U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-10-2012, 07:57 PM

155 posts, read 68,228 times
It's a sad state of affairs but nobody cares. As long as people have their cell phone, flat screen TV, SUV, Facebook, credit cards, and fast food, they are "OK." This really is what America has come to, being a consumer and buying the same things as everyone else. Going to college and getting the same degree as everyone else. Wearing the same shoes as everyone else. Oh, and I forgot to mention the cookie cutter houses. American's love to live in a house that looks like the neighbour's house(but only a little nit nicer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-10-2012, 08:36 PM

7,761 posts, read 4,385,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Not in my experience. My last 4 corps, all financial results were shared with all employees at quarterly meetings within 4 weeks of quarter end. Many literally slept through the meetings, many listened intently. The key things to watch is operating profit versus prior years, plus backlog/order trends. At the departmental level, the same stuff matters for your business unit. Also watch capital expenditures-if new machines and tools are not being purchased at the rates they were last year, 2 years ago, 5 years ago, get ready for the padlock. If purchases of this stuff are healthy, the execs have faith in the future of the company.

OT is NEVER a good indicator by itself. Our local facility ran a department 60 hours/week for 2 months. Why-simple, while they had a few big orders, backlog stinks, so they were told NOT to add employees in the department. But they worked more OT than ever.
I wasn't working in that type of place in 2009. I was buckling down on an $11/hr fabrication job and 2 part time jobs. We didn't have the luxury of quarterly reports and business forecasts. If the boss said he doesn't need you anymore, it meant the work was slowing down. Figured I would have more security in a lower paying job if it meant I could be close to family. Guess I was wrong. Back to square one... Work a good paying job and hope for the best.

Unread 05-11-2012, 04:46 AM

2,529 posts, read 2,215,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
There are good jobs for good pay. They come with experience. Part of the issue is the employment market has contracted to such an extent, global competition, and a glut of college grads. Add to that the sheer volume of debt many possess, and they have to accept any type of job just to try to pay it down. I think the debt part is making them into pseudo slaves, but give it time. College doesn't give you skills. That comes with time and experience. After earning a measurable skillset, you can bargain for a better wage. Unfortunately, entry level opportunities where you can learn are hard to come by, and there are tons of people chasing them.

For the time being, your going to get paid crap money for what will probably be an easy job. Take my word for it, my life was a lot less stressful when I didn't have money, and didn't have decent employment. When I get burned out on it, I jump to mediocre paying jobs that cover the bills as a form of vacation. There is more to life than money, and it's usually when you accumulate a little that you find that out. Just worry about building a resume for the time being and things will work out.
I'm so sorry but this post is a bunch of bull.

People who say there is more to life then money are the people who can't get money.

Everything in this country is based off money.

The amount of respect you get.
The food you eat.
The car you drive.
The clothes you wear.
Hell money in this country means better health.

Unread 05-11-2012, 05:26 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,707,572 times
Life is more stressful when you don't have enough money. It's less so when you do have it. I don't see rich people stressing over paying bills, rent and putting food on the table. So yes, that post is bull.

Unread 05-11-2012, 05:28 AM

7,761 posts, read 4,385,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I'm so sorry but this post is a bunch of bull.

People who say there is more to life then money are the people who can't get money.

Everything in this country is based off money.

The amount of respect you get.
Yes, is your so fragile and delicate to give a crap what others think of you, I guess this would be true.

And when you say "cannot get money"... There are many ways to get money. Some go to the bank and withdraw from their savings accounts, and others max out their credit cards. Both can "get money". I certainly wouldn't suggest the latter is the wisest of choices though, but it was the most utilized. Everyone wants to live "the good life".

Quote:
The food you eat.
The car you drive.
The clothes you wear.
How expensive is it to cook your meals at home? A whooping $25-$30 a week should be plenty for one person. Maybe if people would cut out the damn processed foods and worthless sodas. Heck, if they put the extra money away instead of subscribing to the next step up cable package, they could afford to make a healthy down payment on a new car.

And I have seen plenty of very attractive cars in the $20,000 range. Not a bad deal at all, and if you take care of it (wash, wax, change the oil on time, regular maintenance) a new car can easily last 10-15 years, and still retain it's appeal. Learn how to detect symptoms of problems, and you stand a better chance of detecting future problems before they become major problems.

If that is a stretch, auto auctions are a great way to get excellent quality used vehicles on the cheap. Helps if you have someone with dealership status, because they can inspect the vehicles prior to auction. I have seen cars that I would love to drive go for 4K-5K. They were practically giving Lexus away left and right around 2009. Turns out a lot of people really couldn't afford to drive those vehicles.

Quote:
Hell money in this country means better health.
No, your lifestyle, diet, and even emotional health means better health. Cut out the binge drinking, fatty and sugary foods, buy some running shoes and use them, and turn off the stupidity that dominates the airwaves, and maybe you can start hedging against the ridiculously high costs of health care in this country. What, did you think 1/3 of Americans being obese was not going to do something to the health care insurance costs in this country?

And when the economy finally turns, try saving some of your hard earned money instead of upgrading to the highest form of lifestyle your income can support. Here's an even better idea... Shred the credit card and pay everything in cash. If you cannot afford it, don't buy it.

And just cause you say it so, doesn't mean it's so. In this case, it means you have a very narrow and limit understanding of how money really works.

Unread 05-11-2012, 05:40 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,241,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Random dude is right. I do not see the economy returning to pre recession levels. In fact I see massive underemployment in the future. We are becoming a low wage service economy. Our labor rate has dropped to 63.6% working it keeps falling. Since January of 2009 8 million people have dropped out of the labor market. Tons more dropped out last month which lower the rate to 8.1%
If those 8 million came back into the labor market the unemployment rate would be 10.9% We are not even adding jobs at replacement level 115k last month. We need a 150k a month just to keep pace with the growth of our population. The unemployment rate is dropping only because the labor market is getting smaller not because any jobs are being created. Once you add in the underemployed the picture is that much worse.
One could argue and I think someone did below that what you saw in pre-recession was a bubble and people and jobs are NOT worth as much as what we would like them to be.

Also, not many college grads are going to come out of college with little to no experience and make 40k+ for just showing up to work. It takes time to build skills to one day be able to get 50k or 60k or even higher.

My first few "entry level jobs" paid in the 22k-29k territory. In fact when I took a step back in 2005, I was making less than 30k. It was a calculated move and I now I make in total comp 6 figures.

Did I "deserve" for what I brought to the table even 50k back in 2005? No.

Heck I don't even poo poo the Starbucks counter or retail jobs. I have known several who have used those jobs as a launching career into management and then moved on. Sometimes you HAVE to get some experience before you can move on to something better.

Not to say that there is a promise if you work in a low skilled position that you will even move up the top. Same applies for folks I know who are college graduates who work low level generic office work for large corporations. Some of them just are not going to move higher for a variety of reasons: myopic thinking, unable to see the long term, unable to connect the dots for where their position fits in, afraid of change, etc.

Unread 05-11-2012, 05:43 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,241,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote_Control View Post
It's a sad state of affairs but nobody cares. As long as people have their cell phone, flat screen TV, SUV, Facebook, credit cards, and fast food, they are "OK." This really is what America has come to, being a consumer and buying the same things as everyone else. Going to college and getting the same degree as everyone else. Wearing the same shoes as everyone else. Oh, and I forgot to mention the cookie cutter houses. American's love to live in a house that looks like the neighbour's house(but only a little nit nicer).
I tend to agree with this.

People think they are entitled to all of those things.

People don't think they are "living" unless they can afford all of those things. When people talk of the idealic 50s and 50s my grandparents were not living high on the hog. They took a "vacation" to a state park with their kids and did car camping. They didn't have a television until my mother was in her early teens. They didn't have multiple cars, my grandmother worked, etc.

People want to consume here-- they want to pay the bottom barrel prices so they can have MORE.

Why have one summer dress when you could have 6?

Why have a few nice pair of shoes when you could have 20?

Unread 05-11-2012, 06:26 AM

5,507 posts, read 4,815,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I tend to agree with this.

People think they are entitled to all of those things.

People don't think they are "living" unless they can afford all of those things. When people talk of the idealic 50s and 50s my grandparents were not living high on the hog. They took a "vacation" to a state park with their kids and did car camping. They didn't have a television until my mother was in her early teens. They didn't have multiple cars, my grandmother worked, etc.

People want to consume here-- they want to pay the bottom barrel prices so they can have MORE.

Why have one summer dress when you could have 6?

Why have a few nice pair of shoes when you could have 20?
People's unrealistics values of themselves and the materialistic things they think they should be able to have are as much of a problem as anything in today's economy.

Unread 05-11-2012, 06:27 AM

5,507 posts, read 4,815,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Life is more stressful when you don't have enough money. It's less so when you do have it. I don't see rich people stressing over paying bills, rent and putting food on the table. So yes, that post is bull.
I think the studies show that happiness levels off once your income reaches 70k.

Unread 05-11-2012, 08:58 AM

1,024 posts, read 508,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I think the studies show that happiness levels off once your income reaches 70k.
Well, when you are poor it is stressful. It is hard to be happy when you are struggling just to meet even your most basic needs like healthcare or putting food on the table. I was happier when I was making $32,000 a year than I am now making $9.00 an hour.

FYI, I really don't care if I ever get rich. I just want to be able to make enough to pay for basic necessities like health insurance, rent, food, and clothing. I would be totally content with a prepaid cell phone and driving a Chevy Cobalt or Ford Focus. I don't need an Ipad, nor do I want one. I would like enough money where I could save a little instead of living paycheck to paycheck.

I am an asthmatic, so for me, having money DOES mean better healthcare. My asthma control medicine and health insurance are among some of the items I have had to cut out of my budget to make ends meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment