U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:17 AM

5,507 posts, read 5,482,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Just because students are admitted to an Ivy League school does not guarantee they will learn anything while they're there.
It does mean on average they are smarter and more accomplish than someone who didn't get into any IVy at that same stage of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 AM

644 posts, read 496,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It does mean on average they are smarter and more accomplish than someone who didn't get into any IVy at that same stage of life.
This is such small thinking. Just because a person went to an Ivy League school doesn't make them a better human being nor more intelligent than a person who went to an Non-Ivy League school.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
This is such small thinking. Just because a person went to an Ivy League school doesn't make them a better human being nor more intelligent than a person who went to an Non-Ivy League school.
Exceptions to the rule but I said on average. It's reality that has data and facts to back it up.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Exceptions to the rule but I said on average. It's reality that has data and facts to back it up.
I don't care about numbers and statistics...most of it is B.S. and skewed very heavily.

Think for yourself and don't rely heavily on statistics say because statistics are samples not the end and be all.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I don't care about numbers and statistics...most of it is B.S. and skewed very heavily.

Think for yourself and don't rely heavily on statistics say because statistics are samples not the end and be all.
It's not only data but common sense. I'm not sure what it is that prevents you from admitting those with higher test scores/grades/income are smarter than you on average but whatever it is there is no reasonable logic behind it.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:56 AM

1,957 posts, read 2,252,827 times
Quote:
It's not only data but common sense. I'm not sure what it is that prevents you from admitting those with higher test scores/grades/income are smarter than you on average but whatever it is there is no reasonable logic behind it.
it is the old fundamental attribution error

Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
It's not common sense, because it's all YOUR opinions.

Nothing is preventing me, it's just life. The type of school you attended doesn't tell you everything about yourself. I don't let a piece of paper define who I am as a person nor my intelligence regardless of where it comes from.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 AM

977 posts, read 734,915 times
Quote:

Skewed? No. Just look at the average SAT score, HS GPA, and HS course load of the average student enrolling at Brown vs the average student enrolling at Flyover State U (let's say University of Idaho). The numbers speak for themselves.

Stop trying to deny the obvious.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 AM

20,333 posts, read 15,554,425 times
Whether accurate our not, these are the metrics used for determining the value of an individual in the workforce, generally speaking. And the reasoning is not way out there. Someone who is careless in terms of education has a higher probability of being careless in employment. Psychologists believe that behavioral traits are not confined to specifics contexts. Management uses this as a basis for hiring.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:23 AM

49 posts, read 49,964 times
Quote:
It's not common sense, because it's all YOUR opinions.

Nothing is preventing me, it's just life. The type of school you attended doesn't tell you everything about yourself. I don't let a piece of paper define who I am as a person nor my intelligence regardless of where it comes from.
Man, I'm not sure if you understand about others point of view.

As I said before, world is huge, no one know who are you, where are you from, and stuff. 2 geniuses, 1 in normal school, 1 in ivy school. Surely, if both achieved the same result then people would admire the 1 in normal school more than the ivy. But that is only when people know abour their background. The first impression would nearly always favor the ivy one.

Hey, I'm not ivy fan either. When I'm in middle school, my school is always 3rd grade when my friends are all ivy. But now I have a fortune and nearly all of them are still struggle to make meet ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment