Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:19 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times

Advertisements

This morning I was laid off from my job of five years. I saw it coming and honestly lasted longer in the lay-off process than I thought I would (I had to lay off the two employees who worked under me three weeks ago).

I don't know the first thing about unemployment or other benefits I might be eligible for. I've never been fired from a job or been laid off before- I've always left on my own after being offered a better position elsewhere.

Does anyone have any tips about unemployment or other benefits that someone new to the system might not know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Call the unemployment office and tell them everything.

It wasn't for cause so you will be able to collect. After the unemployment office has set you up, you get a check every week for $400 or so, depending on the state.

You have to report so many "work search" activities a week. Blindly sending resumes out to random companies counts as work searches.

The unemployment office will guide you through everything. It isn't that hard.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 PM

428 posts, read 900,480 times
There is HUGE Difference between getting fired and laid off.. In most cases getting fired is because something u did wrong but if u got laid off it wasnt your fault. The easiest way to file is to go to your states website and file electronically saves ALOT of time waiting on hold to crappy music or my case listening to those stupid Pure Michigan ads. =) Most improtantly dont panic. Just file and then make sure in a couple weeks you register or call in to make sure you get paid your unemployment benefits. It might help to check out unemployment forum on here or at least tell us what state your from and somebody can give you specifics. Good luck and hang in there...

Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Hmmm....sorry to hear that. Yes...file for UI....

Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,103 times
No need to call, visit the unemployment website for your state, just Google ("your state" unemployment)

Enter your social # and company and reason for being unemployed which will be laid-off then the unemployment office will send you this debit card where your money will be placed on until you set up direct deposit to your bank account.

then every two weeks you have to log-on the unemployment website & answer like 5 questions
1. have you looked for work
2. are you currently working
3. have you received income last two weeks

I forget what the last two are but you answer then correctly and you'll receive unemployment benefits, which is usually like 60% of your income when you worked full time.

Its actually easier to file for unemployment than it is to fill out a job application, but hey that's why business pay payroll taxes so they cant just be laying people off then collecting your paycheck to pay off their bad debts!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Also check with the food stamp office to see when you can get food stamps. They may call it "SNAP" now?

So far as food goes, many churches and local groups will give you food boxes right away. Ask at the food stamp office about that.

You may be able to get help with your heating/electric bill. Ask where you get food stamps or food boxes. Some of these places have lists of different places you can get help for this or that.

If you are like most Americans and don't have much savings to live on, don't spend any money on food. You can get all the food you need.

Also if low on funds, cancel everything you don't need. Like TV. If you can use the internet at a library maybe that can be canceled as well. A basic landline phone and answering machine can be much less expensive than a cell phone with all the bells and whistles. Etc.

This forum has a Frugal area in the Business section. Lots of money saving tips there. Also search google.com for frugal tips.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Also check with the food stamp office to see when you can get food stamps.

If you are like most Americans and don't have much savings to live on, don't spend any money on food. You can get all the food you need.
Not sure if I agree...

I was drawing the Georgia maximum of $330 a week UI and I was over the threshold to qualify for food stamp assistance.

I suppose if you are getting an insanely small UI check you would qualify... but most don't.

I think they would want to know about savings and other assets too... food stamps are supposed to be for those in dire need and not to be used as a gimmick to preserve assets.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Enjoy not being around the misfits at work.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:15 AM

894 posts, read 1,325,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Enjoy not being around the misfits at work.

Co-sign

Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
I dont have any tips except

ALWAYS keep this whole experience in the back of your mind. NEVER show any company loyalty, NEVER give more effort then is required and ALWAYS be looking for something better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment