U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 PM

392 posts, read 377,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I wasn't referring to US history. I was referring to farmers in the country of my birth, who still exist to this day. I think you missed my point - the OP had quoted words of Roosevelt over several "rights" which in my opinion fueled the entitlement mentality. So, having a job isn't a right, just as having a house, an education, health care and all such. People should be given as much opportunity to have it, but a right? No.
If you pay taxes, YOU ARE ENTITLED to services just as if I were to pay you to paint my house, I AM ENTITLED to having it done.

The logic isn't that difficult, is it?

Entitlement is expecting something for nothing.

Tithing 35% of your wealth to the State... I wouldn't call that nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 05:59 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,397,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
If you pay taxes, YOU ARE ENTITLED to services just as if I were to pay you to paint my house, I AM ENTITLED to having it done.

The logic isn't that difficult, is it?

Entitlement is expecting something for nothing.

Tithing 35% of your wealth to the State... I wouldn't call that nothing.
You ARE getting services - you are getting roads maintained, schools funded, libraries, state parks and beaches, services if you are disabled, the list goes on. That's where your taxes go. The logic isn't difficult, is it?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
You ARE getting services - you are getting roads maintained, schools funded, libraries, state parks and beaches, services if you are disabled, the list goes on. That's where your taxes go. The logic isn't difficult, is it?
Enlightening post! Thank you!

Unfortunately, state parks are funded though admission fees, roads through gasoline tax/tolls... income tax funds very little services, actually... but I wouldn't expect you to know that based on your previously displayed reasoning capabilities.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 PM

15,856 posts, read 17,126,862 times
I heard in Scotland your job is considered an asset that belongs to you. That is kind of like having a right to work.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,397,386 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, state parks are funded though admission fees, roads through gasoline tax/tolls... income tax funds very little services, actually... but I wouldn't expect you to know that based on your previously displayed reasoning capabilities.
Very nice! Your life in CD could very well be short-lived as well, based on a thread of yours that was closed.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:10 PM

17,028 posts, read 14,549,044 times
Quote:

you're kidding, right?

Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,998 posts, read 2,771,995 times
Soon we will be in the hunger games .

Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 AM

2,028 posts, read 4,007,663 times
uh.. no. Agree with the entitlement issues mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I say yes. Because you can't demand that people pay for the costs of living if you aren't willing to give them the jobs to do so.

I think it's cruel to say to someone "You have to pay for food, housing, etc...but we don't have to give you a job to do so".

No wonder so many turn to illegal activities to earn a living. Can't say I blame them, especially in this economy.
Who specifically are you referring to with "You" and "we" that is somehow responsible for your livelihood?

Quote:

Really? Is that a fact where you live? there are no parks that doesn't charge admission? no roads that don't charge tolls? And what about schools, administrative services, social services, emergency services, legal/judicial services, community services, health services....?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:23 AM

2,000 posts, read 2,761,688 times
Quote:
Annoyingly overly sentimental view of history. The Whiskey rebellion led to the slaughter of innocent people by George Washington because it threatened his whiskey monopoly and their right to making a living for themselves.

People have revolted over injustice thousands of times throughout history, and for much less than their land being taken.

America wasn't built on feudalism where everyone keeps their mouth shut as long as their basic needs are being met, while the aristocracy reaps all the reward.
You missed the point.

I don't believe you have a right to have a job. You have a right to compete for a job equally as another person.

We also expect as a society that citizens of this country will not be starving and dying out on the street when they can't get a job (through either lack of skills, shady pasts, inability to work, medical conditions, etc) which is why we provide a social security system and there are countless organizations who seek to support this sector of society.

Americans, as a whole, are still lamenting that not everyone is going to be able to have fancy all inclusive cable with high speed internet, a nice house, new cars, all the clothes they want, and still be able to go out all the time. People falsely believe that they have a right to home ownership whether or not they have the financial abilities to pay-- we learned a REALLY hard lesson there. Kinda of like when my grandmother used to complain how poor she was-- she owned a home (not a great home, but it was paid for) most of her medical expenses were covered, she had a garage large freezer filled with food (not the food she wanted but still), cars and cable. I don't view that as poor. Could she not afford to go on vacation, absolutely too costly. But she is not truly poor based on every other country in the world.

Of course hey lets have the government mandate a job for everyone and see how many people become royally angry when they are tested and someone makes the decision that the best job you can do is being a cleaner even if your dream was to say be a teacher.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
You missed the point.

I don't believe you have a right to have a job. You have a right to compete for a job equally as another person.
I didn't miss the point, I was replying to a sophomoric post.

I don't believe the government should mandate jobs either. I would much rather pay miniscule income taxes and build savings than tithe the state and hope they provide a service I would need if I ever fell on hard times.

Very little of these taxes we pay go to services. Everything you mention is taken care of the state/local levels by tolls/lottery/property taxes, not a mandated 30% tribute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment