Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:38 PM

392 posts, read 704,314 times

Advertisements

Saying 8.50 is "better than nothing" is like saying 1mg of aspirin is better than nothing. There must be a certain dose of something for it to be effective, and at 8.50 an hour all you are getting are the side effects and no benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 02:44 PM

934 posts, read 1,938,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I read it in the article, I reread it when you posted it again.....am I supposed to be more impressed the more times you say it? $9.50-$10 is just as throw away as $8.50 an hour.
So it all boils down to, if it isn't $15-20/hr entry-level, you can't be bothered.

OK if that's your opinion, but why not save all the faux outrage?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:49 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
So it all boils down to, if it isn't $15-20/hr entry-level, you can't be bothered.

OK if that's your opinion, but why not save all the faux outrage?

I dont consider employment that doesnt pay a living wage a job at all.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:55 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
Quote:
I'd have to agree. As said I made $8.50 in 1996... it's nothing that would excite me now... and with monthly expenses totaling $1350 (I'm debt free) it wouldn't even pay the bills.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:58 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
I read it in the article, I reread it when you posted it again.....am I supposed to be more impressed the more times you say it? $9.50-$10 is just as throw away as $8.50 an hour.
I'm referring to the two sentences I followed up with. Sorry to confuse you and I'll try to express myself in very much simpler terms if in the future I address any of your concerns or comments. But I understand your point completely. Hypothetically you've been on unemployment for the max and have had no success finding a job. You have an opportunity to join a growing company where the starting salary for the first 90 days is $8.50/hour with a guaranteed raise at the end of those 90 days to $9.50-$10 an hour. You have no experience whatsoever in this field but the company is happy to train you.

The people who own the company are enthusiastic and motivated and, although they make no promises, it seems that the company has much potential for growth and expansion and it's likely that within a year you could be promoted to a supervisory position. Not only that but you're learning a new skill set which is of great use in the open market.

I understand your point completely. You would sneeringly turn it down because even 90 days at $8.50 an hour is way beneath you and another 90 days at $10 an hour is likewise. Of course you couldn't possibly apply yourself so diligently that you'd be making $15-20 an hour by the time a year has passed by. No way. Not going to happen. Anybody who thinks like that is just plain stupid because we all know how lousy all employers are. They just suck you dry of every ounce of flesh and then cast you off.

Good luck.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
But UE IS a "living wage"? The problem is it doesn't last forever and in most states is being cut back even more.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
But UE IS a "living wage"? The problem is it doesn't last forever and in most states is being cut back even more.
UE isnt always living wage, but it is actually higher in many states, then many low wage jobs. Some of the employers in the article were crying about it. The only reason why they were crying about it was because it was preventing their terrible jobs from being competitive in the market.

Bottom line, these employers would prefer it if there were no minimum standards or safety nets at all, that way, a person would be faced with either starving, or working a job that couldnt possibly pay their bills.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
UE isnt always living wage, but it is actually higher in many states, then many low wage jobs. Some of the employers in the article were crying about it. The only reason why they were crying about it was because it was preventing their terrible jobs from being competitive in the market.

Bottom line, these employers would prefer it if there were no minimum standards or safety nets at all, that way, a person would be faced with either starving, or working a job that couldnt possibly pay their bills.
My point exactly. You've confirmed exactly what I'd already surmised. There's not a shred of optimism in your bones if the dreaded word, "employer" or "boss" is mentioned. As before, good luck!

Old 04-19-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I'm referring to the two sentences I followed up with. Sorry to confuse you and I'll try to express myself in very much simpler terms if in the future I address any of your concerns or comments.
There was no confusion at all. The point was, it wasnt a matter of me not reading or understanding what you said, it was a matter of me not caring about what was said because it has no influence on my opinion.

Quote:
But I understand your point completely. Hypothetically you've been on unemployment for the max and have had no success finding a job. You have an opportunity to join a growing company where the starting salary for the first 90 days is $8.50/hour with a guaranteed raise at the end of those 90 days to $9.50-$10 an hour. You have no experience whatsoever in this field but the company is happy to train you.
This is economic slavery. You have no choice other then to work a terrible job, paying a wage that cannot sustain a minimal lifestyle, because the alternative is being homeless.

Quote:
The people who own the company are enthusiastic and motivated and, although they make no promises, it seems that the company has much potential for growth and expansion and it's likely that within a year you could be promoted to a supervisory position. Not only that but you're learning a new skill set which is of great use in the open market.
Promoted within a year to a supervisory position paying 50% more then a floor level position.....yeah, ok. When I worked at a sub shop, and got promoted to a supervisor position, my pay went from $6.00 an hour to $6.25 an hour, not $9.00 an hour.

Quote:
I understand your point completely. You would sneeringly turn it down because even 90 days at $8.50 an hour is way beneath you and another 90 days at $10 an hour is likewise.
It should be beneath anyone living in the United States. Nobody should be in a position to have to accept a job paying a wage below minimal living standards.

Quote:
Of course you couldn't possibly apply yourself so diligently that you'd be making $15-20 an hour by the time a year has passed by.
This is a completely fantasmal invention to further your case. There is no guarantee of this, nothing in the article stating any such raises, or even the existance of management positions, or the qualifications to obtain one if there was.

Quote:
No way. Not going to happen. Anybody who thinks like that is just plain stupid because we all know how lousy all employers are. They just suck you dry of every ounce of flesh and then cast you off.

Good luck.
Since about 1985, yep, thats been precisely the case.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:25 PM

392 posts, read 704,314 times
Businesses who can't seem to find good help are just as throwaway as a candidate's resume who can't seem to hold a job.
That's the reference check right there - no one wants to work for your crappy company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment