Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:19 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Actually, a lot of these internships are strictly looking for communications/journalism majors.
They should be since that's what you'd be searching for. Editorial internships are definitely out there. When I was looking for them two years ago, I sent out eight applications, received three interviews and two offers. Check out that site I linked to, it is a great resource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 12:51 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,926,814 times
those job postings get hundreds and hundreds of apps if not more. Most employers will not bother sending a sorry your not getting an interview email.

Dont give up. Try to be resourceful and creative.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:13 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Your field of interest is highly competitive therefore you are dealing with a lot of other people who are willing to work for free just for the experience. There are a couple things you can do to help yourself with this search.

You may have already done this, but go get a job at the school newspaper - start there first.

Check with internships available right on campus in the PR office or Sports Information Office. I did both of those. The alumni office also puts out a magazine typically or you may find yourself doing more of this online but it's usually through the college Public Information Office.

Talk to your academic counselor and get to know them and they you. I did many interships in Public Relations solely based on my conselor's recommendation of me to other people looking for interns.

Look for short opportunities that may not pay at first, but give you something for your experience on your resume or resume disc. I had a friend who was in a Television Production class and their final project required them to do a complete 20 minute show of say a news cast and advertising - the works. She asked me if I would read the news in her newscast for her project. Someone else asked me to do their commercials. I did it. The teacher just happened to be a producer at a television station and after seeing the project tapes hired me and I worked for him for the rest of the time I was in college and through that did PR video production for other places like the government on my own...you just never know. But rule of thumb is - start with who you know - not what you know, particularly in your field.

Put together a creative portfolio to send as a sample of your work. I got one internship at an ad agency because I put my resume into the form of a three fold brochure complete with photos of things and graphics. It provided them with my resume and samples of my work all on one page.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:37 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
if not already mentioned try to land an internship with your local town newspaper, I don't mean the star ledger or new york times, think small, that town newspaper that gets mailed out once a week. Il be checking my own hometown paper in a week or so to see if there are any openings

Old 05-17-2012, 09:55 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Start your own blog on a topic you find interesting. It's free and you'll create a "portfolio" of writing samples to email to employers. Get a Mac and start playing around with technology. For example, experiment with creating podcasts in GarageBand. Journalism jobs of the future will require an understanding of multimedia. I know a recent grad who works at a small paper in Iowa. She has to post her stories to the internet herself. It's not difficult, but it helps that she understands HTML and Web publishing.

Fashion journalism is one of the most difficult fields in the world to break into. You have to set your self apart in some way.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
just to give you an idea of what I am going through, in the past two weeks I have applied to about 15-20 editorial/publishing type internships ( sales, editorial positions etc...), in many cases the email was sent directly to a person, not a large HR email account that you never hear back from. Out of those 20 applications, 2 have responded. One of those responses resulted in an interview ( should be finding out late this week or early next week if I get the internship) and the other response informed me to apply for the fall since they are taking no more interns for the summer.

So out of 20, I got 2 back... 2 just 2. Ya its hard, I don't know about other internships but yes the editorial is tough. You have to assume every english, creative writing, journalism etc... is applying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment