is what an internet forum is all about. Why are you here?

Quote:
If its a case of negative feedback from family or friends, quite frankly I find that abominable. It is NONE of a dependents business, as they are not the ones having to endure the workplace. It is solely the decision IMO of the employee.
Huh? I never said anything about the opinions of my friends and family on this thread nor any other since I have been on this forum.

Quote:
Now,at the same time, if one cannot work in any situation and they quit, I also would find it abominable for them to rely on others for their financial needs. But if one can be financially independent, than its 100% their choice.
Why would you find how other people live their lives an abomination? Judgmental much? Who are you, God? I have supported myself 100% since I was 17 years old, yet I do not judge other people who can't say the same. That's their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 05:24 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
my current job expects everyone to work a minimum of 10 hours a day. I was clear several months ago that I would not be doing that. Someone has been noting my.comings and goings and reported to the owners.of the company. We had a meeting in which one said to me, "I dont care if you have to work until 10 at night..." to which I responded, "Thats not going to happen."

Yelling ensued. The other owner yelled "where if your gratitude to the company paying your bills?!?!" allow me to note, i took a 30% pay cut for this job, a choice I made to change indutries. HOWEVER i will not sacrifice my life for work, which is exactly what you are demanding that i do when you want me to work that much. If I am going to do that, I will do it for the green. But to work that much and 2 years later i dont even have anice chunk of savings? F OUTTA HERE.

In the end i said, "I am not being a smart aleck here but I am being upfront. If you feel the person in my position should work 10-12 hours a day for you, then I am not the right person for this job." since then I see the guy who had my job before - who was.fired - has looked at my linkedin page. Maybe they want him back. I say, go for it.

Seems to me that employers want to treat us like illegal migrant workers these days. I know its a tough job market, but.i am not willing.to be a.slave. I'd rather be.unemployed.

What are your thoughts about these unreasonable requests? Am I lazy crazy, or do you agree wih my principles? What would you do in my position?
I like your gumption. Wish I had the guts to stand up to an employer, but in this economy, I need that paycheck.
As long as not having this job doesn't lead to you being broke and you have enough savings to survive, then I say go for it.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
I like your gumption. Wish I had the guts to stand up to an employer, but in this economy, I need that paycheck.
As long as not having this job doesn't lead to you being broke and you have enough savings to survive, then I say go for it.
I am single, no kids, no debts, no financial obligations. I would have to hunker down, but I will live. I would rather be broke than to turn my life over to my job. And I know fully well I could easily work 60 hours a week for peanuts, and get shown the door for some other reason... but then I will have sacrificed years worth of my life with nothing to show for it. In this city, people who work that much make serious money. We don't even have a great 401k.

Yes, I will be broke. But I have enough to live on modestly.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:14 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,345 times
Quote:
I am single, no kids, no debts, no financial obligations.
Me too... and I'm greedy. It isn't for everyone but the winter here is pretty dull so might as well be working. If I wasn't I'd be home on Xbox Live or something but that doesn't pay overtime.

I'm doing it for the green... plain and simple.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:

Why would you find how other people live their lives an abomination? Judgmental much? Who are you, God? I have supported myself 100% since I was 17 years old, yet I do not judge other people who can't say the same. That's their business.

I am saying it is morally wrong unless those they become dependent on are fully involved in their decision to quit beforehand, and are ok with becoming financially depended upon. If one wants the right to quit, they must accept the responsibility for all consequences.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:52 PM

392 posts, read 704,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I am saying it is morally wrong unless those they become dependent on are fully involved in their decision to quit beforehand, and are ok with becoming financially depended upon. If one wants the right to quit, they must accept the responsibility for all consequences.
Someone also shouldn't leave an abusive relationship unless they can be independent. So unless someone else agrees to take you in, you have a duty to others be pummeled on a daily basis and not make your burden theirs.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
You you aware of the "work as many hours as needed" deal when you started?

If you do indeed have a "director level job" you already KNOW those positions require you to work as many hours as needed to get the job done.

What you made at a previous job is irrelevant to the current job, you accepted the wage for what it is.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
You you aware of the "work as many hours as needed" deal when you started?

If you do indeed have a "director level job" you already KNOW those positions require you to work as many hours as needed to get the job done.

What you made at a previous job is irrelevant to the current job, you accepted the wage for what it is.
You can live your life this way if you want, but i won't. I am free to change my opinion of my job at any time, because I am not a slave. They now can accept what time I am willing to give them, or fire me. It is as simple as that because once again, I am not a slave.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:49 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
The issue outlined in this thread is a primary reason why I freelance.

Onglet, if I'm not mistaken, you're in publishing, too, yes? Or maybe I'm confusing you with someone else. At any rate, if you are, you're in a good position to strike out on your own, as you are single with no kids, debts, or financial obligations. Most think of writing/editing or graphic design for freelancers, but I know people who do contract work in acquisitions and ad sales, too.

Just a thought. I sense you're at the end of your rope, like I was when I walked out on a day gig to freelance. Although I don't encourage people to do it the way I did--let's just say the boss was rendered speechless with the way it went down, which was really something given her incessant yapping all freakin' day long--but it does give a certain amount of satisfaction, especially when people who are still there email you at home and tell you that you're their hero.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:05 PM

I was in publishing until 6 months when i decided to leave. That is when i took my current position.

I used to freelance from 2002 until 2006. I dont want to go back to it because i end up living an incredbly solitary life. I am a loner by nature, and when i freelanced i did not leave my house for weeks at a time (except to go to the supermarket). I need a reason to leave my apartment eveyday. Also i got burned out of $20k which left a bad taste in my mouh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment