Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:24 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post

Most people can make enough money to hover where they are at, but it's become increasingly difficult to find extra cash to pay down debt accrued during the Recession or get ahead to improve their lives.
.....or save enough for retirement, unless you are incredibly frugal and refrain from basic 'escapism' pleasures like eating out, vacation, etc etc. I've cut down greatly on things like buying lunch daily or indulging in overpriced specialty coffee, but admittedly I do take at least one 'get away from it all' vacation a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 03:55 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Except, in the USA the choice isn't that. The government guarantees every citizen food, clothing, and shelter. It's called Welfare, Section 8 Housing, and Food Stamps. The government also guarantees everyone a minimum of health. It's called Medicaid. There are also community-run and church-run food pantries, homeless shelters, and clothing bins. So even if you don't take the government's money, there are plenty of groups out there happy to give you food, clothing, and shelter. There are even medical clinics that will give you free checkups, certain vaccines, and antibiotics.

The government gives all this away, because we taxpayers pay for it. If this concept is displeasing to you, there are parts of the world that don't provide all this for its citizens. Of course, you won't need an apartment or house, because you'll be living in a tent with half your tribe. And you won't need clothes because it's sub-tropical. And you won't need food - just go out and hunt. And don't forget to bring back an extra buck for the family.

OR - you can be grateful that you have a job, have a home, can buy your own food, and pick out your own clothes even if you have to buy them at Goodwill.
Partially true. Most believe everyone has a right to enough food to survive. There is no right to shelter; just look at all the homeless. Supposedly there is the right to vote, but when the choice is between a bunch of bozos who are equally "bozonic," what good is that. But definitely employment is a privilege, not a right.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:18 PM

460 posts, read 1,139,811 times
Wage slaves

Old 06-14-2012, 05:48 PM

810 posts, read 1,762,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
You're right, unfortunately.
The new american dream for 2012. I dream of just being able to pay my bills each month. I really need to look into leaving California.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
The new american dream for 2012. I dream of just being able to pay my bills each month. I really need to look into leaving California.
Some of my relatives left California, after 30 years, to find work. Found lower cost of living too.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:07 PM

810 posts, read 1,762,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Some of my relatives left California, after 30 years, to find work. Found lower cost of living too.
I am sure they have. I have always been against leaving California, I admit to being a bit spoiled with the beach a few hours away, the mountains a couple of hours away (I am in the middle of Ca.), however since I lost my great paying job in 2010 I was forced to wake up and realize that there are 49 other states with opportunities.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:19 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,476 times
Quote:
Partially true. Most believe everyone has a right to enough food to survive. There is no right to shelter; just look at all the homeless. Supposedly there is the right to vote, but when the choice is between a bunch of bozos who are equally "bozonic," what good is that. But definitely employment is a privilege, not a right.
Your inner Nazi is showing.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
Your inner Nazi is showing.
I don't support what they did, but remember the Nazis got in when Germany was thrust into poverty and Germans wanted something better from their leaders.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:56 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
I don't support what they did, but remember the Nazis got in when Germany was thrust into poverty and Germans wanted something better from their leaders.
The fact their country had been at war with some country for the last 100 years or so didn't help.

Hitler came in and said it is "these guys" fault your life sucks.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:57 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
And selfish jerks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment