Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 PM

991 posts, read 1,106,363 times

Advertisements

I work as a management accountant for a large corporation; I have 6 years of experience with this same company since finishing college. I completed graduate level study at the local uni while working to meet state CPA licensure requirements. Yesterday I got my score in for the fourth (and last) section of the CPA exam and I passed. I am wondering if I should start pumping out resumes? I have a couple connections through my state Society of CPAs chapter and I was thinking of finessing those. I have a standing offer from a fellow CPA who runs a firm, but I have not given him any answers on that yet.

I do like my job - the pay is good, I get 5 weeks of vacation, my employer paid for some of my schooling, and is providing me with a bonus for passing the exams. In my current position I design/program accounting modules for our accountants and accounting clerks to use in processing entries and cash disbursements. My strengths are in auditing and accounting system planning & design. I also feel that my skills are valuable enough for me to test the waters a bit in the city where I live.

I do feel loyalty to my company, and they did bear some of the costs for me to meet state requirements. There exist no contractual requirements, but I feel I would let my boss down by making an exit after they helped me through this process. I am kind of torn on this issue...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,843,901 times
You passed the exam, but you aren't a CPA until you get your license. Have you met the experience requirement at your current job [that is, are you under the supervision of a licensed CPA?] If so, it sounds like it is probably just a matter of passing the ethics exam and sending in your application.

Honestly, I don't know that I would leave your current job unless it was for something better, and your job sounds much better than a lot of jobs in public accounting--it actually sounds more like the type of job people get when they decide it's time to leave public accounting.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:16 AM

130 posts, read 253,011 times
It actually sounds like you are in a perfect position for a promotion.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 AM

5,905 posts, read 4,409,221 times
Quote:
Honestly, I don't know that I would leave your current job unless it was for something better, and your job sounds much better than a lot of jobs in public accounting--it actually sounds more like the type of job people get when they decide it's time to leave public accounting.
Exactly what I was thinking. haha. There's a reason public accounting has high turnover. People leave for industry for better pay and hours.

Other than that, do what makes you happy. I don't see a point of making a change just for the sake of making a change if you're happy with where you're at. Just keep learning new skills, and never stop looking for something better---but remember the grass isn't always greener.

Also, I wouldn't show them loyalty. They would most likely get rid of you in a second regardless of how much you needed the job. Do what is best for you and/or your family.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,060,080 times
Being a CPA and having system/programming experience can be a huge advantage. Some of that depends on what software you work with, but I have seen people like that demand a very good salary. That is also a very good combo for moving in to consulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment