Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:23 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times

Advertisements

When I was in high school, I had a clear idea of what I wanted to do with my life. I had it all mapped out about how I was going to get there. But when I got to college, I discovered the reality of the profession that I was aiming for and I knew I wouldn't be happy in it. So I changed course. Part of where I ended up was through process of elimination. It was easier to figure out what I didn't want to do.

There are some people who never figure out what they want to do with their lives. So they just bounce around. But this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes, that's the only way you can figure things out. It's easy to look at the person who settled on a career path early and wish you had done the same. But I've met a number of people who did just that and now feel locked into an occupation that, if they had to do it over again, they would've picked something else. One guy I know comes from a family of lawyers. Because he was surrounded by them and saw how much money they make and how much respect they command, he decided he wanted to be one too. So he went to college, went to law school, passed the Bar, and started working for a law firm. He's still working as a lawyer, but I know he doesn't like it. Why doesn't he switch fields? Because he feels like he's invested too much time and money into becoming a lawyer and because he doesn't know what else to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 04:26 PM

137 posts, read 266,979 times
Reading this makes me feel lucky. I was given a job I love out of college and turned it into a fairly lucrative career.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-in-NEO View Post
Reading this makes me feel lucky. I was given a job I love out of college and turned it into a fairly lucrative career.
But is it "what you want to be when you grow up?"

Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
I knew what I wanted to do since about the 4th grade, maybe earlier. I've been really lucky, worked my way up in the industry finally making decent money and still love going to work. Time away is a bit tough some times but it's a trade off. Even if I won the lottery I can't see quitting.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:00 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,378 times
Nice thread! I was googling left and right tonight second guessing my choice to take my tiny part-time floral business to a full time gig. In answer to your initial question: yep, I'm one of those who never quite got it together. I will say tho - almost every job I have had I have loved or at least enjoyed "enough".

Raised in a blue collar family, I never questioned the expectation of my parents: college was for the boys; we sisters would eventually marry & have kids..."so get a secretary job til then". I had a great time as a flight attendant in my 20s...then life deals you a few OOPS in the game plan.

Tried for children, no luck so I went to college in my thirties. Have a degree that really hasn't lived up to the hype...did some time in the healthcare field...worked along side my husband in his restaurant businesses til a few years before his death... For the past 2 yrs. I have worked with little kids...LOVE it but no full time or bennies. So now I am trying to figure out how to make a decent living as a florist; finding that talent, desire and hard work are no match for the generic online flower industry.

Trust me OP... you are so much younger than you realize! The good thing about your having a decent paying job is being able to research your options without feeling pressured. That's a good thing indeed!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:27 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I didn't realize what I was truly gifted for, until I finished my 150th true crime book. Upon completion of every one of those books: If only you had done this or that or this or that, you never would have gotten caught! And now, at 62, I just don't have the energy to pull off a true crime!

Seriously, I've always wanted to be an architect, which explains my floor to ceiling Lego skyscrapers in my living room. But, 2 years ago, I read a biography of a noted architect, and he referred to architecture as the 2nd oldest profession, next to prostitution.

And reading of all his frustrations thru the book, no thanks, glad I never expended the time to become one.

I did know one aspiring architect, who was relegated to the back room of an architecture firm, designing freeway bridges! Oh horror of horrors! Very few architects are picked to design signature skyscrapers!

Now, if I want to erect a stunning 160 story building, out comes the Lego! Can build one in one week!

Old 05-03-2012, 03:17 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Loving something doesn't mean you'd be any good at it. Trust me on this one!
In fact, the things I love that I am no good at, I like them too much than to inflict my meager abilities on the field. Better to appreciate those who are good at it and support them.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
I'm at a crossroads...and after another crappy day I'm at a loss...I'm good at my job and know a lot-but I have too many incompetent people..I can't kiss ass...I can't do it. I call it the way I see it-I'm burned out and don't make ****...I work an average of 60 hours a week. And for what? My passion is .....I don't know.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Me-I'm about to turn 37 and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up

Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I wasted a good part of my 20's (the 1970's) bouncing from one career choice to another. First: Psychology field, Second: Commercial Art, Third: Journalism, Fourth: Creative Writing, Fifth: Nursing, and lastly: Business/Accounting. In the late 80's I became a Massage Therapist. And the past too many years I've been working as a lowly Nursing Assistant. Now, at 62, too late now to consider other options, I'm stuck, stuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment