Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 01:59 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times

Advertisements

No, I don't ever feel ashamed that I cannot find a real, decent job. It has nothing to do with me or my resume. The economy has a lot to do with this because we just don't have a large enough manufacturing base in this country anymore. But I do agree with keeping the faith and hope alive. What else can you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 03:50 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
for me more disappointed, at times angry rather than ashamed. However whether I am disappointed, angry, ashamed or whatever, it is never to the point that it discourages me from looking for work.

We all know that if the job seeker does nothing-no applying online, career fairs, looking to connections etc... he will find no job- thus the only to find work is to ACTUALLY do something and not laze around the couch all day-you cannot let feelings of shame or whatever make you not want to search for work. One simply has to keep going, keep applying, be willing to start out in a field or position that is less than ideal etc...

Old 10-10-2013, 07:07 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,144 times
It makes me angry more than anything else. Rejection is hard on anyone's ego and self-esteem, but the on-going search for work without success is frustrating, which takes a toll on my drive and motivation.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:07 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
24/7. I do everything I'm told to do, and I still can't find a job. If only I had a car, I could put an end to this unemployment.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:18 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
24/7. I do everything I'm told to do, and I still can't find a job. If only I had a car, I could put an end to this unemployment.

Parried, I know its hard but you cannot let the fact that you don't have a car stop you. You have to keep pressing on.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:30 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
I think that our society has a "kick them while they're down" attitude. We like to think that there is something wrong with the person rather than blame society as a whole. It is tough to be happy when you are struggling to make it, yet I am the one who is criticized for not making it. I mean really, unemployment and underemployment raises the risk of a person committing suicide by 20% yet our society continues to kick people while they are down.

I seem to notice the whole "kick them while they're down" attitude from people who are making it. I almost see people rejoicing over the fate of many of today's college graduates. "Oh, they took out loans for school to get a degree in accounting and can't find a job! HA yeah, right," is what many would say. Or "what is wrong with you that you have a degree in accounting and can't find a job."

Old 10-10-2013, 08:20 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I think that our society has a "kick them while they're down" attitude. We like to think that there is something wrong with the person rather than blame society as a whole. It is tough to be happy when you are struggling to make it, yet I am the one who is criticized for not making it. I mean really, unemployment and underemployment raises the risk of a person committing suicide by 20% yet our society continues to kick people while they are down.

I seem to notice the whole "kick them while they're down" attitude from people who are making it. I almost see people rejoicing over the fate of many of today's college graduates. "Oh, they took out loans for school to get a degree in accounting and can't find a job! HA yeah, right," is what many would say. Or "what is wrong with you that you have a degree in accounting and can't find a job."

Absolutely. You will definitely get more hatred than support if you are unemployed.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:28 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Absolutely. You will definitely get more hatred than support if you are unemployed.
Then you can get depressed because society says there is something wrong with you. I see the unemployed and underemployed being viewed as losers in today's society. It is sad.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Then you can get depressed because society says there is something wrong with you. I see the unemployed and underemployed being viewed as losers in today's society. It is sad.
In my entire adult, working life, I've never felt like a loser until now. With each day that ticks by, my drive, motivation and self-esteem takes a thrashing. I interview and hear nothing. I interview with the twice and hear nothing. I apply and apply and apply. Nothing. It's like I've been blackballed in the entire business community in this city.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:05 PM

265 posts, read 409,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
for me more disappointed, at times angry rather than ashamed. However whether I am disappointed, angry, ashamed or whatever, it is never to the point that it discourages me from looking for work.

We all know that if the job seeker does nothing-no applying online, career fairs, looking to connections etc... he will find no job- thus the only to find work is to ACTUALLY do something and not laze around the couch all day-you cannot let feelings of shame or whatever make you not want to search for work. One simply has to keep going, keep applying, be willing to start out in a field or position that is less than ideal etc...
was the same for me while i was looking, and even now, although I am employed. However, I have no more anger. It's been gone for months. I'm really just more disappointed that I wasn't able to achieve what I had set out to achieve given all the effort I put forward over the course of years before and after school. It's more just a crushing blow to my own confidence of competence than anything to do with how others view me. I was never ashamed because of that. I have however wallowed a bit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment