Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Definitely, they have profiles of small business owners all the time and what usually surprises me is how little many of them make. Sure a lot of them go on to become quite successful but I've read countless stories of the small bakery owner making $45k, the bookstore woman paying herself $35k, the owner of the cafe pulling in $50k, small printing business $30k, etc.

Yet you see people who believe they buy a new Mercedes every year and can just snap their fingers and double the salary of all their part timers. Serious reality disconnect.
What people fail to take into account is these value hungry employers depend on value hungry customers to support the business. I felt kinda bad leaving my last job. I could tell the owners were struggling. They were doing everything they could to stay competitive. They invested many millions that year into the business in the way of the latest equipment and technology. They were doing everything right, and still offering decent wages, health insurance, etc for the workers. Yet, for all the risk, they were driving 8 year old vehicles, had to downsize to pretty modest homes, and you could see the fear and uncertainty in their eyes. For a company that was making millions a year in sales, there just wasn't much left over in the way of ROI. Honest business folk in this country are dealing with stress that most people would crack under. Dishonest businessman and politicians are living better than ever though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

Yet you see people who believe they buy a new Mercedes every year and can just snap their fingers and double the salary of all their part timers. Serious reality disconnect.
Correct. These are the clowns who view the world from their net pay, not recognizing besides their GROSS pay, the employer had to pay FICA, Medicare, State & Federal Unemployment Insurance, Workers Comp, Disability, Business Insurance, and in many cases added Health Care, Holiday and Vacation Pay, and Life Insurance,too.

Plus of course Property Taxes, rent, utilities, materials, and too many other extras to mention.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
You can give your opinion, as an opinion, and I would argue it as an opinion, but thats not what you did. Your statement was phrased as a fact.
...90% of everything on these forums is an opinion. I never claimed anything was a fact. I didn't know I had to spell out the obvious to you.

Quote:
This is irrelavent. If jobs are as easy to get as the original poster I responded to said they were, it shouldnt take more then simply sending out a few resumes to get an interview. Id figure if there were so many people fighting over recent grads, that at least ONE of the 300+ jobs I sent at minimum a resume to would have bit.
Why shouldn't it take more than sending a few resumes to get an interview? That is the easiest, laziest way to look for a job. People don't want to hire someone who does the minimum. So let me ask again, aside from sending resumes, what did you do to hunt for a job?

Old 05-18-2012, 07:37 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The national economy was still fine. I've switched jobs during the recession but I'm not claiming that should be easy for everyone.

If you graduated during good economic times eight years ago and have only done temp jobs I have little sympathy. Kids graduating right now have some reasons to complain.
I havent done only temp jobs, a temp job was my first job out of college. Try reading.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Correct. These are the clowns who view the world from their net pay, not recognizing besides their GROSS pay, the employer had to pay FICA, Medicare, State & Federal Unemployment Insurance, Workers Comp, Disability, Business Insurance, and in many cases added Health Care, Holiday and Vacation Pay, and Life Insurance,too.

Plus of course Property Taxes, rent, utilities, materials, and too many other extras to mention.
What part of the median INCOME of entrepreneurs is MUCH higher then that of the standard American, do you not grasp.

INCOME is not equal to GROSS REVENUE.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:48 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Will never forget a man that is now deceased. This guy died and was worth about 15 billion..from what I could find...probably more. He took great pride in the fact that he could lean back in his big leather chair and quietly command his little empire. I once asked him after he bought a communications device that orbits earth...How about letting me in on the business and let me learn..He said- That particular company was entirely controlled by "four highly focused" men..who I assume were lawyers...You would think that this old guy would give me a break.

But no- he knew that I was crafty and intelligent..probably more intelligent than himself- He looked at me as some sort of threat- and did all in his power to push me to the level of slave....It was not about money- It was about maintaining power and domination.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why shouldn't it take more than sending a few resumes to get an interview? That is the easiest, laziest way to look for a job. People don't want to hire someone who does the minimum. So let me ask again, aside from sending resumes, what did you do to hunt for a job?
Lets see, if I can remember

I went to 3 job fairs, most of which had lame jobs, but I talked to several company reps at each. In most cases, I dont think many of them had any real power to hire me, and in some cases, even make suggestions on a hire.

As the months rolled a little bit, I tried to call some of the companies, I was able to get in contact with a couple managers, which didnt amount to anything. They didnt show any interest in a recent grad.

I applied in person at dozens of places, spoke to a few managers, the couple managers I actually got even luke warm response from, I called back until it was clear they had no interest in further speaking with me. One grocery store, I called every other day for 2 weeks leaving messages. I know what you are going to say already on this, so, let me beat you to the punch. Its not me, my appearence, or my communication skills. In my life, Ive been on 20 interviews, and been offered the job 17 of those times, and only 1 I have been flattly refused. For one the contract I was getting hired to work on was pulled, and the other, I was offered a higher job further from my house that I didnt want.

Things like Linkedin and Facebook were in their infancy, and practically useless, but I did exhaust family members and any people I knew at college. Largely the people I knew from college either had no pull at the job they had, had some crap restaurant/hotel job they themselves were trying to escape, or were having problems finding work at all.

I couldnt take any college internships, because I didnt have the luxury of NOT working 40 hours a week at a real job, paying actual money, during college.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yes, that Michael Savage. And bashing Obama 2X a day does not make him a racist, no matter what a bunch of do nothing liberals think
You obviously have no comprehension of the complete Savage body of work. You should look in to it.

Quote:
Did you try searching for work outside Virginia? The wages and salaries there aren't exactly 1st worldly in many professions...
I have, I have sent numerous resumes to New York City, and both Raleigh and Charlotte, NC. I even focused on companies that have operations in the area, so that interviewing could be easier, no dice. I also have tried numerous government jobs as well, which could operate similiarly, still nothing.

Outside of dropping everything and doing a stupid thing like moving with no job, thats not really seeming like its going any where.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
There really are more people than one would realize that have graduate around 05-06 and either got crap level jobs with no practical experience, or worse.
Thats kind of where I ended up. My whole entire career was retarded by the fact that I ended up working 1.5 years as a perma temp when I got out of college where the only transferable skill I could really put on a resume was Excel experience.

For better of worse, where you end up right out of college has a tremendous bearing on where youll be for at least a decade or so.

Students who get on with the Big 4 are probably already in private CPA firms or in some sort of officer position making 50k+ easy. The accounting student who ended up in some AP or general office job, probably is at the staff level at best in that same time frame.

The kid who got recruited by Wall Street is probably on a trading desk by now with a potential salary of hundreds of thousands. The kid who ended up taking some low level jr analyst job, or a general office job, would be lucky to be in a senior level analyst position, or ending up moving in to a mid level accounting job.

The kids who ended up in the crappy first jobs will also end up having to "jump" jobs, maybe frequently, to have any real opportunity, which damages their resume even further.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:37 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Lets see, if I can remember

I went to 3 job fairs, most of which had lame jobs, but I talked to several company reps at each. In most cases, I dont think many of them had any real power to hire me, and in some cases, even make suggestions on a hire.

As the months rolled a little bit, I tried to call some of the companies, I was able to get in contact with a couple managers, which didnt amount to anything. They didnt show any interest in a recent grad.

I applied in person at dozens of places, spoke to a few managers, the couple managers I actually got even luke warm response from, I called back until it was clear they had no interest in further speaking with me. One grocery store, I called every other day for 2 weeks leaving messages. I know what you are going to say already on this, so, let me beat you to the punch. Its not me, my appearence, or my communication skills. In my life, Ive been on 20 interviews, and been offered the job 17 of those times, and only 1 I have been flattly refused. For one the contract I was getting hired to work on was pulled, and the other, I was offered a higher job further from my house that I didnt want.

Things like Linkedin and Facebook were in their infancy, and practically useless, but I did exhaust family members and any people I knew at college. Largely the people I knew from college either had no pull at the job they had, had some crap restaurant/hotel job they themselves were trying to escape, or were having problems finding work at all.

I couldnt take any college internships, because I didnt have the luxury of NOT working 40 hours a week at a real job, paying actual money, during college.
So let me get this straight, you didn't do an internship because you wanted money, but the fact that you didn't do an internship helped push you into not getting a lucrative job? That doesn't sound like the best plan to me.

To give you an idea of what you are up against, the summer intern we have this year needs cash, so he is working nights/weekends on top of the internship doing landscaping so that he can make money.

Personally, I have been turned down initially to two of my last three jobs (as well as to the company that I interned with). I kept at it for a few months, got to know the hiring managers better and ended up changing their minds. With all due respect, from what you described, you have given up fairly quickly. Try to actually stick with it, and you might have more luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment