Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 03:13 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,503 times

Advertisements

Tons of college grads are underemployed. And it is not just the kids who majored in art. I was working as a temp. The guy in the cube next to me had been a temp over 2 years. His degree was in IT he made 10 bucks an hour. Same as me. They offered him a full time job at 10.60 an hour. But he had been offered 19 an hour at another job. It lasted a year company went belly up. He was out of work awhile landed another job. Been their maybe a year company now having huge layoffs. Most likely he will be out the door soon. Back looking at 10 dollar an hour temp jobs. He is a real good worker. But at the end of the day it is about the bottom line. Do more with less good skill sets or good degrees sounds great. But we are on a race to the bottom in terms of wages. I am sure the engineer who sold me paint at Lowes would agree. Stable living wage jobs are becoming a thing of the past. Low wage service jobs are the future. Even alot of smart people with better degrees and skill sets will end up there. Too many people with good skill sets not enough good paying jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 03:35 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
This is mostly because college grads are pushing HS graduates and less out of jobs like waitressing and McDonalds.

What you really need is the underemployment figures.
Sure there is some underemployment now but economy will improve eventually. The real gauge will be average wages.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
If that's the case than tons of college grads could get well paying jobs easily. Having a higher skill set doesn't guarantee *****.

I think that can be debated because not many people with a high skill set have problems finding a job. Not whether it's the job they want or not is something different.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:21 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Tons of college grads are underemployed. And it is not just the kids who majored in art. I was working as a temp. The guy in the cube next to me had been a temp over 2 years. His degree was in IT he made 10 bucks an hour. Same as me. They offered him a full time job at 10.60 an hour. But he had been offered 19 an hour at another job. It lasted a year company went belly up. He was out of work awhile landed another job. Been their maybe a year company now having huge layoffs. Most likely he will be out the door soon. Back looking at 10 dollar an hour temp jobs. He is a real good worker. But at the end of the day it is about the bottom line. Do more with less good skill sets or good degrees sounds great. But we are on a race to the bottom in terms of wages. I am sure the engineer who sold me paint at Lowes would agree. Stable living wage jobs are becoming a thing of the past. Low wage service jobs are the future. Even alot of smart people with better degrees and skill sets will end up there. Too many people with good skill sets not enough good paying jobs.
It's not completely out of the norm to be underemployed right after graduation. i don't know too many people who came right out of college and started a professional job.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:27 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I think that can be debated because not many people with a high skill set have problems finding a job. Not whether it's the job they want or not is something different.
The problem is in most cases, college provides a degree, not a skill set.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:35 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
The problem is in most cases, college provides a degree, not a skill set.
I agree and that's why it's so hard to get a job after college unless you know someone important.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:37 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
Quote:
I agree and that's why it's so hard to get a job after college unless you know someone important.
I agree with you on this part, I also like to add I think a large part of landing a job after college depends on what major you studied. If students don't know already its time they know now: All majors are not created equal. Ya the department heads will say "plent of people in X are able to get good jobs", tis all a lie.

However in the end I firmly believe connections trump all. If someone (with connections, networking, knows someone on the inside) majored in Philosphy or "X useless liberal art degree", he or she has just as good or even better shot at employment as someone who took a STEM degree.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:36 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Sure there is some underemployment now but economy will improve eventually. The real gauge will be average wages.

The economy is never going to return to pre recession levels, and it certainly will never again be at a point where there isnt significant underemployment.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:39 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:

No its not, its the same argument. Being unemployed and underemployed are essentially the same thing in terms of skill utilization.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
I agree with you on this part, I also like to add I think a large part of landing a job after college depends on what major you studied. If students don't know already its time they know now: All majors are not created equal. Ya the department heads will say "plent of people in X are able to get good jobs", tis all a lie.

However in the end I firmly believe connections trump all. If someone (with connections, networking, knows someone on the inside) majored in Philosphy or "X useless liberal art degree", he or she has just as good or even better shot at employment as someone who took a STEM degree.
It's just a shame that the connection that landed me my first professional job was in my field of study. I had to take on something new and forget about the goal I had before I graduated college because money had to start rolling in so I could help my mom with bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment