Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 03:03 PM

183 posts, read 801,318 times

Advertisements

I have a question for all you job hunting and HR experts out there!

I was just offered a job with a company that uses a third party vendor named Carco to do the background check.

As a part of the process, I had to fill out an online form for Carco in which they asked me to provide info on my last three jobs. So, I gave them the info and they have been able to verify my employment with my last three employers.

My question is this. In addition to my full-time work (which was verified), I have actually had other part-time/temp jobs over the last few years -- like I taught a class once a week (after work) and I worked part-time (after work and on weekends) for a local shop for a few months. I also temped for a month between full-time/permanent jobs a few years ago.

I didn't count these in my last three employers because they weren't my "real job" and, honestly, it didn't even occur to me to list things like that. Is it ok that I didn't give them this info?

I ask because the HR rep for the company I am going to work for told me that it is very important for me to be honest on the form, which of course I was. But now, here I am a week later wondering if I should have given them info about part-time/temp work instead of just info on my last three full-time permanent positions -- in other words "my real jobs."

Is this ok, in your opinions??? What do you guys think? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 04:08 PM

878 posts, read 1,652,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneyBlu View Post
Is it ok that I didn't give them this info?
I wouldn't worry about it... I've done the same thing in the past with no issues. I'm not going to list some part time job that lasted a week.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:12 PM

867 posts, read 1,587,472 times
They are concerned with your last FULL time jobs, the dates and salary. That stuff should match with what is on your application. That's what they meant about being honest. So if you said that at ABC Company you made $100,000 and but in actuality you made $50,000, that's the stuff that will get you in trouble.

They don't care about the temps, part-time night jobs that were for fun, extra money, interest, etc.

As long as you were honest about the "real" jobs, that's good. You did the right thing. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:41 PM

183 posts, read 801,318 times
Great! Thanks so much, guys.

I did discover that my temp job and my after-work retail job both report to The Work Number, so I'm sure this came up when they ran the check on me. I'm hoping that not disclosing these jobs won't hurt me. Would you send them a note or would you just let it go? They didn't ask me for salary info for any of my jobs, so I'm afraid that advising me to "be honest" was about my jobs and dates.

I'm just so afraid I've done something wrong because I submitted all my info last Monday (today is Saturday). I know that they had a hard time getting a hold of one of my employers and finally reached them this last Thursday. Yet, still no green light from HR -- and I can assure you that there's nothing negative in my history. Whats the holdup???

Old 05-16-2012, 05:32 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,389,968 times
Quote:
Great! Thanks so much, guys.

I did discover that my temp job and my after-work retail job both report to The Work Number, so I'm sure this came up when they ran the check on me. I'm hoping that not disclosing these jobs won't hurt me. Would you send them a note or would you just let it go? They didn't ask me for salary info for any of my jobs, so I'm afraid that advising me to "be honest" was about my jobs and dates.

I'm just so afraid I've done something wrong because I submitted all my info last Monday (today is Saturday). I know that they had a hard time getting a hold of one of my employers and finally reached them this last Thursday. Yet, still no green light from HR -- and I can assure you that there's nothing negative in my history. Whats the holdup???
Background checks can take forever. Also, you may not be the only person the company is having one completed on (not saying someone else is in the running for your job but that in big companies there is usually more than one job opening).

Not disclosing them will not hurt you. They asked for your last 3, you told them. Also, despite perception, background checks unless they are done for government clearance, etc. are usually to verify that you told the truth and that you worked for a certain employer when you say you did. Let's say you had a job for 3 months and quit because the job offer you were really waiting for came through. You don't list this job on the application. Unless they are doing a REALLY intense hunt, this job will not appear unless you tell them. Again, the check is to verify that you told the truth. It is called employment verification. I have never encountered ones that delve into what you DIDN'T say that were not for security clearance kinds of things.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:31 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,209 times
Quote:
I have a question for all you job hunting and HR experts out there!

I was just offered a job with a company that uses a third party vendor named Carco to do the background check.

As a part of the process, I had to fill out an online form for Carco in which they asked me to provide info on my last three jobs. So, I gave them the info and they have been able to verify my employment with my last three employers.

My question is this. In addition to my full-time work (which was verified), I have actually had other part-time/temp jobs over the last few years -- like I taught a class once a week (after work) and I worked part-time (after work and on weekends) for a local shop for a few months. I also temped for a month between full-time/permanent jobs a few years ago.

I didn't count these in my last three employers because they weren't my "real job" and, honestly, it didn't even occur to me to list things like that. Is it ok that I didn't give them this info?

I ask because the HR rep for the company I am going to work for told me that it is very important for me to be honest on the form, which of course I was. But now, here I am a week later wondering if I should have given them info about part-time/temp work instead of just info on my last three full-time permanent positions -- in other words "my real jobs."

Is this ok, in your opinions??? What do you guys think? Thanks!
I work for a background screening company.

The only thing you have to worry about is if you lied about your dates of employment.

Example: If you had a full time job for nine months: January to September at A Company, then you were laid off and worked as a part time temp for 3 months (Oct - Dec). Then if your next full time job didn't start until the next January, you should NOT put your A Company employment from January - December. Because when they call A Company to verify employment, they'll verify the dates you were employed. If you lied and said you were there 3 months longer than you really were, it will show up as a discrepency and they can choose not to hire you based on the fact that you provided false information.

Now if it were 7 years ago and you were off on the dates by a month or two....most companies don't care. They won't expect you to remember all of that information.

As long as your dates are pretty accurate you should be fine. If you have gaps in your employment that's a whole different topic all together and they may ask you in the interview "hey, what did you do from Oct - Dec? Then you can say you worked a part time job. Most companies don't care about a part time job if you're applying for a full time, but it wouldn't hurt to mention that in case it comes up.

Whatever you do, never lie about the dates of employment, they can find that out easily.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 24,071 times
Here is my concern I only put years in not months for my jobs cause it said either or....is that an issue?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:42 AM

190 posts, read 471,235 times
How about salary?? Let's say you are underpaid for your position and typically when getting a new role at a new company they ask your salary and give you a small bump. Say you inflate your current salary 5-10k so ensure that you don't continue getting burned by being underpaid. Can a background check show your earnings?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:31 AM

20 posts, read 84,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Worrid View Post
Here is my concern I only put years in not months for my jobs cause it said either or....is that an issue?
I just barely received an offer from a company and about to do a background check, and I'd like to know this too. I put down on my resume that my current job was from 2007-Present. I started in August of 2007. I sure hope that's not a problem.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 23,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
I work for a background screening company.

The only thing you have to worry about is if you lied about your dates of employment.

Example: If you had a full time job for nine months: January to September at A Company, then you were laid off and worked as a part time temp for 3 months (Oct - Dec). Then if your next full time job didn't start until the next January, you should NOT put your A Company employment from January - December. Because when they call A Company to verify employment, they'll verify the dates you were employed. If you lied and said you were there 3 months longer than you really were, it will show up as a discrepency and they can choose not to hire you based on the fact that you provided false information.

Now if it were 7 years ago and you were off on the dates by a month or two....most companies don't care. They won't expect you to remember all of that information.

As long as your dates are pretty accurate you should be fine. If you have gaps in your employment that's a whole different topic all together and they may ask you in the interview "hey, what did you do from Oct - Dec? Then you can say you worked a part time job. Most companies don't care about a part time job if you're applying for a full time, but it wouldn't hurt to mention that in case it comes up.

Whatever you do, never lie about the dates of employment, they can find that out easily.
What if the companies you've worked for previously are all shut and closed out.

How do you guys find information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment