Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,600,552 times

Advertisements

The way the economy is many health care programs can be very selective, the glut of students applying to resp tech, nursing etc... is overwhelming. When I hear 400 applications for 20 spots for the Accelerated BSN my heart sinks.

OP I am almost in the same situation as your husband just put in "nursing" for pharamcy.
If after applying for 2 years in a row and I am still a "pre nursing student" I will consider a career shift, preferably in allied health as at least all the scieince courses taken does not go to waste. If allied health does not work out then I am kinda boned all that time and money spent on those science classes... don't want to think about it atm

Before abandoing health care all togthere look into allied health options though my guess is they will all require more schooling/money. Another option is EMT, that training is about 6months and he can proably find a job working transport ems ( no emergenices really, rather pick up grandma drive her to dialysis, pick up from dialysis drive her home). However bear in mind emt pay is pretty poor 12-13$ an hour and there is not much room for advancement in the EMT field.

So to sum up:

Allied health field
EMT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 04:10 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,680,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I answered up thread but I can't stop thinking about this thread. It makes no sense to me that someone who doesn't really care what he does and only really wants to make $20/hr, would put in the time and effort to take all those pre req's and try to get a doctorate (3-4 more years); then when that doesn't work out, balk at other programs that would take 2 more years and loans. Someone who doesn't care what they do would go to a technical school or utilize the degree he already has. Makes no difference to me, I just don't get it.
Sounds like this person just wants a good paying job and went to healthcare for the $$$. Like many others are doing these days. Trouble is, these people are often horrible at what they do because they have no interest in the field.

Heck, I would like a good paying job too. I am sick of working for crap pay. If there were a degree that was a guaranteed good paying job, I would take out loans and go for it, but there isn't. That being said, I am developing my goals and trying to determine my interests because I want a good paying job I can be excited about. I am considering the medical field as well. Not for the money, but because I love to help people feel better. Plus, science is interesting for me. If I go to school, I will work my way through. Believe me I am tired too. At least the OP is married and has a spouse to help with bills. I don't have anyone.

I said that the OP should look into the skilled trades since he was a construction worker for 15 years. CNC machinists, wind turbine technicians, coal miners, and power plant technicians seem to be in the most demand in my area. There are also jobs in solar energy. Some construction workers in AZ are going into this field. Engineers seem to be in demand, especially software engineers and electrical engineers. I can't recommend civil engineering though.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:51 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,052,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
So, what you're saying is that there's a nursing shortage?
You quoted an entire post - including a video - just to add a one-line response of no value?

Old 05-03-2012, 01:37 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
How many schools did he apply to? Did he have any experience? Many of the pharmD people I know did work as pharmacy technicians. And had their supervising pharmacists write their letter of recommendation. It is folks with no experience in the field, and no credible recommendations, that get tossed first. I suggest Optometery or medical technology...nuclear medicine is huge now...possible teaching?

Old 06-22-2012, 06:39 PM

304 posts, read 744,078 times
i just want to thank you all VERY much for your replies. It has taken me a while to come back in here, I apologize. There are some very good suggestions here. We are trying not to get discouraged, there is no gauranteed path any more in this economy. Again, thank you so much.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:47 PM

304 posts, read 744,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I answered up thread but I can't stop thinking about this thread. It makes no sense to me that someone who doesn't really care what he does and only really wants to make $20/hr, would put in the time and effort to take all those pre req's and try to get a doctorate (3-4 more years); then when that doesn't work out, balk at other programs that would take 2 more years and loans. Someone who doesn't care what they do would go to a technical school or utilize the degree he already has. Makes no difference to me, I just don't get it.
We have a complicated situation. My husband is extremely introverted personality (read probably Aspergers). We have a son who has multiple disabilities. SO the point is that while he does care, we need to do something so that we can have a better quality of care for my son, etc etc etc. We aimed high with the pharmacist idea, and my husband did love the sciences classes and was excited about it, but when it didnt pan out with the application (no we are not closing the door on the idea of applying again), we had to look at the next best thing. As compared to the severe stress we are under now with my son AND him making minimum wage somewhere adding more stress. So the "doesnt care" what he does part is just reflecting the aspect of the situation that falls under the desperation category. Hope that explains some. We are not balking at 2 more years, its just that that situation compared to the pharmacist situation is very different.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,102,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
We have a complicated situation. My husband is extremely introverted personality (read probably Aspergers). We have a son who has multiple disabilities. SO the point is that while he does care, we need to do something so that we can have a better quality of care for my son, etc etc etc. We aimed high with the pharmacist idea, and my husband did love the sciences classes and was excited about it, but when it didnt pan out with the application (no we are not closing the door on the idea of applying again), we had to look at the next best thing. As compared to the severe stress we are under now with my son AND him making minimum wage somewhere adding more stress. So the "doesnt care" what he does part is just reflecting the aspect of the situation that falls under the desperation category. Hope that explains some. We are not balking at 2 more years, its just that that situation compared to the pharmacist situation is very different.
Thanks for coming back to update. I understand needing good benefits. I have a son with some issues too. Good luck to you. Have you made any decisions on how to proceed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment