Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 09:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,008,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Then why do you dislike Wal-Mart?

If you dislike Wal-Mart, then you essentially dislike Free Market principles which is ironic in itself.
I dislike any company that doesn't strive to sell made in America products over cheap foreign crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 09:43 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,734,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Wrong. The government isn't accountable to shareholders
I never said they were.

Government is accountable to bondholders however.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I dislike any company that doesn't strive to sell made in America products over cheap foreign crap.
But they're only benefiting from the free market principles of producing/selling stuff at the lowest cost possible (by utilizing "cheap foreign labor crap) and making the most profit out of it.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I never said they were.

Government is accountable to bondholders however.
Um, not really. Bonds can default. It's rare, but they can and do.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
But they're only benefiting from the free market principles of producing/selling stuff at the lowest cost possible (by utilizing "cheap foreign labor crap) and making the most profit out of it.
And I don't have to support them. And anyone complaining about not being able to find a job should feel the same way. The more we import, the less we make here. The less we make here, the less workers will be needed. The less workers that are needed, the higher the unemployment rate will be. The more people who are unemployed, the hard it will be to find a job. It's not rocket science.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Um, not really. Bonds can default. It's rare, but they can and do.
So you don't know how a government operates either.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
And I don't have to support them.
But that's still no reason to cheer if they fail and dislike them if they're only utilizing the free market principles you think are so great.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
So you don't know how a government operates either.
Oh for Gods sake. Really? I don't? Maybe you need to learn something about investing, because just like running a business, you obviously have no clue. Municipal and government bonds can and do default. Period.

Do yourself a favor and do a little reading. Start here: U.S. Municipal Bond Defaults Rose in Past Two Years, Moody

Old 08-26-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
But that's still no reason to cheer if they fail and dislike them if they're only utilizing the free market principles you think are so great.
Sure it's a reason to cheer. I buy American. Do you?

By the way, last night I went to a little local bistro, had some locally made cheese and a glass of California wine. Delicious. The place is owned by a husband and wife who probably put in 80 hours a week between them--she works outside of the restaurant and that's what they live on, because they certainly aren't making a profit just yet, and they've got one employee. When was the last time you supported a local business like that? You'd rather collect your unemployment paid for by the taxpayers, complain about not being able to find work while buying foreign made crap at Walmart, and not do a damn thing to contribute to society.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Oh for Gods sake. Really? I don't?
Nope.

Long story short, a government entity sells bonds to fund their operations. It's like you taking out a loan for a car. If the government entity defaults on their bond payments (or basically your loan goes into collections), other investors will refuse to buy the city's bonds. Without those bonds in many cases (since the tax bases of many municipalities have been wiped out over the last 30 years thanks to corporations lobbying for free trade, no enforcement of illegal immigration and criminally low taxes), the governments wouldn't be able to fund their operations and provide the services their citizens are entitled to. A municipality's default, depending on how big the municipality is, can also negatively impact the credit rating of every other community surrounding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment