Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:33 PM

200 posts, read 504,929 times

Advertisements

How should I go about doing this. I have a scheduled meeting with my district manager and regional manager coming up in few weeks. I'm becoming very disgruntled in how much effort I put into driving sales and how little I get in return. I feel like I'm killing myself while a buch of old Boomers sit in their easy chairs getting rich off my hard work.

I am pondering whether or not I should ask for a bigger slice of the pie off what my store produces. I know store managers who get promoted to larger volume stores see their bonuses cut in half because the company wants to try to cap their salary as store managers. I am routinely number one in comp gains in my region and I feel like I should be getting paid much more. I've gone on a few interviews trying to get an offer with greater performance incentives.

Should I hold off waiting to hit my bosses with a request for better performance incentives until I have an offer secured from a different employer or should I risk it without that safety net?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 07:44 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,116,455 times
Simply lay out your reasoning on why you think you deserve to be better compensated.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:25 AM

878 posts, read 1,652,455 times
I haven't gotten a raise since I started at my job nearly a year ago... and I haven't asked for one either.

There are dozens of people standing in line willing to do my job for less money... not going to put a bullseye on my forehead asking for more money. I get a nice diet of overtime which IMHO is better than a raise anyway, but even if I was a straight 40 hour type guy I'd be keeping my mouth shut.

It's an employer's market right now.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I haven't gotten a raise since I started at my job nearly a year ago... and I haven't asked for one either.

There are dozens of people standing in line willing to do my job for less money... not going to put a bullseye on my forehead asking for more money. I get a nice diet of overtime which IMHO is better than a raise anyway, but even if I was a straight 40 hour type guy I'd be keeping my mouth shut.

I don't get overtime. I work 60 to 70 hours a week and I usually don't work less than 55 hours. My income is performance based, but our performance incentives are pretty week. I make just as much running a retail store as I did sitting in a cubicle dialing for dollars Monday thru Friday 8 am to 5 pm.

The days of it being an employer's market are dwindling. The largest generation in the workforce are exiting the workforce in greater numbers every year now. Employers are going to be facing an employee shortage soon. I'm trying to take advantage of this now.

You are right, they definitely could find somebody to do my job today if the needed to, but at a cost to them. I'm a sales guy and understand clearly how to drive sales and develop business which is why I can take the volume store I have and still drive it up 40 to 50 percent every week. I would be willing to take a high stakes bet that my replacement would struggle to put up any double digit gains at all.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:05 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinHenderson View Post
I don't get overtime. I work 60 to 70 hours a week and I usually don't work less than 55 hours. My income is performance based, but our performance incentives are pretty week. I make just as much running a retail store as I did sitting in a cubicle dialing for dollars Monday thru Friday 8 am to 5 pm.

The days of it being an employer's market are dwindling. The largest generation in the workforce are exiting the workforce in greater numbers every year now. Employers are going to be facing an employee shortage soon. I'm trying to take advantage of this now.

You are right, they definitely could find somebody to do my job today if the needed to, but at a cost to them. I'm a sales guy and understand clearly how to drive sales and develop business which is why I can take the volume store I have and still drive it up 40 to 50 percent every week. I would be willing to take a high stakes bet that my replacement would struggle to put up any double digit gains at all.
That's the key in today's employment market. Sure, there are lots of people in line waiting for your job, but if you can show that you're better than any of them you have a chance to get what you want.

This actually worked for me earlier this year. I got a job offer and the salary was a little low. So I asked for more, and they agreed. Out of all the people they interviewed, I was the only person who had the skills they were looking for.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:28 PM

134 posts, read 367,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post

Sales and management workers like that can be in a much better position to drive revenue than line workers or even a lot of skilled labor, and that takes a lot of skill. You can't just drop and replace as easily.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Well I'm keeping my mouth shut tomorrow. I have a meeting next week with a competitor's regional manager in regards to doing the same job in the same industry for quite a bit more money next week. I interviewed with them several weeks ago and thought I had blown it trying to ask for way too much money.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:44 AM

So I had a meeting with the regional manager of the company I'm looking to jump ship to. The meeting went well, but while I was conducting the interview the Area Sales Manager for my company saw me interviewing. Nobody has said anything to me yet, but the area sales manager has the District Manager on speed dial. Should I be worried?

Old 05-12-2012, 05:49 AM

337 posts, read 408,878 times
Sometimes the only time that I have been offered what I was worth was when I was leaving a company. Then they offer more money to keep me. I would investigate what similar companies are paying their salespeople and see if what you are making is in line with that before I would push it too hard.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:53 AM

[quote=Mind over Chatter;24270982]Sometimes the only time that I have been offered what I was worth was when I was leaving a company. Then they offer more money to keep me. I would investigate what similar companies are paying their salespeople and see if what you are making is in line with that before I would push it too hard.[/quote

I have been interviewing with a company doing the same job I do now, but with a much better compensation package. I already know I am low balled on my incentives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment