Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 AM

460 posts, read 982,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I realize there is no one size fits all answer. There are good internships and not so good ones. But, at a high level I see it like this:

1. Students pay to go to college and get the knowledge they need to get a job.
2. Interns don't get paid (but sometimes do) to get the knowledge they need to get a job.

So in that regard it isn't a bad deal. Almost like a class that you don't have to pay for.

I had a paid internship after my junior year of college. It helped a lot for emergency savings as a broke student. Unpaid internships are fine at well-known companies that let you do interesting projects. Otherwise, I rather find something paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 01:14 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
What about the EXPLOITATION of taxpayers that on a state and federal level have their money taken from them by a third party...
What does that have to do with unpaid internships? All of your complaints should be aimed at the universities and their administrations, since they are the ones who set tuition prices. Students don't control those decisions - they just scramble to come up with the fees.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:30 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
As for the exploitation comment a few posts up...

I'm sure there are statistics that college educated people commit less crimes, are more involved in communities, and any number of positive things for society. So, basically, it's an investment in the quality of your society.

I really hate when an individual taxpayer complains of millions or billions of "their" money being taken. They must be making quite a lot to pay that high of a tax bill!

The point is, it might cost you a few dollars a year. Just like you pay a few dollars for fire protection or to have a sewer system.

Imagine the alternative.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Also, if they feel so exploited, why don't the students quit? All of my internships have been paid in the accounting feild, in some cases well, but it should be an educational expirence. You should be meeting contacts, building a resume, getting confidence, talking with professionals and what have you.

If you aren't getting value at a particular place.....leave. I mean really, if it's that useless, you really have nothing to lose by spending your time more effectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment