Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 02:21 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

I was once told that my raise would be small because I was married, and therefore didn't need the money.

So, what the hell was I working for then? For grins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 01:58 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
I'm a single childless woman in I.T. and believe me, it's a hindrance in the respect that I am looked upon with suspicion because of my marital/(lack of) parental status. Some people still assume childless + unmarried = lesbian, and will use that assumption against you whether it's true or not.

They also see you as point A for picking up slack because your time is less valuable than that of someone with children. They must think we singles spend all of our free time wining, dining, and sixty-nining. Erm nope!

Old 05-20-2012, 02:27 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm a single childless woman in I.T. and believe me, it's a hindrance in the respect that I am looked upon with suspicion because of my marital/(lack of) parental status. Some people still assume childless + unmarried = lesbian, and will use that assumption against you whether it's true or not.

They also see you as point A for picking up slack because your time is less valuable than that of someone with children. They must think we singles spend all of our free time wining, dining, and sixty-nining. Erm nope!

I had one married woman tell me she doesn't go "clubbing" and I didn't get it. She said, "you singles go clubbing." I said, I do? And this happened on the night shift!

Old 05-20-2012, 03:21 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

This is why now that I will shortly be single again, I'll stick to certain parts of the country. I'm moving back to Miami soon where really, no one cares = good. It's common for people to still be single and still go out to bars & clubs well into their 40's. As much as I like New England from an aesthetic point of view, it seems like people do nothing but marry & breed. It got to the point where I felt uncomfortable going to national & state parks because it was just families with kids. Shoot me for saying this, but I don't want to be in a place where those types of people make up seemingly 99% of the population.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:15 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
This is why now that I will shortly be single again, I'll stick to certain parts of the country. I'm moving back to Miami soon where really, no one cares = good. It's common for people to still be single and still go out to bars & clubs well into their 40's. As much as I like New England from an aesthetic point of view, it seems like people do nothing but marry & breed. It got to the point where I felt uncomfortable going to national & state parks because it was just families with kids. Shoot me for saying this, but I don't want to be in a place where those types of people make up seemingly 99% of the population.

I don't get it, because as a single person, I don't meet many men who are set on getting married. The talk now is not getting ripped off by women, not being taken (as if divorce gives everything to the woman and it's not joint marital property) and hooking up with someone means a surefire eventual divorce.
But I understand what you're saying. I get tired of listening to their whole encounter of taking the kids to Wallyworld, etc.
I get tired of the ones who think because they have to pick up their kids, etc., they should have special privileges.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:43 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Indiana is the same way. It seems all people do here is marry and breed. In some small towns here in Indiana, it seems like it is almost a crime to be single past the age of 20. I am 31 and just don't want to settle for any man. I want someone who will make a decent husband and father. Yeah, I date. I just haven't met "the one." Is that anyone's business but mine? I think not. What is the point in getting married to the wrong person if you are just going to be single again anyway?

In Arizona, no one cared if you were single. It was common place to see many singles in their late 20's, early 30's, and mid 30s.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Indiana is the same way. It seems all people do here is marry and breed. In some small towns here in Indiana, it seems like it is almost a crime to be single past the age of 20. I am 31 and just don't want to settle for any man. I want someone who will make a decent husband and father. Yeah, I date. I just haven't met "the one." Is that anyone's business but mine? I think not. What is the point in getting married to the wrong person if you are just going to be single again anyway?

In Arizona, no one cared if you were single. It was common place to see many singles in their late 20's, early 30's, and mid 30s.
I hate peer pressure. Frankly, I want to live someplace where people simply don't care and don't ask. It's none of anyone's business. I don't want to feel pressured into having to find a partner again just so that I am not perceived as some sort of "saddo" walking around national parks on his own. I have found only a handful of places in the US that seem to be completely "single friendly". It was never an issue in the UK, but here it seems like people think there's something wrong with you if you're not married with kids + a house with white picket fences by 30.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I don't get it, because as a single person, I don't meet many men who are set on getting married. The talk now is not getting ripped off by women, not being taken (as if divorce gives everything to the woman and it's not joint marital property) and hooking up with someone means a surefire eventual divorce.
But I understand what you're saying. I get tired of listening to their whole encounter of taking the kids to Wallyworld, etc.
I get tired of the ones who think because they have to pick up their kids, etc., they should have special privileges.
I don't care for that either, particularly if ALL they *** about is their children. I have a few friends & acquaintances in the UK & mainland Europe who have children, yet don't feel the need to talk about them 24/7 and are still the same people that I've always known. Is it an American thing?

Old 05-20-2012, 08:34 PM

130 posts, read 253,353 times
I sort of think that Singles get the harsh punishment too. A employer might be less likely to give a single person a extra bonus, or a extra promotion because they rather give it to someone who has kids out of guilt.

Why would this "kid" need a job, when I can give this kid who has 2 kids and a family support this job. Its all about using that persons guilt.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:42 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I have not noticed anything like that.
I hadn't either,and like you I am in Nj.
However,after a brief move to Nc ,I experienced it big time.
I think this stuff against singles happens more in the south,and conservative areas in general moreso than liberal areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment