Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,776,772 times

Advertisements

Anyone in this field can tell me a little about the employment opportunities that are there once you get a B.S degree?

Health Informatics Degree | Online Bachelor

any advice will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 12:52 PM

723 posts, read 2,187,338 times
It looks ok I suppose. Medical IT has always been hot but it's been getting hotter (of course all industries say this) because A) The lack of a universal , unified health record, B) organizations who still use paper records and want to move to an electronic medical record system and most importantly C) proper protection of PII and HIPAA compliance . So is there good reason why there should be good demand? Sure. But is there an actual demand? I think so, but take my advice with a grain of salt. I've done a lot of research on EMR but i'm not in the business.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,985,403 times
This is a great degree, but I highly recommend you go to a university "in the middle" of it. You want to stick to universities near DC. Consider JHU. They're a decent school.

I don't know if WGU will have the contracts with all the government health informatics work that you'll need to learn and gain experience.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is a great degree, but I highly recommend you go to a university "in the middle" of it. You want to stick to universities near DC. Consider JHU. They're a decent school.

I don't know if WGU will have the contracts with all the government health informatics work that you'll need to learn and gain experience.
Not many schools offer it and I work pretty tough hours. By the time I get home its 7pm so I can't attend night classes. The program is accredited and that's good. I'm looking to do a online course, I live in south Florida.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:16 PM

137 posts, read 266,126 times
I am a business analyst and right now they are predicting a large deficit of IT people (especially BAs and PMs) due to the changes to health care laws. So yes, it's a growing field! I don't know for how long, but seeing as IT is growing while many other professions are taken away due to technology, I'd prefer to be on this side of things.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 PM

578 posts, read 1,289,647 times
I'm currently in the Health IT field. I'm unsure what your degree is for -- is it back end programming or is it front end training?

I'm on the front end training and education side of health IT. Jobs are hard to come by for people with no work experience, and/or no experience with the EHR systems. The pay is good, but you have to travel fairly often.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
I'm currently in the Health IT field. I'm unsure what your degree is for -- is it back end programming or is it front end training?

I'm on the front end training and education side of health IT. Jobs are hard to come by for people with no work experience, and/or no experience with the EHR systems. The pay is good, but you have to travel fairly often.
Please check out the courses in the link, I don't know much about the field. I work at a school currently as a document scanner, I'm trying to prepare for my N+ and look for some helpdesk jobs in the meantime.

I just wanted some info on the career choice and if it's a good move. I have a A.S in Networking and was looking at a BS degree.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 AM

578 posts, read 1,289,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Please check out the courses in the link, I don't know much about the field. I work at a school currently as a document scanner, I'm trying to prepare for my N+ and look for some helpdesk jobs in the meantime.

I just wanted some info on the career choice and if it's a good move. I have a A.S in Networking and was looking at a BS degree.
Sorry about that.

I wish I could help you more. It looks like that degree is more back-end than front end. The manta of front-end seems to be not to learn what the doctors + staff know, but to help the doctors and their staff in understanding technology. (A link to the general program if you're interested.)

Regardless of what you decide to do, HCIT is hard to get into. You have to get some experience and know the right people, whether this means volunteering at a hospital with an EHR or working as help desk 1 at an EHR vendor or even a hospital network.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Sorry about that.

I wish I could help you more. It looks like that degree is more back-end than front end. The manta of front-end seems to be not to learn what the doctors + staff know, but to help the doctors and their staff in understanding technology. (A link to the general program if you're interested.)

Regardless of what you decide to do, HCIT is hard to get into. You have to get some experience and know the right people, whether this means volunteering at a hospital with an EHR or working as help desk 1 at an EHR vendor or even a hospital network.
Thanks, the course comes with a internship, it's all done online then you intern in a hospital. I agree it's more back end. I'm starting a new career at 37 so I wanted something easy to get into that's not a crapshoot if you know what I mean.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:32 AM

240 posts, read 450,092 times
Quote:

So how do Health IT and Health Info Mgmt differ? are you taught the same skills and systems? can an IT worker code EHR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment