Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:40 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times

Advertisements

I have no idea how internships work in the US but i thought this article might interest a few people.

Unpaid internships: campaigners step up the fightback - Channel 4 News

"Websites set up by angry and disillusioned graduates are springing up, offering a chance for unpaid interns to talk about their feeling that internships are often nothing more than exploitation."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 AM

810 posts, read 1,808,328 times
It really depends on the company and what they use "interns" for.

Internships are designed to allow students (and in some cases Graduates) to get hands-on learning experiences based on their fields of study. The majority of them are unpaid, but the right internship will help give them a good solid foundation as they prepare for a professional career.

That being said, the problem is that in this economy companies are trying to squeeze by as minimally as they can. For most, that would be cutting down on full-time staff in favor of part-timers or temporary workers (none of whom get benefits like health, retirement, etc.) In some cases, as I have read in the news, paid employees get replaced by non-paid interns. Now, there's nothing wrong with interning without pay, so long as you are gaining valuable experience and knowledge, but it becomes exploitation if you use your interns to do menial tasks for free. If all an intern is doing is menial tasks without learning thing, I would highly recommend leaving.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:19 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
my school had a program where they would pay you a stipend if you took an unpaid internship, provided you were on financial aid. i definitely understand the frustration, especially in cases where interns are doing menial things like making copies as someone else mentioned.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
.That being said, the problem is that in this economy companies are trying to squeeze by as minimally as they can. For most, that would be cutting down on full-time staff in favor of part-timers or temporary workers (none of whom get benefits like health, retirement, etc.) In some cases, as I have read in the news, paid employees get replaced by non-paid interns. Now, there's nothing wrong with interning without pay, so long as you are gaining valuable experience and knowledge, but it becomes exploitation if you use your interns to do menial tasks for free. If all an intern is doing is menial tasks without learning thing, I would highly recommend leaving.
My eldest is at University and what you describe is pretty much on the nail of what is concerning he and his fellow students. They're more than happy to get experience in their chosen fields by internship, they just don't want companies to abuse the system by using them as 'menial labour'.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 AM

723 posts, read 2,193,648 times
Wow students these days are spoiled. I interned at a software company for a year and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Yes I did extremely menial sysadmin tasks and lifting heavy boxes during the day, but the fun part was meeting industry experts, going into mission critical restricted access areas, getting future contacts and that big name + experience on my resume. I would've done it for free I still can't believe I got paid for it.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:55 AM

279 posts, read 854,392 times
i had an unpaid internship at a company, doing regular work as regular employee. 6 months later, i become a paid temp

Old 04-24-2012, 10:02 AM

810 posts, read 1,808,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Wow students these days are spoiled. I interned at a software company for a year and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Yes I did extremely menial sysadmin tasks and lifting heavy boxes during the day, but the fun part was meeting industry experts, going into mission critical restricted access areas, getting future contacts and that big name + experience on my resume. I would've done it for free I still can't believe I got paid for it.
It's not a matter of being "spoiled;" it's about employers who take advantage of free labor. As for you, there's nothing wrong with OCCASIONALLY doing menial tasks, so long as you are also learning new things and doing stuff that pertains to your field of study. If all they have you doing are menial tasks without teaching you anything or giving you future contacts, that's a very bad thing.

And you got paid for your internships; the majority of interns don't. Even so, the amount of students competing for unpaid internships is staggering, a far cry from your claim that kids are "spoiled."

Old 04-24-2012, 10:48 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
My son is looking at colleges and a professor at one of them offered this up when I asked about internships . . . He said, typically, "freshmen and sophomores are at a learning stage and won't be able to offer much as a software engineer during an internship" which may or may not be true. But he said by the time they are juniors, they bring some valuable skills to the table an he refuses to offer them to companies looking for unpaid interns.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:43 AM

723 posts, read 2,193,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
It's not a matter of being "spoiled;" it's about employers who take advantage of free labor. As for you, there's nothing wrong with OCCASIONALLY doing menial tasks, so long as you are also learning new things and doing stuff that pertains to your field of study. If all they have you doing are menial tasks without teaching you anything or giving you future contacts, that's a very bad thing.
Nothing occasional about my work. I was scheduled to work 20 hr/s per week but i routinely stayed late, overnight (in one case) and on weekends for some assignments because I was so fascinated with the technology (and it was a quiet place to study for school). The menial tasks were done on the clock. Galavanting around the building, networking and getting to know the business was done unpaid. Before I got this internship, I volunteered for 3 years, unpaid, during high school in a lesser role.

I'm not saying that students can't do the work or even that they should do it for free. Gotta eat right? I'm saying that it should be seen for the opportunity to get ahead and learn the business. If it's getting coffee and making copies then so be it. Unless you're stuck in a cage there is no reason that you can't get to know your boss or your coworkers, pick their brain a little and get the ins on the industry. You might not get paid to do it and it might not be in your job description but it still needs to be done.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:59 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I realize there is no one size fits all answer. There are good internships and not so good ones. But, at a high level I see it like this:

1. Students pay to go to college and get the knowledge they need to get a job.
2. Interns don't get paid (but sometimes do) to get the knowledge they need to get a job.

So in that regard it isn't a bad deal. Almost like a class that you don't have to pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment