Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:26 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times

Advertisements

Are you provided or are annual or quarterly goals laid out by your boss for you to meet. Start there. Every quater you have met or exceeded your quarterly goals.

What sets you apart from your counter-parts. How much more volume to do you sell verses them.

Find out what the going salary rate is within your geographical area for someone with the same or similiar job. Tread ligthly with when bringing this to someone's attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 04:19 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Anytime I decided to ask for more money, I always stopped to ask myself what would I do if I was turned down. Would I start looking for a new job? Would I go back to work like nothing happened? Would I try again in a few months? You have to be careful. If they turn you down, now the cat's out of the bag. They know you want more and will be expecting you to either leave or not work as hard.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:01 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,553 times
its a good idea to line up a second job that pays more. Then go to ur current job and ask for more or your leaving for another company.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsh0t View Post
its a good idea to line up a second job that pays more. Then go to ur current job and ask for more or your leaving for another company.
There's a danger to this, however. If your company can't or won't match the offer, you have to be ready to follow through on your threat. So be sure the other job is one you'd actually want. If, on the other hand, your company matches the offer and you stay, they're now aware that you had one foot out the door. If the only thing keeping you from leaving is money, then sooner or later, you'll want even more money. The company may not want such an employee.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:17 AM

200 posts, read 505,090 times
I'm still holding off approaching my boss about a higher incentive plan. I have yet to secure an offer from the companies I have been interviewing with and I don't want to ask for more money without having that safety net of a competitor's offer once I put a target on my back.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was witnessed an interviewing by someone else in the company and they alerted my boss that I was interviewing with a competitor. I'm a little shocked that nobody has approached me yet with anything positive or negative in regards to my job seeking. My boss doesn't know I know he knows so it's kind of comical when I have to call him because I can tell he's waiting for my notice on the other end every time he picks up. I'm carry on though business as usual unless I get an offer and it's an offer I would be interested in taking.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:54 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,518 times
Default You are doing the right thing, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinHenderson View Post
I'm still holding off approaching my boss about a higher incentive plan. I have yet to secure an offer from the companies I have been interviewing with and I don't want to ask for more money without having that safety net of a competitor's offer once I put a target on my back.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was witnessed an interviewing by someone else in the company and they alerted my boss that I was interviewing with a competitor. I'm a little shocked that nobody has approached me yet with anything positive or negative in regards to my job seeking. My boss doesn't know I know he knows so it's kind of comical when I have to call him because I can tell he's waiting for my notice on the other end every time he picks up. I'm carry on though business as usual unless I get an offer and it's an offer I would be interested in taking.
I've been a manager for over 30 years. Don't expect to get your incentives increased. No business is going to change their incentive plan to pay you more for the same result. That would be poor management. They are only going to ever pay you what they need to keep you.

If you want more money from your current employer, make them more money.

Remember this when you get another offer if your current company decides they want to keep you and counters with more than you make now. Your known displeasure at the bonus and incentive numbers will always be how you are known there and will stifle your ability to be considered for advancement.

It's time to move on. Continue looking for your next job. You can jerk your current employer around if they really want to keep you, but don't listen to their song, just go.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:17 PM

200 posts, read 505,090 times
Well I haven't got an offer yet but I did passively approach my supervisor about opportunities to increase my pay with the company. I offered up my ability to drive sales to a few larger stores that I believe are under performing with their current leadership. I couldn't be as frank as I wanted to be with him on the phone because I had my subordinates running in and out of earshot and I don't want them to hear that I'm disgruntled with my current pay. All I really accomplished was identify myself as being displeased with the pay system and a $300 bonus on my next paycheck. Oh, and I started chewing again.

Last edited by BackinHenderson; 06-04-2012 at 08:26 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 09:56 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinHenderson View Post
Well I haven't got an offer yet but I did passively approach my supervisor about opportunities to increase my pay with the company. I offered up my ability to drive sales to a few larger stores that I believe are under performing with their current leadership.
I am sending good wishes for you to get that offer sooner rather than later! A sales guy can't afford to go around acting sheepish.

Please consider setting things up in a more controlled manner in the future - If at all possible, you want to control the grounds and terms of your engagement with competitors, and also with your manager. For all you know, your boss and this guy are golfing buddies. Please consider how it cramps your style to have guarded conversations with your manager because of subordinates. Both of the situations you describe put you at risk of being on the defensive - a posture which takes away from your numbers.
It's all connected, IMHO.

Very best to you, I hope you get your jump, however it may come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment