U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-14-2012, 08:24 AM

1,061 posts, read 572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm hoping this was meant sarcastically.

Where would we draw that line - only those with an income of ? could produce ? many children.

Interesting.
Okay, interesting thoughts. However, do you think it is a good idea or a single woman who works at Taco Bell to have a child? I don't, but then again it is her life, but I wish she would take responsibility and recognize the fact that you can't support a kid on minimum wage.

I know a few single women who work $8-$10 an hour jobs who have no problem reproducing. You and I are paying for their sexual activities because they all require assistance from Uncle Sam. I think that if a woman requires WIC or welfare, then she should be given some sort of education about methods of birth control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 AM

5,507 posts, read 5,130,755 times
Quote:

Where would we draw that line - only those with an income of ? could produce ? many children.

Interesting.
I'd say of you need government help you should not be having a kid.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,137,390 times
I see it all the time. People who aren't killing themselves trying to find work, are killing themselves working, one, two, three jobs to get by, or one job and assistance. It's an employer's market right now.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM

615 posts, read 587,059 times
Quote:

Interesting.
Yes it was sarcastic..

Old 05-14-2012, 03:44 PM

171 posts, read 154,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
The super-rich DO NOT WORK - they have others to do the work for them, and profiting off the sweat of their labor.
I agree, you start fixing the issue by repealing the sixteenth amendment (which was fraudulently ratified, anyway). You tax PROFIT, not, income. When a man, or a women, puts in a days work, it is an even exchange (time for money), there is no profit.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:48 PM

171 posts, read 154,468 times
Quote:

Interesting.
We could always go back to sterilizing people if they get low grades.

I'm kidding of course, and not advocating we go backward.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:53 PM

7,958 posts, read 4,950,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I doubt it was...lol.

I do wonder what a society consisting of only the "elites" would be like - let's just say that only the very rich could have children, and they're genetically programmed to be super-geniuses, highly ambitious, etc. After about a hundred years or so, this would all you'd have in this society. So, does that mean every single one of these people would have excellent, high-paying careers? Would everyone be a millionaire, since everyone would have the "right stuff" to become one? And what about the service occupations - who would want to be a lowly cashier, or a garbagean, or a factory worker?

Just some thoughts to ponder...
Yes, but many studies have shown an interesting correlation between money and IQ. As the IQ increased, one's value and appreciation for money decreases. There is indeed more to life than money.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:40 PM

8,270 posts, read 5,506,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Jobs were outsourced.
Nope, plenty of in my field.

Quote:
And now your stuck doing dirt work for little pay.
Nope, my work is pretty interesting and I'm fairly well paid.

Quote:
Employeers robbed people of their independence intentionally.
Nope, I've left one employer on my own free will to go work for another. Many times.

Quote:
Now people are forced to do things they don't want to do.
People are "now" forced to do things they don't want to do? Like 50 years ago people all skipped to their enjoyable jobs? 100 years ago all the coal miners and factory workers would sing and dance all day?

Quote:
People are settling with the medicority...becoming comfortable with less..
Yup, the 40 million iPads sold are all being used by people getting comfortable with less.

Quote:
Well of course you can't buy or do any of those things.
Nope. Most people can and do take vacations, go out to eat, and go to movies.

Quote:
Get my point?
Nope.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:15 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,111,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yes, but many studies have shown an interesting correlation between money and IQ. As the IQ increased, one's value and appreciation for money decreases. There is indeed more to life than money.
Two of the brightest men I know have never had high paying careers. One of them is a member of Mensa, a chess master, and he has waited tables all of his adult life. He lives very simply and gives chess lessons in his free time.

The other guy has a PhD in Physics, is in his late 50s, and has been teaching English abroad for the past three years. Before he got that gig, he had spent all of his working years doing odd jobs all over the country, living in tents and out of old vans.

Both of these guys seem MUCH happier than my father the attorney, who is always stressed out by deadlines and is grumpy because of it. What is the point of being a millionaire if you are miserable all the time?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,475,830 times
Quote:

Interesting.
Or get rid of the women on welfare... period..

I guarantee most women underage would think twice about laying down with just any man...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment