Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 05:56 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
The year we live in is irrelevant. Right is right and wrong is wrong, and this doesn't change with time. It's my belief that society brainwashes today's women to take on a lifestyle they weren't intended for. We all have to live in society, but I, for one, do not have to agree with it. BTW, I said honoring women, not honorable women - women are the nurturers and should be respected for that, as opposed to how much money they earn.
I am not going to go through every single one of your post's but you said,
Originally Posted by us2indaup
Actually, I was merely curious to learn how unusual my point of view is. I had hoped I was wrong about the state of modern society, but sadly, this thread has proven me right. Honest American values and the ideal of honorable womanhood is all but dead. I grieve for the future because, if history is anything to judge by, the day will come when we will be an agrarian society again. I'm ready, I even look forward to it, but I am, indeed, in the minority.

The other poster (and myself included) felt THAT statement was offensive and judgmental. Just like your statement about the whole right is right and wrong is wrong as if this is writ in our DNA to ONLY follow XYZ philosophy.

Not all women are nurturers....just like men are all NOT nurturers.

We are human beings...with differences in biology sure- but women are not always given out the Nurturer card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 05:58 AM

417 posts, read 1,128,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
So... wonderful, enjoy your life. I neither support your nor don't support you. It's your life and as long as you don't expect me to support you via entitlements or charity for making that life decision-- then hey we are all good.
You've made many excellent points, and you've done so in a respectful manner. A pity so many posters here jump to the defensive rather than approach this subject intellectually, as you did.
And again, I simply don't see how I am being offensive. I'm speaking for myself and the many other women right here in our own American society who love and cherish a more traditional lifestyle.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
............... the ideal of honorable womanhood is all but dead.
The ideal of honorable womanhood. Not the reality of honorable womanhood. In the Victorian era, women were put on a pedestal in many ways, and this is what I was referring to. What is so offensive about that statement?

Old 05-25-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Do you have any plans for your day other than cleaning and cooking?
Gee...where do I start? I have to mow the lawn, do some laundry, weed the garden, help husband build a chicken coop, put the coldframe back together that the wind blew apart yesterday, prune the lilac bushes, monitor my baby guinea fowl every 15 minutes or so to ensure the temperature in their brooder is correct, writ out & mail some bill payments.............. I could go on.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:10 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
In the end you just sound bitter you had to work when you didn't want to. Why are you are blaming society? You are the one who failed to find a husband that supports your lack of working.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:11 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Gee...where do I start? I have to mow the lawn, do some laundry, weed the garden, help husband build a chicken coop, put the coldframe back together that the wind blew apart yesterday, prune the lilac bushes, monitor my baby guinea fowl every 15 minutes or so to ensure the temperature in their brooder is correct, writ out & mail some bill payments.............. I could go on.
You do all of that everyday.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:17 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
The saying goes: misery loves company. A lot of working women have husbands that do nothing or very little around the house. In essence they are sahm with full or part-time jobs. They are overworked and miserable and they want you to be the same way too. I work full-time and dh works part-time. He does the majority of the childcare and cooking with a little cleaning. I do the heavy cleaning and manage the finances. I've learned to keep folks out of our business because this works for us. Screw them...if they want to be a martyr and burn both ends of the candle have at it.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:25 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
The ideal of honorable womanhood. Not the reality of honorable womanhood. In the Victorian era, women were put on a pedestal in many ways, and this is what I was referring to. What is so offensive about that statement?
My only point to challenge is that even in the Victorian era-- not all women were put on pedestals. Now, I wouldn't mind having lived the life of Mrs Vanderbuilt at the Biltmore.. but the reality is the 99% were not so on the pedestal.

Around this time-- psychiatry was really developing. Women usually did not vocally express their own desires-- if they did they were labelled as ill or insane or hysterical. Or they were confide to the home to "rest" from their depression, etc. The reality is that most people are NOT happy being someone for someone else with little control over their own happiness or desires.

Women could be easily sent away by their closest male relative to an asylum.

Most women just didn't have time to think. For real women and not just the higher class ones-- housework was a huge drudgery. NO modern appliances-- many still had an even lower class woman helping them.

My point is that it is easy to look behind and pictures and movies, etc-- but if you really read a lot of literature of the era especially written by women, you see the undertones of women who don't have the choice of being Suzie homemaker or being independent. It was just not allowed.

Let's be honest-- Queen Victoria had a MUCH different life than the vast majority of women in the western world. Same for the 1% such as Mrs Vanderbuilt and her daughters.

For the majority-- life was not a time of being placed on a pedestal. They were still treated for the most part as second class citizens incapable of making their own decisions and condemned to "women's" ideals and activities.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:27 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
And again, I simply don't see how I am being offensive.
It isn't surprising you can't see it. But it is there. You are doing exactly what you wish others wouldn't do to you.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:31 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc138 View Post
I hope to be able to "twice bless" the girl I marry one day. By twice bless I mean generate enough income that she will be able to stay home. The quote comes from one of the former prophets(LDS Church) saying something like "Men, your wife will be twice blessed if she is able to stay home." As I'm 22 and single, I suppose I fall into the category of men looking for women like the OP.
Be proud! You aer in the 1% of the male population, and that percentage is something to be proud of. I am sure you will find a great Christian lady who will understand the lifestyle. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment