Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:16 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
And even if that is the case you need to be fluently bi-lingual. My SIL is a nurse and had to pay to be tested and re registered and is having a hell of a time with finding decent employement down there because she is not bi-lingual and they live between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.
Bi-lingual is not an issue in Naples. S FL, yes. South of Orlando, yes. Other parts of Florida, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 03:50 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Bi-lingual is not an issue in Naples. S FL, yes. South of Orlando, yes. Other parts of Florida, no.
Bi-lingual tends to be a bigger issue on the Altantic coast and not on the Gulf coast like Tampa to Naples.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 AM

9 posts, read 23,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The economy in Florida is terrible... you're going to have to explain to us a little bit more of your plans before we can tell you what to do there..

I'd go to the midwest over Florida any day.

Well you make some good points, but for weather/family reasons I'm still inclined towards Florida. My wife and I are both financial professionals who hold advanced degrees but I realize that we may be settling for a lot less as the price of getting the Florida lifestyle. We don't have kids either so I'm sure we can live within a budget. We're thinking about renting for a while before making a full time commitment.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:58 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlingman77 View Post
My wife and I are both financial professionals who hold advanced degrees...
With the assumption that you need people in their actively earning years for clients...
then you need to focus on the Atlantic coast towns (like Boca).

The Gulf Coast towns (especially Naples) have plenty of people with money but these folks
tend to be more uniformly older and already established and happy with financial professionals
they already have and usually where they come from.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:01 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,920 times
Whereabouts in the Northeast are you and your wife from? I'm originally from Rhode Island and currently reside in Boca Raton. Yes, it is true that most of the transplants living in southeastern Florida and on the Atlantic Coast of the state are from the Northeast whereas most of the transplants living on the west coast are from the Midwest. Like a previous poster mentioned on this thread, that's most likely due to the fact that I-95 spans nearly the entire east coast of the state whereas I-75 spans the majority of the west coast of the state.

Believe it or not, I actually study demographics and demographic trends in my spare time. I know, I'm a nerd!

I've noticed that there are far more transplants from New England, Upstate New York, and western Pennsylvania living in the southwestern part of the state (Naples, Fort Myers, etc.) than in the southeastern part of the state (Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, etc.). Most of the transplants from the Northeast living in South Florida are from New York City, Long Island, the Lower Hudson Valley, New Jersey, Southwestern Connecticut, Greater Philadelphia, and the Baltimore-Washington Corridor. Living in South Florida for two-and-a-half years, I can say with certainty that the aforementioned places are where the majority of South Florida transplants originated. I always tell others that the Gold Coast attracts folks primarily from the Mid-Atlantic. Transplants and retirees alike from New England, Upstate New York, and western Pennsylvania seem more drawn to Southwest Florida; most likely due to its slower pace of life and lower population density; than to South Florida which is very urban, very densely-populated, and is characterized by a very fast-paced lifestyle.

South Florida, north of Miami-Dade County, has a large Jewish/Italian-American presence and vibe whereas Southwest Florida has a much larger German/Irish-American vibe. For example, if you're a German-American from Buffalo, NY or an Irish-American from Springfield, MA; you may feel more comfortable or at home on the Gulf Coast than on the Atlantic Coast. But if you're a Jewish-American from Long Island, then you'd probably fit in much better and feel more comfortable in South Florida than in Southwest Florida.

Just an observation of mine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment