Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,417 times

Advertisements

Rondom dude it was me and another poster who made the analogy about the musical chairs. Can not remember who said it first. I see things from a bigger picture not just myself. If I do good cool for me but if 80% of the population ends up in poor paying service jobs it is a problem. I will be paying for it with my tax dollars food stamps medicaid rent help the list goes on. More jails as crime goes up none of us will get a free ride on this race to the bottom. More and more living wage jobs are disappearing wages keeping going down it is a very slow process most do not even take note till it happens to them. When they understand they can no longer find the wages they were paid after they are laid off. More education more debt for a smaller pool of living wage jobs is not the answer. Underemployment will be a major issue in the future. We may see half of population underemployed educated or not. Global labor arbitrage will drive wages to the floor for many educated workers. It may take 20 years but it will happen. Not everybody going to Yale or going to be a IT superstar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 04:02 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,012,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Rondom dude it was me and another poster who made the analogy about the musical chairs. Can not remember who said it first. I see things from a bigger picture not just myself. If I do good cool for me but if 80% of the population ends up in poor paying service jobs it is a problem. I will be paying for it with my tax dollars food stamps medicaid rent help the list goes on. More jails as crime goes up none of us will get a free ride on this race to the bottom. More and more living wage jobs are disappearing wages keeping going down it is a very slow process most do not even take note till it happens to them. When they understand they can no longer find the wages they were paid after they are laid off. More education more debt for a smaller pool of living wage jobs is not the answer. Underemployment will be a major issue in the future. We may see half of population underemployed educated or not. Global labor arbitrage will drive wages to the floor for many educated workers. It may take 20 years but it will happen. Not everybody going to Yale or going to be a IT superstar.
Unfortunately not enough are going into some of the trades. I'm not talking about food service and other marginally skilled work, but rather highly skilled work such as diesel engine mechanic and wind turbine mechanic. Both of those jobs have more openings than applicants. And you certainly don't need to go to an Ivy league or even college to get into them.

Our local vo-tech program is 20 months and $5K for a heavy duty truck/bus diesel mechanic with a 100% placement rate after completion--starting pay of $30-40K a year.

You can't outsource people to fix engines and turbines. You can't outsource meat cutting (which is still an on-the-job training job.) You can't outsource people to install and fix heavy duty generators--the ones that keep the elevators from plummeting to the basement when the power goes out in a high rise. And you can't outsource elevator, escalator, and moving walk way repairs. Those are all fields with more openings than labor pool to fill them.

Of course some people don't want to get their hands dirty, they'd rather go the easy route taking some BS liberal arts crap and then crying woe is me when the only job they can find after graduating from that fancy college with $80K in student loans is waiting tables. Boo freaking hoo.

Now I'm going to go take a shower, because I got covered in motor oil at work today while looking at a "problem."

Old 04-20-2012, 04:37 PM

21,818 posts, read 25,086,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Federal workers earning double their private counterparts - USATODAY.com

What the data show:
Benefits. Federal workers received average benefits worth $41,791 in 2009. Most of this was the government's contribution to pensions. Employees contributed an additional $10,569.
Pay. The average federal salary has grown 33% faster than inflation since 2000. USA TODAY reported in March that the federal government pays an average of 20% more than private firms for comparable occupations. The analysis did not consider differences in experience and education.
•Total compensation. Federal compensation has grown 36.9% since 2000 after adjusting for inflation, compared with 8.8% for private workers.
Uh.. yeah. Because there aren't a lot of McJobs working for the Federal government. It pays double private sector average and then suddenly pays only 20% more if you consider "comparable occupations" while ignoring education and experience. Amazing how 100% more became 20% when compared to"comparable occupations," and we're still ignoring education experience. In my occupation, you need years of experience and a lot of letters behind your name that only a few have to even be considered. And as I said, at least for my field, federal wages are substantially higher than State wages. They're also more selective. Entry-level is probably $50-60k, no benefits; State isn't entry level and pays about $60-80k, maybe $110k with benefits and experience; Federal pays about $90-120k, maybe $150k with benefits and 20 years of experience. Federal and to a lesser degree State also work like dogs, salaried no overtime. Not that that doesn't happen in the private sector too, but you don't have to and always get paid for working longer hours.

Last edited by Malloric; 04-20-2012 at 05:10 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 05:22 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The job I have is light cleaning--sweeping, mopping, wiping down surfaces, about 15 hours a week. We advertised it as a good job for a retiree or someone who only wanted p/t work like a homemaker with kids in school. The hours were flexible but once they agreed to specific hours, we needed them there during those times or it screws up our production schedule. Around here jobs like that pay minimum wage, maybe $8/hour. We were looking to pay $10 because we figured we'd get a higher caliber of applicant.
You needed a "higher caliber of applicant" just to sweep and mop?
I'm not knocking those responsibilities, but what in the world would the potential employee clean - a palace?

If you already discussed what, sorry about that. I haven't (and won't) read all of the posts, and merely glanced at a few.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
You needed a "higher caliber of applicant" just to sweep and mop?
I'm not knocking those responsibilities, but what in the world would the potential employee clean - a palace?

If you already discussed what, sorry about that. I haven't (and won't) read all of the posts, and merely glanced at a few.
People who will show up for work according to their schedule. People who can work without constant supervision and who have some common sense.

We hired a guy a couple years ago for janitorial work. Sweep, mop, dust, clean bathroom fixtures, really basic stuff. There was literally a check list our shop foreman made up for him. After a few days the garbage cans in the bathrooms were overflowing. Asked the guy why he hadn't emptied them. The answer: Only the trash in the offices, shops, and break areas were on the list, so he didn't think he was supposed to empty the trash in the bathrooms.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,190 times
Quote:
People who will show up for work according to their schedule. People who can work without constant supervision and who have some common sense.

We hired a guy a couple years ago for janitorial work. Sweep, mop, dust, clean bathroom fixtures, really basic stuff. There was literally a check list our shop foreman made up for him. After a few days the garbage cans in the bathrooms were overflowing. Asked the guy why he hadn't emptied them. The answer: Only the trash in the offices, shops, and break areas were on the list, so he didn't think he was supposed to empty the trash in the bathrooms.
Ewww, yuck.
Another example of common sense being uncommon ...

Old 04-20-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Ewww, yuck.
Another example of common sense being uncommon ...
It was so sad that it's actually funny looking back on it. He was a nice guy, but really had no common sense and needed to be doing something super structured with no independent thinking required. He left after a few weeks because he had transportation issues. I hope he found a job that he was more suited for, like I said, he really was a nice guy, but just not very bright.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:52 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,417 times
Meat cutter 30 years ago that may have been a good job. Now no way how do I know? When my Dad was 18 he was a meat cutter made ok money. I have family and friends in the supermarket business. Uncle owns a supermarket non union pays his one meat cutter not good. All the stores in his area are non union expect one which pays pays their meat cutter well. Buddy makes good wages union store in another state. Most stores are no longer union pay their meat cutter chicken feed if they even have one . Most meat is pre cut and packaged that way to cut out the meat cutter themselves. Wal-Mart did this the meat cutters wanted a union they shut the store where the meat cutters worked. Now all their meat is per cut comes off the truck that way. So meat cutting is a 9 dollar an hour job part time and you get the chance to lose a finger. Unless your in a union store and business is breaking the unions in the supermarket business. Wind turbines had some of those as well days are numbered. Framers did not want them on their land also they run into issues with green peace killing of birds. It also cost to much to make the power so they also have started taking them down. It was going to be the next big thing has not panned out. Elevator workers are union workers most of the time and their a closed shop so you better be someone's son or forget it. Your right on about the diesel mechanics. Their use to be 4 voc tech programs for diesel in the city I live now. They have been shut down at least 20 years. We are not a small city. The town I grew up in another state had 3 now it has one and a wait list. We shut down most of our voc tech schools over the last 30 years. The whole everybody needs to go to college which was a dumb idea. Less voc tech programs means less workers coming down the pipeline with skills we need. Same thing happened with tool and die

Old 04-20-2012, 11:49 PM

134 posts, read 367,322 times
Quote:

Well to be fair if you give someone a list that looks pretty comprehensive, it's pretty safe to assume what they need to do is on that list.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:18 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,119,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc212 View Post
Well to be fair if you give someone a list that looks pretty comprehensive, it's pretty safe to assume what they need to do is on that list.
Either Annerk's post is leaving out some details or it is a great example of poor management. Either way, there's a problem at that facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment