Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 04:41 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I finally got my final paycheck. I will talk with my deputy today. The deputy told Vons they have to pay me what they owed me, so I got the overtime I was owed and my final check.

Now I am going to see if there is any chance I will get a wage penalty from Von's.
Chances are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
The lady from the Labor Board told me she sent in a notification to Von's saying they have to pay me $328 for a five day delay. She took the day when the check was issued from the day I was let go.

So what happens next? Does Von's refuse to pay? Do I need to do more? What does the deputy do if they refuse to pay the waittime penalty?

Thanks for all the help so far! This money wil help me so much during college if I get it.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Many Mom and pops do not know labor laws. Many are no brighter than

I think Al Bundy was rather smart ... He had a job where he rarely worked, made enough to have a house in a good neighborhood, and support a wife and two kids.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
The lady from the Labor Board told me she sent in a notification to Von's saying they have to pay me $328 for a five day delay. She took the day when the check was issued from the day I was let go.

So what happens next? Does Von's refuse to pay? Do I need to do more? What does the deputy do if they refuse to pay the waittime penalty?

Thanks for all the help so far! This money wil help me so much during college if I get it.
They aren't going to refuse to pay you. The Labor Board is involved. They may try to delay payment or make a claim that they do not owe the money, but honestly it is pretty cut and dry. They didn't pay the money owed when you worked, so they pay the penalty.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
They aren't going to refuse to pay you. The Labor Board is involved. They may try to delay payment or make a claim that they do not owe the money, but honestly it is pretty cut and dry. They didn't pay the money owed when you worked, so they pay the penalty.
Ok. So I guess the Labor Board will get the money somehow. The lady on the phone finished saying "good luck", so I am thinking I have to do more or did she mean like good luck in my next job?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:51 AM

Next job I am guessing. When I went through it, they talked to me, said they were sending the demand and the next time I talked to them it was to let me know the money had arrived. I have never really heard of an employer refusing to pay when the demand letter is sent, as the Labor Board is basically telling Vons to pay you.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Next job I am guessing. When I went through it, they talked to me, said they were sending the demand and the next time I talked to them it was to let me know the money had arrived. I have never really heard of an employer refusing to pay when the demand letter is sent, as the Labor Board is basically telling Vons to pay you.
Oh okay

Old 06-07-2012, 05:13 PM

My deputy told me today that usually they pay up, but she says if they don't there would be a hearing where I present the voicemail, the demand letter, and the check as evidence.

My job said in a letter that "I didn't pass new-hire probation and was not terminated", but that's a spin of words. They terminated me during new-hire probation and scheduled in some one else to take my hours and did not pay me on the day they terminated me. They are also claiming I quit because I did not show up to work, but I stated I did not and they never received any notice to prove that.

Anyways, the manager at that Vons supposely got Manager of the Year, so if he goes to court and then collections has to get the cash then I am sure it will look bad on his record with Vons and especially since he is close to retirement.

Also, Von's would have to pick up the court cost. Plus, going to court is time off running their store. Going to court will not be a good option for them, but the manager over there is stubborn and a jerk, so he might go that distance.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:22 PM

However, none of that matters, as you were not paid when you were terminated. If you quit without notice, they had 72 hours to pay you, so either way, they broke the law. And your amount likely isn't enough to get them to appeal, etc.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
However, none of that matters, as you were not paid when you were terminated. If you quit without notice, they had 72 hours to pay you, so either way, they broke the law. And your amount likely isn't enough to get them to appeal, etc.
Alright, thanks thebunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment