Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:24 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I know many successful graduates of Duke. But most people are saying It's not a determining factor at all. OP asked does it determine your success. The short answer is NO.

As for recruitments, there are recruitment events everywhere. They are not just at Ivy colleges. In factor, after I left the Army, I went to a recruitment event at a hotel. I scored at nice job at Fidelity Investments.
Unfortunately, I think you are missing the point.

FIDO is very different than an organization such as Bain.

In fact, depending on the job, FIDO will specifically recruit certain graduates from certain programs.

FIDO is a great company, although to be truthful I think they are more sitting on their previous successes-- they have some issues that I hope they resolve eventually. And there are many companies in the Northeast and some in the South that will give a former FIDO employee a heads up over other candidates for certain jobs. In fact, if you want to go into certain areas at FIDO such as their internal consulting groups, you will HAVE to have certain types of consulting experience and a pedigree from certain companies that will only recruit from certain university programs. For your general project manager or software engineer this is not going to harm you by any stretch of the imagination.

But I go back to-- if you want to get into certain prestigious organizations and positions-- it will depend heavily on who will recruit at your school.

Not everyone wants that. To be fair the poster who posted about friends who could or did get into MIT but were too homebody or scared to move 3k miles away are probably not the types that say Bain and Company or Boston Consulting will look at.

My point is that even when I began my graduate program (MBA) I looked VERY closely at who recruited from my school. I have a certain job that I am going after once I graduate and truth be told if I went to say a NCSU versus a Duke, I would not be looked at as a serious applicant.

To be even more clear and restate what I have tried to say, your college name is not going to guarantee you success in life. There are never those kinds of guarantees and if there were-- those colleges would be more expensive than we could imagine. But, certain institutions offer a doorway that is NOT open or opened only a tiny bit for those from other institutions.

I don't put that all to Ivy Leagues-- there are some incredible universities in the USA that are not Ivy Leagues (hello Stanford, Duke, etc). There are some international universities that are also extremely well regarded-- hello INSEAD, Oxford, Cambridge, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:27 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,695,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It's a fact. Go look at average GPA and test scores.

As others have tried to explain your personal examples are useless in a large scale debate.
Link?! Proof of your assumption?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,137 times
Quote:
I know many successful graduates of Duke. But most people are saying It's not a determining factor at all. OP asked does it determine your success. The short answer is NO.

As for recruitments, there are recruitment events everywhere. They are not just at Ivy colleges. In factor, after I left the Army, I went to a recruitment event at a hotel. I scored at nice job at Fidelity Investments.
Quote:
Bain has little in common with what Fidelity does in NC.

Let's put it this way. You own a company and have to hire 50 people. You have to pick 50 that graduated from Yale or 50 that graduated from NC State. Which group are you picking if that is all you know?
I'm picking the ones that are intelligent, know their stuff, have experience maybe from internships, had projects outside of school in the REAL world. Most interviews and resumes don't just list your Ivy league school name.

I understand that Bain ( have no idea what it is ) and Fidelity may not have anything in common. But success can be accomplished in many major companies and even small business. Most Fidelity employees would be considered successful. Some come from Ivy league with debt up to sky or parents paying for everything. You can have a student from NC State that worked tooth and nail to pay off every little inch of tuition themselves while take a full course load. That's the kind of employee I want. One that had drive whether from Duke, Havard or NC State.

In fact, some Duke students arent all smart and talented. Some students get in when money talks, politician parents, kids of the University teachers and admin. so you can go to Duke all you want but book smart will only take you so far.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:41 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,966 times
Quote:
I'm picking the ones that are intelligent, know their stuff, have experience maybe from internships, had projects outside of school in the REAL world. Most interviews and resumes don't just list your Ivy league school name.

I understand that Bain ( have no idea what it is ) and Fidelity may not have anything in common. But success can be accomplished in many major companies and even small business. Most Fidelity employees would be considered successful. Some come from Ivy league with debt up to sky or parents paying for everything. You can have a student from NC State that worked tooth and nail to pay off every little inch of tuition themselves while take a full course load. That's the kind of employee I want. One that had drive whether from Duke, Havard or NC State.

In fact, some Duke students arent all smart and talented. Some students get in when money talks, politician parents, kids of the University teachers and admin. so you can go to Duke all you want but book smart will only take you so far.
I take it from your lack of answer you'd pick the Yale group. No one is saying there aren't some just as talented at other schools. What you do know is on average the accomplished less in HS.

You are exposing your bias here with the hard working NC State student vs the rich Duke one.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Link?! Proof of your assumption?
You are kidding right? Go look at average test scores/grades for incoming freshman.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I take it from your lack of answer you'd pick the Yale group. No one is saying there aren't some just as talented at other schools. What you do know is on average the accomplished less in HS.

You are exposing your bias here with the hard working NC State student vs the rich Duke one.

Bias? I'm not bias with NC State or Duke. If fact you mentioned it in one of your post before I posted. I didn't go to either. In fact I went to UNC for undergrad and Villanova for Masters certification before starting my Masters. It hasn't nothing to do with any one school. My point is that successful people are determined by them not the school they go to in college aka Bill Gates and Steve Jobs! Bill Gates went to Havard then dropped out. He determined his success not a school.

What is your specific reasons that you would choose a Yale student? If someone chooses someone just based on a school, then they are highly educated themselves. I could list the many CEO's that didn't go to IVY league Yale, Havard, Duke etc. in the end YOU are in charge of your success, not a school.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Bias? I'm not bias with NC State or Duke. If fact you mentioned it in one of your post before I posted. I didn't go to either. In fact I went to UNC for undergrad and Villanova for Masters certification before starting my Masters. It hasn't nothing to do with any one school. My point is that successful people are determined by them not the school they go to in college aka Bill Gates and Steve Jobs! Bill Gates went to Havard then dropped out. He determined his success not a school.

What is your specific reasons that you would choose a Yale student? If someone chooses someone just based on a school, then they are highly educated themselves. I could list the many CEO's that didn't go to IVY league Yale, Havard, Duke etc. in the end YOU are in charge of your success, not a school.
You are missing the point in the large scale debate. The Yale student on average is much more accomplished than the average NC State student as they enter school. Which is why anyone hiring takes the Yale group.

It's a given and common sense that you can succeed without going to an Ivy. The topic is a schools population as a whole.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
You are missing the point in the large scale debate. The Yale student on average is much more accomplished than the average NC State student as they enter school. Which is why anyone hiring takes the Yale group.

It's a given and common sense that you can succeed without going to an Ivy. The topic is a schools population as a whole.
I think YOU are missing the point of the OP's original question "The type of College You Attended Should Determine Your Sucess? That's the specific question that was asked. All the other debating may have little to do with OP's question. We know for a fact that people get off topic all the time.

It doesn't appear to be a given if OP is asking for our opinion.

Below is the OP's specific issue

Okay, so I just had this one former classmate that went to the same school as I did and they are blaming the school as to why so many people are unemployed or underemployed. He's implying that the school you attended will determine your success in life. For example, if you went to a lesser known school that isn't ivy league then it expect life to be even harder for you. If you went to Harvard or Yale, then you'll do great.

Do you agree with this mentality? Why or why not?

I personally think when people are talking about the economy they usually have no clue as to what they are saying. It's asnine to think that the college you attended is the reason why you're struggling. smdh

My response NO you will not struggle, no you will not be unemployed. I don't agree with that mentality and here's why! See my posts.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I think YOU are missing the point of the OP's original question "The type of College You Attended Should Determine Your Sucess? That's the specific question that was asked. All the other debating may have little to do with OP's question. We know for a fact that people get off topic all the time.

It doesn't appear to be a given if OP is asking for our opinion.

Below is the OP's specific issue

Okay, so I just had this one former classmate that went to the same school as I did and they are blaming the school as to why so many people are unemployed or underemployed. He's implying that the school you attended will determine your success in life. For example, if you went to a lesser known school that isn't ivy league then it expect life to be even harder for you. If you went to Harvard or Yale, then you'll do great.

Do you agree with this mentality? Why or why not?

I personally think when people are talking about the economy they usually have no clue as to what they are saying. It's asnine to think that the college you attended is the reason why you're struggling. smdh

My response NO you will not struggle, no you will not be unemployed. I don't agree with that mentality and here's why! See my posts.
The response is the same. On average the kid who went to a better school will be more successful. You already know on average they were more succesful in HS.

His friend is foolish for blaming the school for his failures.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
Quote:
Sure it does. The lower tier student accomplished less academically in HS.
So you believe it is rational to choose which colleges to recruit from.... based on how well their students did on average before they entered college?

Makes even less sense when you consider fields like my own (software development), where very few high school curricula have any substantial coursework.

Take two students, identical HS coursework and grades. Send one of them through an Ivy League program, have them struggle and barely graduate. Send the other one through a state school, have them graduate summa *** laude. Which one has a better shot at a job upon graduation nowadays? Answer: the Ivy League student. That's NOT because of any difference between the students, it's because the perception is making reality.

(ahh, city data profanity filter, you're such a joke sometimes. The word means nothing more than "with".)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment