Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:35 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Unfortunately, even the professionalism in firing has gone out the window.
That is so true. I once witnessed a coworker fired and it was the most deplorable thing I have ever seen.

Everyone knew this person was getting fired because the manager announced it through the halls...not "telling" per se, but comments to other managers she was on the phone with, etc. The manager was off the day this coworker was fired and she came in on her day off for the termination...in short shorts, braids on the side of her head like Pipi Longstocking and a sleeveless tank top. I was appalled and felt sorry for the person being fired. Even more so than I usually would, as it was just amazingly disrespectful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 12:55 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Unfortunately, even the professionalism in firing has gone out the window.

I have witnessed that as well.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:34 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I mean, how desperate do they want you to be? Do they think they are ABOVE other people and expect you to sit around day dreaming about their company?

Do you have to carry the phone into the bathroom and shower?

Why would someone in HR/screening call you, leave a message, say please call me to discuss your application, then NEVER return your call(s) made the next day?

Someone please explain what it takes to get business people to act as professionally as they expect job seekers to?

Does this happen to anyone else?

Yeah that is weird unless something about the way the person left the message sounded off. My voice is on my voicemai intro which is something I recommend all job seekers do when applying to jobs. Not sure if this is the case with you

Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Sadistic behavior is the norm these days in corporate culture. In short, yes, they *do* want you to sweat it out and suffer. There's no excuse for this behavior, but don't expect it to change anytime soon, sadly.

I think we've all been in this situation: my favorite was the local company that called me about a job they had, set up a phone interview, and then skipped out on their own phone interview and ignored me for the next week?! After that, they set up another phone interview... and skipped out on that one as well! I eventually got to an on-site with them, and they happily mailed me a rejection letter the next day. It doesn't matter that much since the place was horribly disorganized. Their own engineering manager admitted that on the best days, they were way behind schedule, so it's not surprising that the same incompetence extended into their HR and hiring practices.

Anyway, I feel that if a candidate made it to an on-site interview, the company has an obligation to inform him or her about the application status, even if the candidate didn't get the job or the job was cancelled. The candidate wasted hours of his or her time in the interview, so there's no excuse for the HR rep to not spend 5 minutes typing up a rejection email and sending it.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:23 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Sadistic behavior is the norm these days in corporate culture. In short, yes, they *do* want you to sweat it out and suffer. There's no excuse for this behavior, but don't expect it to change anytime soon, sadly.

I think we've all been in this situation: my favorite was the local company that called me about a job they had, set up a phone interview, and then skipped out on their own phone interview and ignored me for the next week?! After that, they set up another phone interview... and skipped out on that one as well! I eventually got to an on-site with them, and they happily mailed me a rejection letter the next day. It doesn't matter that much since the place was horribly disorganized. Their own engineering manager admitted that on the best days, they were way behind schedule, so it's not surprising that the same incompetence extended into their HR and hiring practices.

Anyway, I feel that if a candidate made it to an on-site interview, the company has an obligation to inform him or her about the application status, even if the candidate didn't get the job or the job was cancelled. The candidate wasted hours of his or her time in the interview, so there's no excuse for the HR rep to not spend 5 minutes typing up a rejection email and sending it.

No need in wasting energy on something you can't control. I been to interviews where I never heard back at all and realized I didn't get the job after 3 weeks. You are right but it's out of a candidate's control if a company doesn't call back so it's nothing to do but move on.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:47 PM

TVandSportsGuy: You are right in that it isn't worth the wasted energy, but everyone loses from this lack of communication. The candidate loses since they don't know what went wrong - was it their interviewing skills? Was the job cancelled? Did they ever really have a shot at the job? And the company loses out too since the candidate won't ever trust them again and will probably warn his friends who are looking for jobs to avoid "company XYZ" since they aren't honest with their candidates. All that damage just so some HR rep can get out of sending a generic form email - wow!

Old 05-23-2012, 03:55 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
TVandSportsGuy: You are right in that it isn't worth the wasted energy, but everyone loses from this lack of communication. The candidate loses since they don't know what went wrong - was it their interviewing skills? Was the job cancelled? Did they ever really have a shot at the job? And the company loses out too since the candidate won't ever trust them again and will probably warn his friends who are looking for jobs to avoid "company XYZ" since they aren't honest with their candidates. All that damage just so some HR rep can get out of sending a generic form email - wow!
You right, I remember since I didn't receive any feedback I would try and think what i could have done better and go from there since I didn't know for sure.

That's why now at the end of the interview I ask..."what's the next step in the hiring process and based on that answer I will know if I got the job or not

Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 PM

TVandSportsGuy: That's a good one - I use the same technique, asking about what the next step will be in the process and making it clear that I want to work for them. I think the actual workers and manager appreciate this, but HR reps sure seem to hate being contacted by candidates after an interview, even if one waits the standard 1.5 to 2 weeks and asks very politely about it.

This lack of communication probably started from some silly legal fear of being sued by job seekers, but that really doesn't justify it, and if the company sends out a generic email saying: "the job was cancelled," or "we found another candidate for the job," or "we're still looking for the right candidate," there's really no way to sue them over it.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:31 PM

428 posts, read 900,480 times
That sucks.... I got a job a month ago and I havent called in available to any temp service since then. But since getting my job I have a few temp services call wanting to know if I want to interview and one chic who found my resume on a website. Kinda ironic since when I was unemployed I couldnt get the stupid temp services call me all.... The latest one was today.... Ummmm no thanks I did well without you now leave me alone is what I want to call and tell them...

Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,041 times
Default Hr

I could have written this post...My phone has been in my back pocket for 4 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment