Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 PM

8 posts, read 19,072 times

Advertisements

3 years ago I was fired from a retail job 2 months before the company went under. It was extremely devastating to me as I was wrongly let go and I was in retail management for most of my life.

I tried a desk job and could not take it as it was giving me panic attacks.

I've mentally tried to go back into retail, but the thought of going through the rigors of retail while my husband and I are trying to start a family seem daunting.

Right now I'm just not sure what to do. I thought about a career change, but not sure where to even start. I've done the career quizzes but somehow they seem inaccurate.

I've always wanted to do visual merchandising, interior decorating, personal shopping, mystery shopping, home staging but not sure where to look. Some of these jobs do not find themselves on the major job boards or are scams.

If anyone knows of sites or people that can help in relative to career advice I would love some help (I'm not looking for a psychologist - got that covered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Mystery shopping is a joke. I used to do it in Michigan, more work than it was worth. After completing an assignment, I had alot of paperwork to complete, and fax to by a deadline. Then it all had to be mailed in, as well. The "pay" for this was a refund of the money I spent doing the shop, which was the cost of the meal for 2 at a restaurant, or the awful movie I reviewed. I never came across the "dream" jobs that sent one on vacation, or other up-scale shops. I paid for the original information back then. I have since come across this site for "mystery shoppers": volition.com

Old 04-18-2012, 10:11 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,386 times
Come on over to the hospitality field; we always need managers with experience dealing with the public.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:38 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
I would hate working retail. In fact, dealing with the public in general would probably infuriate me! Manufacturing has always been good to me. Just keep the jobs rolling, machines humming, and workers in line. Managing in a factory wouldn't be a bad gig I suppose. Can make a lot of money in that type of management role.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:44 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
If you did retail for years, moving to Visual Merchandising should be fairly easy. You need to go out into the stores and start handing out resumes, look online and apply. However, it doesn't pay as well to start out. Eventually you can make good money.

If you are trying to have kids, I say go back to what you know. Do retail. You can change careers after you have kids.

It is a hard transition. It took me about five years after I had children to transition into a new field. I had to start over at the bottom making next to nothing, working nights, but it was worth it.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:41 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Lot of sales jobs like to hire retail managers. If you only want to work part time, pick up a job selling advertising to retailers and service companies.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,585 times
Hi

I’m Mary from the Blackford Centre for Interior Design. We have a course in interior design that might be what you’re looking for. It covers interior decorating and home staging. Have a look at this page for more information: [url]http://www.inst.org/ID/become.htm[/url]

I hope this helps.

With best wishes

Mary

Last edited by marygoaround; 08-13-2012 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment