Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,010 times

Advertisements

I know this may be kind of an odd question, but I was wondering what you think is an age at where its hard to find work strictly b/c of your age?

I guess I am asking (in a way) as to around what age do or are you most likley to be discrimated against because of your age? An employeer or company will not hire you because of your age. Has anyone experienced this and could you give an age range.

I'm concerned about this as I get older. I know that there is no exact answer, but maybe just a general idea for those of you that may be older trying to find work these days.

I was thinking maybe around late 40's to about 60 is when most people may experience a type of discrimination against them. Heck, in this day and age I wouldn't be suprised if you were discrimated against even younger say 35 to 60.

It just seems that places only want to hire fairly young people into a company. Say 22 to 35. Or maybe I have it all wrong...maybe they want older people.

Am I right about any of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 08:10 PM

137 posts, read 266,885 times
What industry? I would say in non-managerial IT it starts around 40, I would say for lower paying jobs where people don't stay around long anyways, it's probably much older.

If you ask people on the forum though, you are discriminated against if you are: Young, old, middle-aged, white, black, Hispanic, male, female, overweight, underweight, attractive, unattractive, educated, uneducated, smart, dumb, rich, poor, middle class, Muslim, atheist, a Broncos fan, an immigrant, or a citizen.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:26 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-in-NEO View Post
What industry? I would say in non-managerial IT it starts around 40, I would say for lower paying jobs where people don't stay around long anyways, it's probably much older.

If you ask people on the forum though, you are discriminated against if you are: Young, old, middle-aged, white, black, Hispanic, male, female, overweight, underweight, attractive, unattractive, educated, uneducated, smart, dumb, rich, poor, middle class, Muslim, atheist, a Broncos fan, an immigrant, or a citizen.
I am fully aware of all that, but I guess I was just saying in general.

I guess it was kind of a stupid/vague question, but....

Old 05-14-2012, 11:40 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
I know this may be kind of an odd question, but I was wondering what you think is an age at where its hard to find work strictly b/c of your age?
All depends on the industry.

In my industry experience counts for a lot.

I consider myself very fortunate to be such an industry where at 64 years old I could find a job easily enough if I had to.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Where I work experience is big, and in my group 3 people were hired after age 48 in the last 3 years.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 AM

841 posts, read 1,916,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-in-NEO View Post

True.
It's funny, though. I was watching something, a comedy from England made in the 1970s and the character was something like 40 or maybe 38? and he felt washed up.

It's attitude, not age. Maybe if you get older, you have to make your own opportunities if no one will take a chance on you. But if you feel down, google famous or successful people who made it at an older age.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
I find nothing wrong with age discrimination. Old people are far more risk of costly medical problems (this is the same reason I think it should be ok to discriminate against the obese and smokers for hiring purposes), and are far more likely to need additional people to complete tasks for them that a younger person could do themself. These are primarily technology related. Some old people are ok with technology and kept up with it enough to function, but the vast majority have difficulty with even the slightest of tasks or troubleshooting, in addition, they have no ability to use common business applications outside of the most basic of functions.

Point blank, old people are usually far more of a liability then their "wisdom" is worth.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 AM

841 posts, read 1,916,914 times
Not every older person is disabled or feeble.
It just seems to me everyone is lashing out at every other group because of the recession.

The blame is being put on the innocent person who wants a job. The lack of jobs makes everyone cut throat.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:38 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I find nothing wrong with age discrimination. Old people are far more risk of costly medical problems (this is the same reason I think it should be ok to discriminate against the obese and smokers for hiring purposes), and are far more likely to need additional people to complete tasks for them that a younger person could do themself. These are primarily technology related. Some old people are ok with technology and kept up with it enough to function, but the vast majority have difficulty with even the slightest of tasks or troubleshooting, in addition, they have no ability to use common business applications outside of the most basic of functions.

Point blank, old people are usually far more of a liability then their "wisdom" is worth.
Maybe for the worker really on the older end of the scale say 60+ or so but most 45-55 years olds heve been working with (developing?) technology for the last 25 years or longer. Staying extremly physicly fit into higher ages is becoming more normal as well.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Maybe for the worker really on the older end of the scale say 60+ or so but most 45-55 years olds heve been working with (developing?) technology for the last 25 years or longer. Staying extremly physicly fit into higher ages is becoming more normal as well.

I wouldnt say 45 would be the age Im talking about, Id say, maybe 50-55 is where old people start becoming a liability.

Also, even physically fit old people are much more of a risk of health problems then even the average younger person. For most cancers, people are hardly even at risk until age 40, and for almost every medical complication not directly caused by behavior, the elderly are at significantly higher risk for.

By the way, physical fitness amongst all ages is terrible at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment