U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 AM

5,507 posts, read 5,467,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker38 View Post
you seriously don't see how she's trolling?

she is the poster child of trolling.

look how she responded to my post:

1. she ignored everything but zeroed in on one thing; so all that i said in that post that was reasonable was completely ignored by her in her post

2. she then takes the employer's side as usual - on an employee dominated board - to get a rib out of posters here; if you've followed her posts, you'll see that employers can rarely do wrong in her eyes and employees can rarely do right

3. She knows and I know - and she knows that I know - that not once in my post did i mention that my student loans are "the employers problem." she is trolling by making stuff up because her life is so empty she has to put words in my mouth to attack the employee side

4. Unless she is reaaaaaaally slow and dense, she knows that for an employer to get a well-educated employee from a top school, that that employee will have had to incur student loans 95% of the time; so, for her to say that student loans "are not the employer's problem" means that she is either trolling or she has the mental capacity of a peanut; to even use the words "not the employer's problem" shows that she can't even frame the issue correctly. those words are so loaded that it just oozes trolling.
Average debt from a top 100 school is usually around 15k which really has little impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 AM

842 posts, read 794,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Single, no kids and little to no outstanding debt? Yes (in most states). But if you calculate your take home pay in...say, NYC, you're only bringing in about $1600 every 2 weeks.
This is key. 60K is very doable if you have no kids and do debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Not entirely true. You can live in Queens or Brooklyn relatively well on that if you're frugal. Manhattan would be rather tight, but I have several friends who live in NYC on half that.
Yep. So many think they need to live in Manhattan when you get more bank for your buck in the other boroughs. I live in NYC and I could survive on 60k in Brooklyn.

I would be happy with that salary and benefits.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:47 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,779,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Indeed. I am sooooooo glad I don't have that problem. A friend of mine graduated with a 4 year degree in sports medicine or something and has a job working at Savannah State University in Georgia. Savannah is a very low COL area with jobs that pay little to nothing. He's making just about the same there with his degree that I'm making out here without a degree.

He told me he owes $100k and has a payment in the neighborhood of $700 a month. How you run up debt that high I have no idea, but it sucks to be him. That's a monthly expense I'm glad I don't have.
Wow and I'm complaining about 20K in debt.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:10 PM

89 posts, read 129,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Average debt from a top 100 school is usually around 15k which really has little impact.
i mean, why do you even bother posting? you're just asking to get ripped apart by making that post.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
i mean, why do you even bother posting? you're just asking to get ripped apart by making that post.
Just posting facts. Nothing I can do if people don't like to hear them.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Just posting facts. Nothing I can do if people don't like to hear them.

You mentioned a well educated employee from a top school. The reality is that candidate on average has a rather small student loan.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:54 PM

419 posts, read 311,810 times
I suppose one argue cost of living and definition of middle class determines the answer to the op question. However, it seems obtuse and pedantic to do so unless we're referring to specific city sectors. I'd think the answers is a resounding "yes you can live on that level of income comfortably". In fact, I find it sad that's not the case. Wouldn't the cost of housing be the primary impediment to middle class lifestyle though? So, really, if you're not too fussy about your living quarters, you shouldn't have an issue.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 299 times
$60,000 seems like a lot but after all the deductions from either bills, benifits or taxes your take away is not that much. I make about that much a year and I am a single dad of one. Ultimately we get by however if I had additional income... say $15,000 more, things would be very comfortable...the good thing is that I'm striving to get there and hopefully after I complete all my schooling I will be a contender to make those figures...good luck to all of you...

Old 08-17-2014, 01:33 AM

267 posts, read 100,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Wow and I'm complaining about 20K in debt.
I'm 32k in the hole, however, student loans is the only debt I have. I consider myself lucky I don't have other monthly payments such as mortgages or car loans I'm already used to living frugally, my husband and I have lived on $15,000/year just fine. If I ever get a job that pays decent, similarly what the OP is getting, I'll pay off my loans easy-peasy! Hopefully I don't have kids then

Old 08-17-2014, 07:48 AM

1,837 posts, read 785,038 times
I live on 16,000 a year. At 60k I'd feel like a millionaire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment